Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Well poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'm pissed

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

That's pretty wild, season 2 was essentially unanimously praised everywhere I look. Maybe viewership was down enough after the season 1 finale upset a lot of people?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

~metrics~

quote:

Netflix’s metrics-driven approach shows up in other ways. For instance, it now routinely ends shows after their second season, even when they’re still popular. Netflix has learned that the first two seasons of a show are key to bringing in subscribers—but the third and later seasons don’t do much to retain or win new subscribers. Ending a show after the second season saves money, because showrunners who oversee production tend to negotiate a boost in pay after two years.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gross. I hope these decisions bite them in the rear end sooner or later. All their artistic good faith came from respecting creatives to make interesting choices. Seeing them calculate how to gently caress creatives the hardest while sanding off any hard edges in their content library is leaving a real poo poo taste in my mouth.

The OA is batshit crazy and season 2 was excellent. Not being able to see where it goes after that bonkers loving finale is a crime. I think I was most excited to see what S3 of this looked like than anything else on the platform. Certainly more than whatever mayonnaise poo poo they intend for Stranger Things season 4.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ah yes, of course nerds and their algorithms are once again back to ruining things.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Such a good show. Stupid Netflix.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's bullshit. Someone call Bezos

I mean, I'm fine with Netflix focusing more on miniseries but they should have at least given the current hit shows some chance to wrap it up with a half season or something. What they are doing is a dick move to the artists and the viewers.

Anyway, this show was liquid insanity and too good for this world. Goodbye :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are worse ways for a show to go out. There were some plot threads I'd have enjoyed seeing continue but I think the ending also works as like an open-ended conclusion where you can imagine the characters going off and waging this war against Hap through various dimensions.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Bummer. I have no idea what Season 3 would be like but given how much I enjoyed the weird beautiful journey of season 2 I'd definitely trust Brit and Zal to take it somewhere both beautiful and strange.

e: The OA sub on reddit is pretty sad and hilarious now.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 7, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is sad news.

I wonder if the longer production time also had something to do with the ultimate decision since I believe it was just Brit and Zal writing all the episodes (even if they weren't listed as the main writer).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Weirdly there's an article on the front page of BBC news about the OA being cancelled https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49249644

Don't usually see a fuss like that made when shows get cancelled so maybe there's a glimmer of hope someone else might pick it up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
is the OA cancellation all a ruse?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely not but it’s an amusing idea.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Seems like a risk the production team would take but Netflix wouldn't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I remember Netflix just dropping Bandersnatch out of nowhere with no advance warning so I guess it's not impossible. But yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

Was there a mailing campaign already? Did people send calamari to the head office?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

For anyone who enjoyed this, I'd highly recommend Jamin Winan's "The Frame" from 2014. I believe it's on Amazon Prime.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's too bad it was cancelled. I disliked the ending of Season 1 originally when I thought that was all there was going to be, but I enjoyed Season 2 and was really interested to see where it was going to go if they made a third season.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
My brain has been sufficiently broken by world events that I’m giving some credence to the whole “it’s an in-world cancellation, just you wait” conspiracy theory.

(Crack, ping!)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Also recommended:

Ink, Jamin Winan's other film, from 2009. On Amazon Prime.

The Discovery, from 2017, which you've probably seen. On Netflix.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just binged season 2 this weekend. I loved season one but I guess season 2 fell into some advertising black hole where I'm like "ooh it finally came out!... wait.. 4 months ago?!"

Anyway it was so good I feel like it even elevates the first season in retrospect. One of my only nitpicks with season 1 was finding the books felt like they were confirming to the viewer she made it all up and I thought they just retconned it in season 2 but they finally acknowledge and tie it up a few episodes in. as a gay guy I lolled at the grindr subplot

I'm with that earlier poster, if this really is cancelled I'm ok with where it ended. Felt very Twin Peaks "What year is this?", showing that the battle will continue forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about the S2 finale

I guess the obvious interpretation is that the final scenes occurred in our (the audience's) dimension or something very close to it. But I'm thinking that when we got Kareem's viewpoint through the rose window, we were getting a view of events from someone who sees the whole pattern and connectedness. The movie set isn't necessarily a literal movie set, but an analogy that's presented to us to make sense of that kind of "God looking down, seeing every little detail" and the analogy is reinforced by seeing actors as the true selves of the characters they were playing. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.