Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

They've got a bunch of those outside the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, whatever the artist's name is. Some lady I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm a big fan of some lady's earlier work but in her later years you can tell she was just phoning it in

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

ReidRansom posted:

They've got a bunch of those outside the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, whatever the artist's name is. Some lady I think?

Louise Bourgeois. They’re in Bilbao and Tokyo too.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Super Waffle posted:

They were all originally painted white to keep the heat down, these were all built pre-air conditioning days. There are no restrictions on paint colors for the protected buildings these days, but they mostly fall into one of two categories: 1) keep everything as original as possible, and 2) use the pastel paint scheme developed by Lenny Horrowitz in the 80's:

Help, I can't stop staring at these colours and feeling nostalgia for something I discovered five minutes ago

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Julius CSAR posted:

I think my hometown of Kansas City has some pretty neat (and also pretty weird/wacky/tacky) architecture.

This is the facade on the parking garage for the main branch of the Kansas City Public Library.

That's pretty drat cool.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Honestly I do think the gta series does a pretty good job in general of doing a pastiche of whatever city it is they're emulating.

Yeah, I did a work trip to SoCal, then played GTA V a few weeks later and was like "I recognize a lot of this stuff!"

Also :wtf:?:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Welcome to PYF

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Tree Bucket posted:

Help, I can't stop staring at these colours and feeling nostalgia for something I discovered five minutes ago

Sounds like you need to see a hauntologist.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heath posted:

Welcome to PYF

Thanks. I don't venture out of Automotive Insanity often. Hadn't noticed that down there before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw the thread title and though "That's the University of Toronto Referance library isn't it?" and yep. It's like someone tried to make a building from 2000AD but didn't have an eagle for reference material so they choose a turkey.

Some other interesting to say the least, Toronto buildings

Ontario College of Art and Design

I used to work right down the street from it. It was like some crazy techno spider built by a guy into ska.

Royal Ontario Museum

The old building caught a case of crystalitus, luckily they managed to get it under control. Though not before it disfigured the building permanently.
I can accept the funky shape, but inside you end up with these odd shaped rooms and walkways, empty space in the odd angles. Though the exhibits in there are fantastic. The dinosaur fossils on display are done in the best way, where you can walk around them rather then being mounted on the wall like when I was a kid.

The Hudson's Bay Company at Bloor and Yonge

just a big rear end slab of concrete in the middle of the city. Canadian Brutalism at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Royal Ontario Museum

The old building caught a case of crystalitus, luckily they managed to get it under control. Though not before it disfigured the building permanently.
I can accept the funky shape, but inside you end up with these odd shaped rooms and walkways, empty space in the odd angles. Though the exhibits in there are fantastic. The dinosaur fossils on display are done in the best way, where you can walk around them rather then being mounted on the wall like when I was a kid.

I think your game is clipping the building models together a bit.