Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Neo Tokyo, the year G.C. (Galaxy Century) 0051, which marks a half century since first contact was made. Humans have obtained super light-speed navigation technology and formed a commonwealth of planets with aliens. A streak of bad luck is continuing for self-proclaimed freelance reportage writer Robby Yarge, who is around 30 years old. He fails at work, so his contract is cut. His girlfriend leaves him, he nearly dies in a traffic accident, and debt collectors come after him.

One day, a bag snatcher steals Robby's bag, and a young man helps him. Hatchi Kita, an 18-year-old part-time worker, catches the criminal and returns Robby's bag. Robby offers him his gratitude and a meal in return. The pair discover they are complete opposites and soon part ways.

However, Hatchi turns up again in Robby's life as a debt collector. Hatchi explains that it's his part-time job working for the loan shark Yang. A cat-and-mouse chase begins, and Yan's Finance president Yang takes his subordinates Aro and Gra along for the ride. Robby manages to elude Hatchi and escape to space while shaking off Yan's group. Robby thinks of escaping to Isekandar, a distant and legendary planet in the Milky Way that is said to bring happiness to those who go there. Though Robby thought he had escaped to space alone, he discovers Hatchi inside his spaceship. The two decide to travel across the galaxy together in search of Isekandar, a vacation destination that is said to bring fortune to all who visit.

Basically it's a show about two goofballs dodging debt collectors in space and heading to Space Disney. It's pretty good so far!

This is Robby. He's a flake. Kazuya Nakai's voice is what comes outta his gob.

This is Hatchi. He's a dork. When he opens his mouth, Keisuki Koumoto is who you hear.

This is JPS-19. He's Robby's robot who thinks Robby is a fuckin' idiot. He's not wrong. His audio chip is programmed to emulate Daisuke Sakaguchi.

This is Yang. He's a loan shark coming to collect debts. One such debt is the vocal chords of one Tomokazu Sugita.

This is Allo and Gras. They're two of Yang's goons. If you as me, they sound an awful lot like Subaru Kimura and Shinnosuke Tokudome.

It's on Mondays! Funimation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

(Probably)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The premise sounds like Galaxy Express 999 with maybe a dash of Yamato which is enough to have me check it out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1115330905470533632

Good smears.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a fun first episode and it kind of reminds me of Space Dandy.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Sindai posted:

That was a fun first episode and it kind of reminds me of Space Dandy.

I'm reserving my judgement but less good Space Dandy was my initial impression. We'll see how it goes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Less good Space Dandy isn't even necessarily a bad thing, since Space Dandy was an OPM season 1 caliber collaboration between some of the best talent in the biz.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I like its goofiness but I think it's a pretty drat ugly show and has some pretty half-assed animation. Ill give it a couple more episodes but I'm not sure about it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I just found this show and I thought I should point out that Robihachi is clearly based on Tokaidochu Hizakurige, a comedic novel/traveler's guide to the Tokaido Road. The characters' names are straight-up copied with westernized spellings, and the robot's name is just a slight alteration of the title ("Tokaidochu" becomes "Ginga Dochu" and they add a sentai-inspired "r" sound to the end). I'm sure there's some sort of pun in "Isekandar" besides the obvious allusion to Ise Grand Shrine, but I'm not quite sure how it would backtrace to kanji. In any case, this pretty clearly tells us what sort of story we're in for, and I'm there for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EclecticTastes posted:

I just found this show and I thought I should point out that Robihachi is clearly based on Tokaidochu Hizakurige, a comedic novel/traveler's guide to the Tokaido Road. The characters' names are straight-up copied with westernized spellings, and the robot's name is just a slight alteration of the title ("Tokaidochu" becomes "Ginga Dochu" and they add a sentai-inspired "r" sound to the end). I'm sure there's some sort of pun in "Isekandar" besides the obvious allusion to Ise Grand Shrine, but I'm not quite sure how it would backtrace to kanji. In any case, this pretty clearly tells us what sort of story we're in for, and I'm there for it.

The planet Iscandar from Yamato is the second half of the joke