Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ending do you think is the best one now?
This poll is closed.
New Dark Age 26 47.27%
The Benevolent Dictator 19 34.55%
The Invisible Hand 10 18.18%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m going to get a large tattoo on my back commemorating Louis Pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

El_Elegante posted:

Peter Thiel, billionaire and philosophy major would like to have a word with you in the abbatoir where he harvests the blood of the young.
man if that's not somebody who's gotten by for his entire life by mostly just being an aggressive blowhard and never having to answer any specific questions then I'm Maggie Chow

the only thing separating peter thiel from an otherkin is a couple hundred million acts of wage theft

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJL_L5_4vso

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arrhythmia posted:

You're talking passed me. You're arguing that Tracer's ending is the bad ending because it involves incalculable human suffering; and you're not wrong. Billions of people will die because of Tracer, and quality of life will decrease dramatically for an unknowable period of time. I'm arguing that the only reason it is the bad ending is that you have read it as the bad ending. You put the lives of billions on one side of the scale, and all civil liberties on the other, and read the way it tipped. But this was your reading of the game. Deus Ex doesn't have it's thumb on the scale like, say, Myst does, where two endings involve you trapped in an abyss for eternity having freed a murderous tyrant, and the third has you save an innocent man. You can say Tracer is wrong, and that his ending is the bad ending, but it's not Deus Ex saying this.

lol are you seriously falling back to the "this is the original intent of the work, says this really tortured definition of what original intent means" horseshit that middle school english teachers use to bludgeon people over the head with board-approved interpretations of huck finn as your defense for calling someone names

keep it in comp 101 dude, irl when people take in culture with more thoughtfulness than glitz, the point of the exercise is causing someone to think about it and apply it elsewhere, not come to some One True Conclusion so you can huff the author's BO.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didnt like any of the endings, nor did any of my friends, and we tried to find a fourth ending for ages

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Coolguye posted:

lol are you seriously falling back to the "this is the original intent of the work, says this really tortured definition of what original intent means" horseshit that middle school english teachers use to bludgeon people over the head with board-approved interpretations of huck finn as your defense for calling someone names

keep it in comp 101 dude, irl when people take in culture with more thoughtfulness than glitz, the point of the exercise is causing someone to think about it and apply it elsewhere, not come to some One True Conclusion so you can huff the author's BO.
huh?

I have no idea what in Arrhythmia's post would have provoked this response

they were pretty specifically arguing that the game leaves the relative morality of each of the endings up to interpretation

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cubone posted:

I have no idea what in Arrhythmia's post would have provoked this response

they were pretty specifically arguing that the game leaves the relative morality of each of the endings up to interpretation

this junk about "well it's not the game saying this, and therefore you are a buffoon" as a justification for browbeating someone over the way they processed the game is dumb as hell

if you have a different way of seeing things that's fine, but when you try to put yourself up on a pedestal or put other people down over the crime of engaging their reasoning on something you're just an rear end in a top hat.

e: i think the big confusion is that i wasn't offering a critique on doo sex at all i was just saying it is majorly dumbtarded to base an insult on that ridiculous reasoning. the idea that i was 'talking past' anyone on the interpretation of endings was weird to begin with because i never lodged an interpretation on the matter.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 19, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

this junk about "well it's not the game saying this, and therefore you are a buffoon" as a justification for browbeating someone over the way they processed the game is dumb as hell

if you have a different way of seeing things that's fine, but when you try to put yourself up on a pedestal or put other people down over the crime of engaging their reasoning on something you're just an rear end in a top hat.

e: i think the big confusion is that i wasn't offering a critique on doo sex at all i was just saying it is majorly dumbtarded to base an insult on that ridiculous reasoning. the idea that i was 'talking past' anyone on the interpretation of endings was weird to begin with because i never lodged an interpretation on the matter.
it still kind of seems to me like you and Arrhthmia are arguing the same thing?

