Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
"Do What You Know."

"Not a lot of people realize," sez Steve, "that the dentist character in Little Shop of Horrors is actually based on me: there's very little acting in that scene. Obviously, I'm not a dentist, but the story about torturing cats as a young boy? 100% autobiographical; and I really do love causing other people pain and huffing nitrous."

The takeaway? When it comes to writing or performing comedy, the closer the subject is to you, the more authentic you can be, the easier the laughs! Audiences can tell when you're faking it, so don't fake it: be authentically hilarious! After all, as the saying goes, "it's funny because it's true!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!!!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I learned he ain't funny and never has been

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
i loving hate steve martin. no joke

can anyone explain what his "big break" as a comedian was? cuz i really dont get how he got into the limelight

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

End of Shoelace posted:

can anyone explain what his "big break" as a comedian was? cuz i really dont get how he got into the limelight

Q: what makes Steve Martin like a banana?

A: he's very a-ppealing!!! And he's white-- on the outside AND upside! Upside his head, that is!
Per the Maestro himself, his hoary locks are the secret sauce in his penne of success, and he has been bleaching his hair since the 1970s. "I like to purify myself," he adds, "inside and out. I am unblemished, washed in the blood of the lamb." Thanks for the tip, Steve!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

End of Shoelace posted:

Wasn’t it SNL?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The Tears of a Clown

Think you have to be cheerful and happy all the time to make other people laugh? Not so, according to Steve! "A lot of comedians are actually very depressed, very dark people," he says. "Christopher Guest, for instance, now I love the guy but he's just a big stick in the mud in person, and comedy is his job. That's just how he is. And the less said about the demons living in Bill [Murray]'s head, the better."

Asked if he himself is one of these "Dark Comedians," Steve pauses and talks about his own struggles. "Everyone's got an emptiness in themselves, a hunger right at their core. And it's gonna eat. It can't not eat. You starve it, it'll eat you. So you feed it. You feed it with other people-- your relationships, and everything that you sacrifice to it -- you feed the beast."

Good to know that even sad-sacks can get down to the brass tacks of slinging out yucks and raking in the laffs!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Steve Martin was extremely fortunate that his wacky shtick hit the world at the exact same time everyone started experimenting with drugs

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
A Wild and Crazy Guy? Not So Much.

Being a comedian and working in theater or the stand-up rotation can make you rich -- rich with laughter, anyway! Where money's concerned, comedy can be as stingy as Scrooge.1 "Gigs" as comedians call them, individual jobs within the "gig economy" that makes up the comedian's world ("or as I prefer to call it, the giggle economy!" -Steve) are unstable, can end without warning, or leave very little lucre left over for financing your life: buying chow, renting beds, &c. How do you get around this? I'll let Steve take over from here. "Index funds, index funds, index funds. Invest early, invest in equities, have the bulk of your investment be in long-term index and mutual funds. Time in the market beats timing the market ... every time." Wise words from a "wild and crazy guy?" Now I've heard everything!

1. Ebenezer Scrooge, a character from Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," and a proverbially enormous skinflint, rich as Dives2 and just as dratèd before a miraculous change of heart inspires him with generosity

2. Dives, or "the rich man," found in Luke 16: 19–31, a proverbially enormous skinflint, who is rich and dratèd to eternal torment for his lack of generosity!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lesson #37: It doesn't matter how attractive and blonde you are, he still gets really upset if you ask him to wear the nose from Roxanne when you go down on him.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

rubber chicken: funny
regular chicken: noisy, sharp beak

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Fart jokes don't put butts in the seats.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Fart jokes don't put butts in the seats.

"You could say farts lift butts out of them, even."
-Steve Martin

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I like "steve"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That arrow through the head thing? TOTALLY FAKE!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so reddit told me steve martin had a party once where he invited a bunch of celebrities and surprised them it was his wedding. Ha!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's this about Bill Murray having inner demons?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“I hadn't seen a body put together like that since I'd solved the case of the Murdered Girl with the Big Tits.”

That’s about his best line. I also like the bit where Michael Caine is smashing him across the shins with a poker. Not a lot to show for forty years in movies.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Instrumental to Success

"Learning an instrument is just about the best thing I've done for my act." Steve learned banjo after seeing the comic potential of famous piano-based comedians like Victor Borge and Liberace. "I was never able to wrap my head around keyboards like Vic," Steve smiles as he reminisces, "never understood the all the jokes about twelve-inch pianists and the like. I settled on the banjo because there's something inherently funny about it. Just say the word: banjo. Banjo. Banjo. Jesus Christ. Why do you think that people are still making jokes about Deliverance? It's all in the b - a - n - j -o."

So what makes an instrument funny? Steve can't say for sure, but in Lesson 21 he shares an extensive list of the funniest--and frowniest--instruments to use on stage. Top 3? Banjo (of course!), mouth harp, and theremin. The fou-fou bottom bitches of the bunch? Cithara, aulos, and lyre. "Nobody wants to hear anything Greek," Steve says. "I've never met a funny Greek, or an honest one for that matter. Frankly, the entire culture disgusts me." He pauses a moment. "Too much influence from the east-- first Persia, then the Turks. It's ruined them." Firm, but fair!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Boy these blurbs are hilarious. I sure will pay 100 bucks for this course in funny

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You know that feeling when the steak is on the grill and your mouth is watering? Do vegans feel like that while mowing the lawn?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Be high on stage

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

End of Shoelace posted:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lesson: you don't need "Groucho Glasses" to inspire chuckling, chortling, etc.!
The mustache is optional!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
KING TUT how'd you get so funky!

:xd:

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
He wrote a short fiction novel about a young woman who worked retail that got into a brief but serious relationship with an older man but then gave it up for a comfortable, relaxed love with a young idiot.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Steve is an old school guy and I appreciate that he likes to go for laughs, but if you want to make it in the game today you gotta be going for gasps, imho.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Yes like Louis CKs SNL monologue about how great child sex abuse must be for the abuser to continue sexually abusing the child. Good stuff.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bonaventure posted:

"Index funds, index funds, index funds. Invest early, invest in equities, have the bulk of your investment be in long-term index and mutual funds. Time in the market beats timing the market ... every time."

guillotine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
guillotine? good luck: they already shot the man in the head with an arrow and it only made him funnier. this, along with his "wild and crazy" reputation have earned him the sobriquet "The Rasputin of Comedy"