Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Building my own led organ to direct even more bees to OPs shed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Two years running I have had a war for the wood of my patio not with carpenter bees, but motherfucking bald-faced hornets.

Also last year briefly termites but the pest control service I have a contract with nipped that poo poo in the bud right away. They cannot seem to find the hornet nest, which is loving lovely.

(it's probably inside my porch beams or some poo poo)

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I cycled through a swarm of bee's today. They came out of nowhere. A big cloud of hundreds of them and not one stung me.
Because bees are COOL!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I cycled through a swarm of bee's today. They came out of nowhere. A big cloud of hundreds of them and not one stung me.
Because bees are COOL!

Are you sure you weren't just properly celebrating bicycle day?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

SeXReX posted:

Are you sure you weren't just properly celebrating bicycle day?

I was high at the time....
But not on LSD.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Big Beef City posted:

No lie 'copse' is one of my favorite words and I like using it.

Same here.

Oh, wait, no. Corpse. Corpse is the word I like to use.

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Honey dont

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
put a loving donk on it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"I'm a BEE!"
-- Jerry Seinfeld, upon seeing himself in character for the first time at the premier of The Bee Movie

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Big Beef City posted:

Don't kill bees.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
OP come back and post pics of the bee mass graves
repent your crimes against nature and maybe u will be spared

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I don't have any pictures of the dead bees. I usually just empty the traps into the trash bin in the barnyard each morning. I mean, i guess i could take photos of them, if you want

SniperWoreConverse posted:

OP come back and post pics of the bee mass graves
repent your crimes against nature and maybe u will be spared

i will spare them, if they repent

it has been rainy and cold the last couple days, so the bees have been mostly dormant, but I will try to get some pictures next week

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Shoulda cooked em, heard they make a tangy chili

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Those bees do more good in one day than you will do in your entire life, OP

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/04/1...Cgcm08vQhOS4pVo

Hope your story ends the same way

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

OP makes his living on a farm and people itt equating a trap he made to torturing animals with fire

Tbh it still sounds like people that want him to make a second 200+ square foot building while giving his old one to nature .. probably live in somebody else's basement

But yeah sure keep recommending somebody in a dirt farm in the Midwest spend a years median income on an unnecessary bee hive

Did anyone suggest he make a second huge building? Building something for them wouldn't be that expensive to build out of scrap timber I'd figured but fair point. If they can't be moved on and they can cause serious damage then kill away.

Just see a lot of people killing poo poo like bees, spiders, wasps, etc for very little reason and without making any attempt to solve the problem differently - which I think is fair to compare with killing other insects with a magnify glass :shrug:

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Because bees are COOL!

I think the swarms don't tend to sting - that's mostly a reaction to defend the hive or if you step on them :shrug: not a bee expert but I have a hive of wild honey bees right outside my door and they throw of swarms most years when it's the right time.

Got pics of the hive, it's in an old possum box:

https://imgur.com/fwTYEmD

https://imgur.com/6JKbz2H

e: Missed reading OPs last post cause I'm dumb - would definitely be cool to see some pics of them, weather permitting and when you get a chance!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 20, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i can totally see this guy constructing a building solely for carpenter wasps

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I love bees, killing things with fire is hosed up.

When are we gonna get to the fireworks factory burning swing set?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bees get drunk on smoke so maybe smoke some weed at these bees :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

marijuanamancer posted:

yeah i can totally see this guy constructing a building solely for carpenter wasps

BRB pulling permits for my beehive

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Close in your eaves and soffits so they can't get to your precious sweet, soft, old growth pine rafters?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

A thing from this thread came up in my thread so I thought I'd share:

Sapper posted:

No, no, what you gotta do is strike at their heart: their galleries. They'd infested an old shed of mine, tunneling vast galleries through the fascia. I could hear them in there...chewing....chewing...mocking me, content in their cozy little homes they'd made for themselves, even as they destroyed what they could not possibly build.

Well, gently caress that.

I made a series of flash powder charges and connected them, running quick fuse to each, tucking them deep into the holes with a piece of wire. Then sealed each gallery with putty, just the fuse sticking out. When all the charges were laid, and connected, with no hope of escape, I lit a cigarette, took a deep drag, intoned a gravelly "gently caress you, bees." and touched the lit end to the fuse.

