Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

you never know what might not pan out. that's why you take the insurance of paying bobby hart before the draft to keep him around for the rest of his career

This was such a stupid contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
It's also why no one actually believes you wanted a tackle over Devin Bush

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
No, it was a pretty open secret they wanted White or Bush. They didn't expect them to be there at 11. If White/Bush were there and Williams was also there, they easily go White/Bush.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hart would be like the 20th best backup and williams is really good, passionate, and smart. i'm glad they didn't draft some artie burns poo poo just because their guy was taken. Especially when they already did that with john ross

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't know if other teams have done something similar, but the Colts put out this 5-part video series going behind the scenes of their whole draft process, and it's really interesting. This is Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqhe57-SyQ

The last part that just came out is way longer and actually takes place in the war room during the draft.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Janiel Dones.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cavauro posted:

hart would be like the 20th best backup and williams is really good, passionate, and smart. i'm glad they didn't draft some artie burns poo poo just because their guy was taken. Especially when they already did that with john ross
Never forget Troy Blackburn's Bobby Hart signing freakout:

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.”

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Giants are in that awkward position where even if their pick does better than expected, they still drafted too high. But then again Eli won them 2 Super Bowls out of nowhere at the expense of Tom Brady so in conclusion: Giants can find themselves out in the woods for 6 years and still average out to being better than 70% of the league for the next decade and a half.

How did Eli and his dumb face do it? I feel his is the story of humanity itself: against all odds a hosed up looking bunch of things managed to beat the genetically superior opponents and take over. In a way we are all Eli Manning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

sweet thursday posted:

In a way we are all Eli Manning

take this back

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

indigi posted:

take this back

This is it. This is the source of our creation I think. In the course of all history, we are the universe's Eli Manning

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

That initial punch to your gut that you feel? That's just the first rush of the enormity of the thing. There's that little part of you that knows it. It's loving always known it. And the scary part is, you know it too

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Unstoppable. Eli Manning is. So is his citizens eco watch.

Why the gently caress do I still remember that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

LiquidFriend posted:

Unstoppable. Eli Manning is. So is his citizens eco watch.

Why the gently caress do I still remember that?

oooh.... written in the stars.... a million miles away

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's not that you still remember it.
You've never forgotten it, friend

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sweet thursday posted:

In a way we are all Eli Manning

Mods?!?!!?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Eli owns and will get in the Hall of Fame and I was use the ensuing Patriot tears of anguish as lubricant while I touch my man areas Hail Satan

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I am like Eli Manning in that I'm a rich white guy born into a football dynasty, playing in one of the largest NFL markets after my daddy made a huge stink over my draft order, and sitting behind a HoF quarterback to learn the ropes until I was ready.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

18-1

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

TB12

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Yin
Yang

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

ShakeZula posted:

I don't know if other teams have done something similar, but the Colts put out this 5-part video series going behind the scenes of their whole draft process, and it's really interesting. This is Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqhe57-SyQ

The last part that just came out is way longer and actually takes place in the war room during the draft.

Hearing Irsay on this was pretty funny, comes across as a drunk uncle slurring his speech into the phone to the new draft picks. He's looking a little rough.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

No Irish Need Imply posted:

It's a good thing they managed to sign Hart, considering he and Willie Anderson are the only humans who have ever played right tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.”

good to hear theres going to be football in cincinnati this season.