Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will use Growth option 3, bringing me up to 5 Energy total and taking the Presence from my Card Plays track. Will decide where to place it after a bit of coordination with the others.

I will also play all three of my remaining powers this turn, for a total cost of 4 Energy, which also leaves me with enough elements to use Thundering Destruction at its first tier. Swiftness of Lightning will make that fast to blow up the town on my sacred site before the ravaging.

Now, I have a few things to consider/discuss.

First, Lightning's Boon; I can use this on someone else to let them use up to two Slow powers, cards or innate, as Fast powers instead.

Second, Bendigeidfran, I would greatly appreciate it if you targeted me with your Boon of Vigor; I'm using three cards this turn, so I'd get the greatest gain out of everyone here, plus my Energy gain is kind of poo poo so the aid would let me focus more on blowing poo poo up going forward.

Third, I need to consider where to use my other two powers and place my presence; Harbingers of the Lightning will let me move Dahan around and maybe cause some Fear, while Raging Storm can do one damage to each Invader in a province. These are both naturally Slow but can be made Fast if we'd prefer to, say, shuffle Dahan around or kill some Explorers before they start ravaging and building and whatnot. I'm inclined to kill a mountain explorer to prevent a build this turn, but other people might see a better use.

So, yeah. If anyone wants to cooperate on those lower things, just let me know. First two paragraphs are set; I can't let my sacred site get ravaged this early.

Edit: Possible plan, though people can propose alterations or other courses of action:

I or CirclMastr place presence in mountain 7 of CirclMastr's land and use Lightning's Boon on them, and as part of their turn one of the things they cast is Mantle of Dread on whoever put presence in the mountain as a Fast action through the aforementioned boon, so I can use that to push the town and explorer there elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Retro Futurist puts the Presence they place this turn in sand 5 like discussed last turn to defend it, and I'll use Harbingers of the Lightning (Fast) to move a Dahan there; they'll be defended, then can counterattack and destroy the town, for two more Fear from the destruction and the power together.

None of this is set yet, of course. Just a proposal/example.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If you make Mantle of Dread fast, I would rather push the town from C6 onto, say, C3. That would let the Dahan kill the explorer on C6, keep the Dahan alive, and stop C6 from being Blighted.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Will be using Boon on Lightning, and taking the left Growth option for a reclaim, 1 energy, and a new power. Do I have to reclaim before I see my 4 draw options?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CirclMastr posted:

If you make Mantle of Dread fast, I would rather push the town from C6 onto, say, C3. That would let the Dahan kill the explorer on C6, keep the Dahan alive, and stop C6 from being Blighted.

Fair; if I used Lightning's Boon on you, you would still decide what powers to use it with and stuff. And yeah, pushing the town from C6 seems good; I was only looking at ways I could use it since I need to figure out where to place my presence, but you doing that would probably be a better idea.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bendigeidfran posted:

Will be using Boon on Lightning, and taking the left Growth option for a reclaim, 1 energy, and a new power. Do I have to reclaim before I see my 4 draw options?

Are you asking if you're allowed to back out and pick a different growth option? Because otherwise there's no decision to be made with reclaiming, you get back your whole discard in one go.

If that was your question, the answer is no. But at least you've got a good draw at any rate:

(a draw so good that it might merit some discussion about where people are putting presence, hint hint)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, Encompassing Ward is pretty much perfect for River Surges In Sunlight; exactly the elements it wants for its innate power, and its second option for placing presence lets it cover a ton of ground to protect, and of course it can use it on someone else if that'd be preferable. And it can spam it once it uncovers the Reclaim One space on its Card Plays track.

Edit: Though, Bendigeidfran, why are you reclaiming rather than using your third Growth option? Still gets a new card, and it lets you place presence; you have plenty of energy and two card plays, you don't need to reclaim yet.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 28, 2019

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll take growth option 2 and put my presence from the lower track onto C6.

For powers I'll play Concealing Shadows, paying 1 energy to target C2. I'll play Mantle of Dread, and assuming Roland Jones makes it Fast, I'll push the town in C6 to C3. I'll also use my innate Darkness Swallows the Unwary, gathering the explorer on C1 to C2.