It was over in an instant. A series of loud bangs running together into one gigantic blast that echoed through our rural neighborhood. The fascia was destroyed; barely recognizable bee body parts scattered the ground like the aftermath of an airliner explosion, surrounded by paint flakes and splinters of wood. One of the windowpanes, cracked by the concussion, fell from the sash and shattered. Through the ringing in my ears, I heard my wife mutter, "I married a loving lunatic" and the slam of the screen door as she went back in the house. Thin wisps of smoke drifted to the grass. I could see the crushed bodies of their children smashed into the ends of their tunnels; their hopes, their dreams, the future of their unique genetic line smashed into nothing more than a whitish goo that ants quickly swarmed to consume. I had taken not only their lives but their very purpose for existence; all their work, their gathering, their digging had come to naught, for they had failed in their sole genetic imperative. Victory was mine, and absolute.

Crazy? Sure. Overkill? Definitely. But I never saw another goddamned carpenter bee for as long as we lived there.

https://soundcloud.com/user-641725526/fuckyoubees2

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
smdh just replaced the carpenter bees with carpenter ants

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if the bees can kill a lion they can gently caress u up bad op

Oh yeah? Can a lion do this?

*sweet capoeira moves*

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I experimented with beekeeping once, and was able to harvest a decent amount of honey one year, but then I just didn't have the time or expertise to keep up with it, so I gave them to a neighbor who actually knew how to keep bees.

Beekeepers use smoke when working with the hives because the smoke makes the bees think that the colony is on fire, so they go down into the hive to eat honey, in preparation for evacuating the colony and building a new one. This allows the beekeeper to do things like moving the combs and trays around, check for invading creatures such as mice or unwanted bugs in the hive, check up on what the queen is doing, and so on.

Don't know if other bees respond the same way.

edit: you could say the smoke makes them "drunk" but it's also just blocking their ability to smell pheromones that trigger a defensive response

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 21, 2019

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I experimented with beekeeping once, and was able to harvest a decent amount of honey one year, but then I just didn't have the time or expertise to keep up with it, so I gave them to a neighbor who actually knew how to keep bees.

Beekeepers use smoke when working with the hives because the smoke makes the bees think that the colony is on fire, so they go down into the hive to eat honey, in preparation for evacuating the colony and building a new one. This allows the beekeeper to do things like moving the combs and trays around, check for invading creatures such as mice or unwanted bugs in the hive, check up on what the queen is doing, and so on.

Don't know if other bees respond the same way.

edit: you could say the smoke makes them "drunk" but it's also just blocking their ability to smell pheromones that trigger a defensive response

Interesting, I had heard a bit about that - never kept bees myself, love the idea of it but laws here would make it difficult if even one neighbour complained and I'm tired and effort and so on.

A friend of my parents when I was a kid had a number of hives and sold his honey... honey straight out of the hive and fresh honeycomb are amazing.

Not sure about how smoke would effect carpenter bees.. might work though. Also a few things I read suggested loud noise might drive them off - maybe set a up a speaker near their nests? Apparently they don't like the vibrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rho50JrK1I0

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
They don't like to chew through painted wood, so just fill the existing holes and paint the wood and no more bees.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Happy Easter.

... To Bee.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But can you trust the MASONIC BEE :mason:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Burt Sexual posted:

You seem poorly informed.

Can’t wait for the bees to redirect an asteroid and destroy his small city.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I will take this opportunity to explain a bit further why this particular group of bees is such a problem. Two years ago my brother and I determined that the workshop roof was in terrible condition, the rafters were the original ones, and as leaks had formed in the metal roofing, the wood was rotting. The roof was in danger of collapse. As a note, this building is about 70 feet long by 30 feet wide, with room to park cars and tractors. We spent an enormous amount of time and effort, nearly a whole year, replacing the entire roof ourselves, and it wasn't cheap.

Carpenter bees are not going to destroy your shed, they aren't termites. They bore some holes and then stop. The next year they re-use the same holes. It's like drilling holes through a joist for electrical or plumbing. So unless you rebuilt your shed with inadequate structure support and did stupid poo poo like space the rafters way too far apart to save money, some bee holes don't matter.

Your old shed rotted and fell down because it was poorly maintained. The bees had nothing to do with it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Klyith posted:

Carpenter bees are not going to destroy your shed, they aren't termites. They bore some holes and then stop. The next year they re-use the same holes. It's like drilling holes through a joist for electrical or plumbing. So unless you rebuilt your shed with inadequate structure support and did stupid poo poo like space the rafters way too far apart to save money, some bee holes don't matter.

Your old shed rotted and fell down because it was poorly maintained. The bees had nothing to do with it.

To the OP, this sounds like something carpenter bees would say :smugbird:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

He didn't seem to suggest that they did?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gobblecoque posted:

He didn't seem to suggest that they did?

His entire excuse for killing thousands of bees is that they're eating his shed and that will harm it. otherwise he acknowledges that they're harmless.

The OP, as rain seeps through his shed roof that he's done zero work to maintain for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: whoops