Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've read a few issues and loved them and also I love the first movie, I own a couple short animated movies too and am just as giant fan of Hellboy as it's possible to be without really knowing much about the series otherwise. Now I just noticed they're all half off there for the next few days. It's finally time to educate myself!

The first four volumes seem like a solid pick, but should I get the omnibuses instead? Do the omnibuses have reprints of all the stuff from the matching volumes? Please help I am extremely dumb and do not know anything about the site/the series/comic books in general, please just look at the page and tell me what I should buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If you want to read all of Hellboy, you'll want the four omnibuses (Seed of Destruction, Strange Places, Wild Hunt, & Hellboy in Hell) as well as these two short stories omnibuses:

https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=short+stories+hellboy&subType=COLLECTIONS

The omnibuses contain all the issues that were part of the overarching storyline. You'll want to stick to them if you want the big picture. The Complete Short Stories consist of largely disconnected one-off side stories.

Here are some personal recommendations:

-The Wolves of St August
-Almost Colossus
-Into the Silent Sea
-The Corpse
-They That Go Down With the Ships

Though if you ask me, all if it is worth reading. There aren't a lot of weak links in terms of Hellboy stories. It's all good stuff. :)

e: No matter what you do, start with Seed of Destruction (the storyline, not the whole omnibus). It acts as a prologue to Hellboy's life and it's the best place to start, in my opinion.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 10, 2019

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

JordanKai posted:

If you want to read all of Hellboy, you'll want the four omnibuses (Seed of Destruction, Strange Places, Wild Hunt, & Hellboy in Hell) as well as these two short stories omnibuses:

https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=short+stories+hellboy&subType=COLLECTIONS

The omnibuses contain all the issues that were part of the overarching storyline. You'll want to stick to them if you want the big picture. The Complete Short Stories consist of largely disconnected one-off side stories.

Here are some personal recommendations:

-The Wolves of St August
-Almost Colossus
-Into the Silent Sea
-The Corpse
-They That Go Down With the Ships

Though if you ask me, all if it is worth reading. There aren't a lot of weak links in terms of Hellboy stories. It's all good stuff. :)

e: No matter what you do, start with Seed of Destruction (the storyline, not the whole omnibus). It acts as a prologue to Hellboy's life and it's the best place to start, in my opinion.

Excellent, thanks. Although 'they're all good!' was what I was half afraid of...

Any opinions on the Abe Sapien or BPRD comics?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

Excellent, thanks. Although 'they're all good!' was what I was half afraid of...

Any opinions on the Abe Sapien or BPRD comics?

Very good, but they lean a lot more toward the adventure comics side of things than Hellboy often does. It's like, the best Hellboy stories are among the best comics ever while the best BPRD comics are a step down from that.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Personally I prefer BPRD over Hellboy but if your goal is to prep for Friday, I doubt you'll cover that much ground in time. Abe spirals out of BPRD's Second Act though so I wouldn't bother unless you read the Frog War and want to keep going.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

^burtle posted:

Personally I prefer BPRD over Hellboy but if your goal is to prep for Friday, I doubt you'll cover that much ground in time. Abe spirals out of BPRD's Second Act though so I wouldn't bother unless you read the Frog War and want to keep going.

I loved Perlman in the role too much to not feel conflicted about the new one, I try to avoid spoilers but Hellboy himself looks kind of edgy and terrible?

Anyway I've bought all the comics JordanKai suggested and I think that'll hold me for awhile. (Also my data limit has suddenly become a factor, whoops.) Once I've gone through those I might sign up for Unlimited for a month and binge through the spinoffs. Thanks for the recommendations all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The whole series, op

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Yeah, I hate to be that guy, but all of Hellboy is pretty great.

My first Hellboy story was the trade with the Conqueror Worm, and it was so strange and I had absolutely zero context about the story within the greater Hellboy world, but it was a demon in a trench coat fighting nazi super scientists and a giant Cthulhu worm and what the gently caress? I was immediately hooked.

The Wolves Of St August is another great one to start with. But again, starting at the beginning is a really excellent idea. Mignola’s art is really something special.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Put me down for BPRD is better than Hellboy as well.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think BPRD is better than Hellboy but it was also coming out fairly consistently versus Hellboy that was just good for an occasional hot spurt.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The ongoing Abe Sapien series is even better, in my opinion. A+ stuff.

e: By 'ongoing' I mean the stories that weren't just one-shot issues, not a currently ongoing Abe series (because there isn't one :().

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 2, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

^burtle posted:

I think BPRD is better than Hellboy

Solid agreement there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll disagree and say that Hellboy was better than BPRD, largely because Hellboy is a bit more focused and has consistently excellent art while BPRD is generally very good in the art but has a couple (IMO) segments with art I really disliked, and the end of BPRD felt very rushed and a little too neat. Also, while the core BPRD story "narrows" in a logical and threat-appropriate fashion, I preferred Hellboy's "all the myths are real let's go punch them" approach. I also loved the end of Hellboy although for spoiler reasons I won't get into why.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Don’t mind me, just reminiscing about how good the Werejaguar stuff was.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I'll tag on to this with my question:

I've got volumes 1-4 tpbs. Do I track down the remaining volumes or just get the omnibus box set?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kaveman posted:

I'll tag on to this with my question:

I've got volumes 1-4 tpbs. Do I track down the remaining volumes or just get the omnibus box set?

From the looks of it the old TPBs aren't in print any more, so you'll end up paying a lot of money if you want to complete the set that way. I think buying the omnibus box set and accepting the fact that you're double-dipping on some of it is the way to go. Alternatively, you could buy the omnibuses individually and skip the first one, seeing as that one is comprised entirely of stories you already have.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They aren’t essential to the Hellboy mythos at all, but I love the crossovers Hellboy had with Beasts of Burden and Savage Dragon. Evan Dorkin and Erik Larsen really went the extra distance to capture the voice of Hellboy while staying true to their own title and the result is just some fantastic comic book storytelling. Pick them up if you get the chance.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been looking at the omnibus set, but does that contain some/all/none of the BPRD series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I've been looking at the omnibus set, but does that contain some/all/none of the BPRD series?

none iirc