it looks like Big Dick Cheney asked an honest question about an interpretation, Nigmaetcetera gave an honest clarification that may have implied a little more intentionality on the developers' part than was certain, Arrhythmia took exception to that and gave a rebuttal that may have implied a little less respect for the interpretation itself than was fair, and you took exception to that

so, you're both arguing that one interpretation of the text doesn't invalidate another, right?
it's just, Arrhythmia thought that that was what Nigmaetcetera was doing, and you thought that it was what Arrhythmia was doing... right?

idk I'm not saying like kiss and make up, just seemed weird to me from the outside

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
illuminati is maintain the status quo
tong is disastrously roll the clock back on civilization

both those options at best just put off the eventual installation of a single person controlling the world behind the scenes and leave the world at risk of that person being evil

helios is take control yourself

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Jesus Christ Denton.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You would think I had told people that their mother sucks cocks in hell over the way they reacted to "buffoon".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Coolguye posted:

"well it's not the game saying this, and therefore you are a buffoon"

I'm specifically arguing the exact opposite. Saying that dues ex says tracer's ending is a canonically bad one makes you a buffoon, saying Tracer's ending is a bad ending is an entirely reasonable reading.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Bob Page fucks, right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Bob Page fucks, right?

Fucks Walter Simmons in my epic 3,000 page fanfiction

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If someone asks, "do you want to be an immortal and nigh all mighty god?" of course you say yes. Sure you might gently caress up and kill everyone but it's not like there's a scoreboard and you'll still probably do better than most gods from mythology.

Not that it matters, regular morality doesn't apply to omnipotent beings.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Deus Ex is absolutely the kind of power fantasy where the most selfish option is perfectly acceptable. I think I’ve pretty much always chosen Helios, but in pretty much any other game I go a more selfless route.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

“If you don't support Helios at 20 you have no heart, if not a supporter of Tracer Tong at 40 you have no brain”

he has no style, he has no grace, this tong has doomed the human race

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Personally I enjoy the ending where I repeatedly pepper spray Louis Pan and then get gunned down by Hong Kong police.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
is there any guarantee that Helios re-organizing society wouldn't also kill a lot of people?

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Big Dick Cheney posted:

is there any guarantee that Helios re-organizing society wouldn't also kill a lot of people?

No.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

YagotmeIdidit posted:

DX2 kinda sucks.

It gets +1 for letting you KILL THE YOUNGLINGS

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
When I merge with helios all you fuckers picking new dark ages are gonna regret it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, Deus Ex is absolutely the kind of power fantasy where the most selfish option is perfectly acceptable
if you see it as a power fantasy where you serve yourself you dont deserve to merge with helios :colbert:

you play the role of a 23 year old guy who on his second or third day of his first job manages to wrest control of global power from people who have fought for it their whole lives/held it for generations
take note millenials. this is what 23 year olds who applied themselves used to do all the time. and you just know jc had a firm handshake

Big Dick Cheney posted:

helios doesnt explicitly intend to immediately reorganize society but the guarantee is supposed to be the you part of the you/helios

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 19, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

gary oldmans diary posted:

if you see it as a power fantasy where you serve yourself you dont deserve to merge with helios :colbert:

you play the role of a 23 year old guy who on his second or third day of his first job manages to wrest control of global power from people who have fought for it their whole lives/held it for generations
take note millenials. this is what 23 year olds who applied themselves used to do all the time. and you just know jc had a firm handshake
helios doesnt explicitly intend to immediately reorganize society but the guarantee is supposed to be the you part of the you/helios

JC's handshake is augmented, that's hardly a fair comparison

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

gary oldmans diary posted:

.....23 year old....

A very old looking/sounding 23 year old.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Barudak posted:

I didnt like any of the endings, nor did any of my friends, and we tried to find a fourth ending for ages

the best part of mass effect 3 was the fourth ending they added after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the best part of mass effect 3 was the fourth ending they added after release

Yeah i unironically agree.