Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

quote:

This is what we know:

First, the strange beast slaughtered ten thousand innocent citizens in its rampage across the capitol.

Second, the air force’s weapons at the time were too weak to pierce its feathery, slimy hide.

Third, when it achieved escape velocity it cast off a swarm of vicious parasites at ground zero that are still being hunted to this day.

This is what we thought was true. This is what we’ve been told for a generation.

What we are about to show you will demonstrate, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is all horribly wrong, and that the truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Roll the footage, please.

What is After Kaiju?
After Kaiju is a rules-light cinematic storytelling game of massive monsters, political machinations, and low-budget documentary filmmakers shedding light in the darkness, designed by yours truly. It helps you tell the story of a kaiju attack on human civilisation, discover how these events were distorted by social, economic and political forces, and explore the consequences of revealing these truths to society. Well, that's the plan - this is a playtest, after all.

The game takes a broad view and we collectively play the documentary crew and the public and institutions around them. It explores how the out-of-this-world disaster of a kaiju attack – and the institutional response – shattered and distorted the physical and social geography of the world. The bulk of the game takes place a generation after the attack, after decades of doubt, speculation, and even misinformation, and focuses on the beliefs and actions of the old, the young, and those in between as they make their way through a post-kaiju world.

How do you play it?
After Kaiju is a turn-based game for 3-5 players. The game is split into three parts:
  1. Shoot, where we build up both a map of the kaiju’s path of destruction and the common history of the attack and aftermath.
  2. Edit, where we tell the story of the kaiju’s attack in chronological order while also revealing evidence that contradicts public knowledge – or introducing deceptions to further an agenda.
  3. Show, where we explore how different people and institutions respond to the documentary in both the short and long terms, from protests and political bills to espionage and assassination.
During the Shoot, we take turns moving the film crew to a new location, then Framing the Shot (establishing what’s in view), Asking the Question (getting a quote or vox pop about an aspect or issue with the kaiju attack), and adding a feature to the kaiju. We start out with a mostly-blank map and slowly fill it in, and play until we have a decent stack of footage to work with.

During the Edit, we run through the shots in order, taking turns to narrate and, if we choose, to Contradict the narrative (either honestly, with evidence, or fraudulently, through Deception). We start out with just the footage we recorded and play until the end, turning it into a coherent story of the kaiju’s attack and society’s (and the government’s and corporations’) response.

During the Show, we take turns to zoom in on different revelations and see how a segment of society responded in the short term, starting with the broadest, shallowest reactions. We do the similarly with different institutions. However, the more Deceptions we introduced, the more likely they’ll be revealed – not only exposing the other lies, but casting doubt on the truth. We then repeat these actions to explore different reactions over the long term. We start out with the map we made during the Shoot and add the reactions in new layers over the top, and continue until each truth has made its mark in the short and long term.

All players will receive a full run-through of the WIP rules. As this is a WIP, the rules may change in minor ways during the game (but major problems have already been ironed out by previous testing). We’ll be using miro (with a shared account) for making the map.

What expectations should I have?
After Kaiju is part map-game, part timeline-game – it’s a little bit like The Quiet Year, a little bit like Microscope, and a little bit like Mars Colony. The players don’t necessarily play characters in themselves, but put together a map and timeline where shared characters take action.

Here are some more specific points:
  1. Spotlight – on your turn your input is, for the most part, uncontradictable.
  2. GMlessness – everyone has power and responsibility, though the oracle and minimalist style help.
  3. Brevity – the game involves around a dozen turns per part, with each turn being a few short posts. It’ll probably go past faster than you think.

How do I sign up?
Join this discord server (you're welcome to join even if you don't play, it's a server for rules-light/story-games in general). There’ll be a channel for each game we start, and it’s where I’ll provide a link to the full rules summary and invite info for the platform we’ll use to play the game.

Post here with some music and/or pictures that get across the sort of mood you’re after.

After a couple of days we'll start setup. If there are more than 3-5 people (including me) then we'll split into groups of 3-5 as best we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is it basically like microscope with a very specific focus?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rtr3BClsGI

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Azhais posted:

So is it basically like microscope with a very specific focus?
Kind of - more in inspiration than actual mechanics. If you've played Microscope (or The Quiet Year etc.) before, the experience will definitely help you play this game.

The part that's most like Microscope is the Shoot, where you take turns adding setting details and public opinion/popular history in an achronological way. However, anything introduced in the Shoot is open to contradiction later on in the game, unlike the way everything is unquestionably true in Microscope. That, and unlike Microscope, where each turn is a 1-person job, every part of After Kaiju splits turns in two, with one player doing something (e.g. narrating the kaiju's actions, describing how people react to the documentary) and another player responding somehow (e.g. narrating humanity's actions, describing how institutions react to the documentary).

Also, true, kaiju attacks are a pretty specific focus - but the game can be about any big event, and people telling the story of that event and revealing some hidden truths at the same time. It could be played as a Middle Ages account of a sinister, Red Death-esque plague; a report on an attempted rebellion in a space colony; a post-mortem of an executed serial killer; or something completely different.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
This looks interesting. I really like the idea of "history is made by the telling of facts to others, rather than the facts themselves" that flows through the game rules.

(For my part, I wouldn't mind the "Kaiju attack" being something more mundane yet still totally incomprehensible to the layman--a massive, Operation Focus style air raid, for example.)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Current players:
  • UnCO3
  • Waffleman
  • Davin Valkri
  • BlurryMystr
I’m giving this about 24 more hours, and will probably run a possible second game live over discord (text, not voice).

Davin Valkri posted:

This looks interesting. I really like the idea of "history is made by the telling of facts to others, rather than the facts themselves" that flows through the game rules.

(For my part, I wouldn't mind the "Kaiju attack" being something more mundane yet still totally incomprehensible to the layman--a massive, Operation Focus style air raid, for example.)
Yeah, hopefully the mechanics will help support the idea that history is not a series of facts, but a story that’s deliberately told and retold. As for the story, I’ve had the Kaiju idea on my mind for quite a while, so this is just a way to get it out of my head before probably renaming all the terms to more generic ones.

That said, the relationship between air raids and regular people is the focus of another minimalist game I have in the works, but it’s still a WIP.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Interest post.

Spectral Voice - Visions of Psychic Dismemberment

I imagine people are trying in the post-kaiju world, but it's probably grim.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 3, 2019

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I said this in the Discord but I'll say it here, too - this sounds very much like my jam so I am really excited to see how it works.

As for mood, my mind immediately jumped to concept art from Pacific Rim, showing how cities just kept on growing over the bones of fallen kaiju. Life keeps on going - you can put a community through absolute hell but at the end of the day they still need to do poo poo like build homes and hang laundry.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm interested

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Currently we have enough for 2 4-player games (with me in both). I'm going to semi-arbitrarily split people into these groups:

Group A
  • UnCO3
  • Waffleman
  • Davin Valkri
  • Blurrymystr
Group B
  • UnCO3
  • Anomalous Amalgam
  • sheep-dodger
  • Tyrannosaurus
Let me know if there are any issues with this! Rules text will go out some time later today or early tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Got the rules and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. I really like the "Framing the Shot" mechanic - introducing elements of the fiction by mentally composing a shot that you'd want to get for the documentary is a really cool idea.