Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lessail posted:

when do you think vgk will make the cup final again

the youth coach thing, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Craptacular! posted:

Actually living in the 702 and being around Knights fandom, I hear too much of this bullshit from locals. They’re mostly the ones who had no interest in hockey before LVGK. The guys who relocated from Chicago or something usually don’t.

Do you realize how long the Sharks have gone to playoff to disappear time and time and time again? It’s been happening almost without fail since I first became a Sharks fan in 2007. Winning a cup isn’t easy. Your expansion team is set up to keep making playoffs appearances by reloading again and again. It took San Jose and Anaheim years to get there. Get help.

i actually live in the vegas valley too and most of the people i know are still just happy to have a team

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

the youth coach thing, then.

i'm glad you agree with me that the team isn't currently good enough to win the cup

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Lessail posted:

i actually live in the vegas valley too and most of the people i know are still just happy to have a team

i'm glad you're still on this gatekeeping kick though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lessail posted:

i'm glad you agree with me that the team isn't currently good enough to win the cup

Tampa Bay as currently structured is an absolute god killer of a team and even with them winning the presidents trophy by a massive margin, their odds of winning the cup are still something like 10%, maybe less. Hockey is a sport of very drat few guarantees and even the most talented team needs a whole fuckin' lot of things to go just right to win the cup. You are never going to be guaranteed one.

get the gently caress over yourself, enjoy the ride, and quit acting like the team automatically owes you a cup you spoiled rear end brat.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Lessail posted:

I was born raised and have lived here my whole life and I'm one of those people. That doesn't mean I don't want them to be great as well. Those aren't mutually exclusive perspectives.

I just realize hockey is loving hard and getting to the Stanley Cup Finals the first year you even exist as a team and losing isn't "blowing it." It's extremely way overachieving.

Beyond that I don't possess a crystal ball that tells me that will be the Knights' only shot at a cup in the next decade or whatever it is you're crying in your VGK Jersey that's too new to even be faded about

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lessail posted:

i'm glad you're still on this gatekeeping kick though

Okay but it’s really justifiable right now because historically a “good Sharks playoff run” means not getting eliminated in the first two rounds. Out of all the playoffs appearances I’ve seen the Sharks make, they’ve downright embarrassed themselves a few times and made the SCF just once. Knights made it all the way to SCF on the very first try. To act like that’s some sort of thing teams can just make happen if they try really hard is like, Jesus, go and be a Pens fan or something.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Okay but it’s really justifiable right now because historically a “good Sharks playoff run” means not getting eliminated in the first two rounds. Out of all the playoffs appearances I’ve seen the Sharks make, they’ve downright embarrassed themselves a few times and made the SCF just once. Knights made it all the way to SCF on the very first try. To act like that’s some sort of thing teams can just make happen if they try really hard is like, Jesus, go and be a Pens fan or something.

i'm literally the one saying the team isn't good enough to get back to the scf

edit: here i'll lay it out: I believe you need a high talent floor and a high talent ceiling to have the best chance of winning the cup. I currently do not think that either are high enough for vgk to beat the sharks.

Lessail fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 11, 2019

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Lessail posted:

Yeah but you're saying it like it's proof the team is bad and poorly managed, which isn't true

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lessail posted:

The point is that the best teams can’t call getting into the SCF a reasonable expectation. The only recent team that’s approached doing that had a team that was not just good but also had Literally Sidney Crosby.

Playoffs are a crapshoot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It was less than Lessail's fixated decade time window ago that the eastern conference final was a #7 seed Flyers team against a #8 seed Habs team.

Craptacular! posted:

Playoffs are a crapshoot.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

It was less than Lessail's fixated decade time window ago that the eastern conference final was a #7 seed Flyers team against a #8 seed Habs team.

darude is the one that first mentioned a decade

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean, MAF was a loving wall god last season. He was incredible, and the Knights needed that to get as deep into the playoffs as they did. If he wasn't doing some of the best goaltending of his career they would not have gotten that far.

It takes that guy playing in his prime, and also Sidney Crosby, and also a decent to good rest-of-the-team before a coach can say "hmm, yes, I believe we have a good chance at a cup this year, just as we did last year."

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I mean, MAF was a loving wall god last season. He was incredible, and the Knights needed that to get as deep into the playoffs as they did. If he wasn't doing some of the best goaltending of his career they would not have gotten that far.

It takes that guy playing in his prime, and also Sidney Crosby, and also a decent to good rest-of-the-team before a coach can say "hmm, yes, I believe we have a good chance at a cup this year, just as we did last year."

ah this is where the disconnect is. I do not believe they had a good chance at the cup last year. they were good enough and lucky enough to get there, and then they weren't good enough to win it all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lessail posted:

ah this is where the disconnect is. I do not believe they had a good chance at the cup last year. they were good enough and lucky enough to get there, and then they weren't good enough to win it all.

And yet they very possibly could have beat the odds and won the cup despite your projection. Building a team for the SCF is nearly impossible. You build to go to playoffs again and again and again, and the Knights roster and talent pool have been gifted with the chance to do that right from the very beginning. It might take seven years, it might take nine years, I've been watching for twelve years and I'm still rooting for Thornton to get a cup. For all I know the Sharks will repeat their "win 3 in a row, lose 4 in a row" shitfest from years ago and Vegas goes all the way and takes the cup. If it happens, they're going to have to beat odds. There's no "good enough" team to avoid facing the odds entirely. That's not how odds work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Actually living in the 702 and being around Knights fandom, I hear too much of this bullshit from locals. They’re mostly the ones who had no interest in hockey before LVGK. The guys who relocated from Chicago or something usually don’t.

Do you realize how long the Sharks have gone to playoff to disappear time and time and time again? It’s been happening almost without fail since I first became a Sharks fan in 2007. Winning a cup isn’t easy. Your expansion team is set up to keep making playoffs appearances by reloading again and again. It took San Jose and Anaheim years to get there. Get help.

oh trust me it goes back longer than that :D :D :( :( :(