If I understand everything correctly, that will kill all the invaders on C2 and the explorer on C6, and only damage the Dahan on C6.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately Retro Futurist has had to tap out. I'll see if I can find anyone to sub in, if no one can be found I'll take over Vital Strength myself.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Will be taking Encompassing Ward, of course.

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Though, Bendigeidfran, why are you reclaiming rather than using your third Growth option? Still gets a new card, and it lets you place presence; you have plenty of energy and two card plays, you don't need to reclaim yet.

Good point, I'd misread some text about Rivers being able to Reclaim One and thought that was referring to the growth option instead of the bit on the tracks. The effective hit to presence might hurt later, but you live with your mistakes.

Actions:
I Flash Flood the Explorer on 5 to death; can't see a great usage of Ward right now but if y'all think of one tell me.

I've cast Boon on Lightning, so with the elements I Massive Flooding the town to be built on 1 to 5, I suppose setting up for Ward defense later.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 30, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bendigeidfran posted:

Good point, I'd misread some text about Rivers being able to Reclaim One and thought that was referring to the growth option instead of the bit on the tracks. The effective hit to presence might hurt later, but you live with your mistakes.

It's an unorthodox move but it actually winds up making some degree of sense for River. You can reach the 3 card plays spot very quickly but normally you won't have enough cards to use it barring shenanigans. There is actually some upside in reclaiming early since it means you will have 3 cards in hand next turn, putting you briefly ahead of the curve.

In the interest of keeping the game moving I'm just going to start running Vital Strength of the Earth on autopilot, so update incoming. It's still open if anyone wants to jump in later though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Turn 2 Spirit Phase

Vital Strength of the Earth takes Growth 2 and draws a minor power:

This is a really strong draw and there are multiple good options. I opt for Drift Down Into Slumber because it addresses an immediate need, conserves energy, and adds some much needed range.

Vital Strength places 1 presence from the card plays track in B5, defending it, and plays Drift Down Into Slumber and Draw of the Fruitful Earth.

Turn 2 Fast Powers

Boon of Vigor gives +3 energy to Lightning's Swift Strike.
Thundering Destruction kills a town in D7 (+1 fear.)
Lightning's Boon speeds up 2 of Shadows Flicker Like Flame's slow powers.
Harbingers of the Lightning pushes a Dahan from B7 to B5 (+1 fear.)
Mantle of Dread (sped up via Lightning's Boon) on Shadows Flicker Like Flame pushes a town from C6 to C1 (+2 fear.)
Concealing Dread protects the Dahan on C2 (+1 fear.)
Flash Floods deals 1 damage and kills the explorer in A6.
Drift Down Into Slumber defends B3.

Unresolved Actions

I still need to know where Roland Jones wants to put Lightning's presence.

I haven't flipped any invader actions yet, so none of the above actions are set in stone - if you would like to change the plan you may still do so at this point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, sorry. I'll put my presence in B7, and also, for Raging Storm, kill the explorer in D8 before it builds thanks to Swiftness of Lightning. (Unless people can think of a better spot to target; D5 could work too but I was thinking of blasting the town they build there next turn and letting the Dahan finish the explorer off, where clearing D5 now and hitting D8 next turn would leave its explorer alive.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 2, 2019

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sounds like you have a plan, I say go for D8.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Turn 2 fast actions continued

Raging Storm deals 1 damage and kills the explorer in D8.

Turn 2 invader phase

Invaders ravage in Sands:

Explorer deals 1 damage in A7. Dahan counterattack for 4 damage and kill it.
Town + Explorer deal 3 damage in B3, reduced to 0 by defense. Dahan counterattack for 4 damage and kill both (+1 fear.)
Town + Explorer deal 3 damage in B5, reduced to 0 by defense. Dahan counterattack for 2 damage and kill the town (+1 fear.)
City + Town + 2 explorers deal 7 damage in C2, blighting the land but doing no damage to Dahan (Concealing Shadows.) Dahan counterattack for 8 damage and wipe them out (+3 fear and draw a fear card.)
Explorer deals 1 damage in C6. Dahan counterattack for 2 damage and kill it.
Town + Explorer deal 3 damage in D4, blighting the land.
Explorer deals 1 damage in D7. Dahan counterattack for 4 damage and kill it.

Invaders build in Mountains:

Add a town in A1, B2, B7, and D5.
Add a city in C7.

Invaders flip a card to explore: Jungle.

Turn 2 slow phase

Massive Flooding pushes a town from A1 to A5.
Vital Strength uses Draw of the Fruitful Earth. I'm tentatively going to say I'm yanking the explorer from B4 and 2 Dahan into B7 to set up a counterattack, but if anyone has a better plan I'm going to leave this one open (note that it is not reflected on the map

And that's it for turn 2. Keeping the invaders to 2 blight on the first ravage is a pretty good performance, especially considering that one of those was Shadows Flicker's sacrifice play to wipe out the biggest build-up. There are a maximum of 10 turns left, so 2 blight/turn will last you until the turn before the time limit. You can very reasonably win well before that, though.

Two things to take note of on the invader board: first, hitting 16 fear means that the first fear card is in play and will be revealed and take effect right before the invaders act next turn. The effects of fear cards are random and scale up as you progress further into the fear deck; at this stage a lot of fear cards will do something on the level of moving or removing explorers, or maybe very situationally pushing towns.

Second, the jungle card is the last card before we start drawing stage II invader cards. For the introductory scenario these are mostly a repeat of the stage I cards, with one exception: there's an 80% chance that one of the stage II cards will be "coastal", targeting every coastal land regardless of terrain. That's 3 lands per board instead of 2, which is a bit of a bump up in difficulty, but it's only for one card that may not even show up.

Turn 3 spirit phase

Bendigeidfran

CirclMastr

Roland Jones

I'm going to go out on a crazy limb and assume that you're reclaiming rather than trying to play with 0 cards.

Plus a minor power draw:

Vital Strength of the Earth

Vital Strength can easily shut down either of the big ravages with Year of Perfect Stillness. With help on C7, Vital Strength could even shut down both: the town+city+explorer combo deals 6 damage, which is just a little too much for Defend 4 on Guard the Healing Land, but removing even a single explorer would bring them down to a safe 1 damage threshold.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Is there supposed to still be an Explorer on C6?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Good catch! No there is not.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Okay, I'm trying to come up with a plan to save C7 and if Roland Jones can make another card fast for me this turn, I can do it. Otherwise, I'll have to focus on C1 to mitigate damage there next turn and just let C7 get blighted.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CirclMastr posted:

Okay, I'm trying to come up with a plan to save C7 and if Roland Jones can make another card fast for me this turn, I can do it. Otherwise, I'll have to focus on C1 to mitigate damage there next turn and just let C7 get blighted.

If Vital Strength of the Earth drops its defend 4 on C7, then even getting rid of a single explorer would fix it, so your Darkness Swallows the Unwary innate could make do in a pinch. Arguably that's not really optimal compared to clearing out a jungle before it can build, though.

Dark and Tangled Woods would also stack to take care of it. I don't know if you have other plans for it.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Alright, taking the two presence growth track, into Wetland 6 on the bottom-left and that presence mosh pit on 8. Add one to each of energy and card plays so I can play out my whole hand if need be.

In terms of sequencing, would River's Bounty-ing some Dahan onto 6 be a good idea? With Ward, Wash Away, and level 2 Flooding accessible I've got a lot of options to nuke and move things where they need to go for y'all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Note that the next space on your card plays track is also a 2; you need to take both presence from the bottom track to reach 3 plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Straight White Shark posted:

Roland Jones

I'm going to go out on a crazy limb and assume that you're reclaiming rather than trying to play with 0 cards.

You would be correct.

On that topic, I'll take Savage Mawbeasts of those powers (zero cost and fire element makes it good fuel for my innate, even if the effect isn't too amazing). End-of -semester stuff has been surprisingly overwhelming, so I haven't been as good at keeping up on this stuff recently, sorry.