Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait. Sounds like it'll be far more than it needs to be, which is a constant thing in this hack.

It'll probably also be almost entirely composed of poorly-implemented attempts to change genre that're utterly broken due to the engine not supporting them, because that's also a constant thing in this hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Before you watch, ask yourself this question: What does 'EP' really mean?

Rockman 7 EP #13: The Final Destined Showdown!
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, NGDBSS, and Shinryu)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I yelled when I saw the video runtime.

Also Bass definitely had those moves in the secret fighting game you can play within base 7. Am I the only one who remembers that?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I yelled when I saw the video runtime.

Also Bass definitely had those moves in the secret fighting game you can play within base 7. Am I the only one who remembers that?

I just let out one big heavy sigh when I looked at the 99-up mega man head.

And I remember the fighting game, mostly just because it let you skip all the wily fortress bullshit and get straight into the wily capsule bullshit.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
(facepalm) Mega Man is not supposed to be a bullet hell game, why did that idiot decide to shoehorn bullet hell into it?!

At least it's over, and everyone who's followed along knows to never play anything by this hacker.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Mega Man. I like bullet hells. Obviously, if the two things I like are the same thing, I'll like them even more! Then everyone else will like them too!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I think I get what Puresabe was trying to accomplish. There's a place for games that focus on spectacle over gameplay, and Puresabe is definitely all about that spectacle. The gameplay is a muddy, chaotic mess, but look how much stuff is going on! You get tons of consumables and overpowered weapons because the game's not really meant to be hard. You're just really meant to facetank through everything while oohing and ahhing at the pretty lights and sheer ridiculousness of it all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

oh

I feel like Minus Infinity was probably the strongest one he did still, this was...impressive? But not to play.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Honestly finding out the meaning of EP and seeing everything it tracked yeah I am kinda into this hack. Like it very clearly was never intending to be fair and basically is one big demonstration of the absurd things that can be done with the game while also making a joke about the power of money. Like that Bass fight is hilarious because it is just full on going "yeah this is impossible but you can just outspend the impossible." Just basically it all feels like a proof of concept hack combined with a gag about deflating the absurd difficulty through just out healing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, I think I get what Puresabe was trying to accomplish. There's a place for games that focus on spectacle over gameplay, and Puresabe is definitely all about that spectacle. The gameplay is a muddy, chaotic mess, but look how much stuff is going on! You get tons of consumables and overpowered weapons because the game's not really meant to be hard. You're just really meant to facetank through everything while oohing and ahhing at the pretty lights and sheer ridiculousness of it all.

That's my take on this too. It's a game that's specifically meant to be about flash over substance. Would that make it fun to play? I don't think so. I don't think I'd enjoy doing it. I even think it actually fails at this very point in this fortress because it goes so hard into the spectacle that it becomes impossible to follow, god knows I could barely understand the video when Heavy Sigh was fighting a million enemies alongside another robot and the console couldn't keep up so everything flickered.

But what it tries to do is very clear, and I can respect having a clear vision of what you want, regardless of how much I can agree with it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fun fact: If you get through using a minimum of E-Tanks and stuff, and basically do things well, instead of "Economic Power", Mega Man says what got him through was "Expert Player".

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
the most impressive part of this whole thing is that video posted in the other thread of someone doing a no damage run of the entire game, because this romhack is a disaster.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 3, 2021

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
"Excessive Projectiles"

This entire hack has seemed like it would have served better as a demo of what the game can do instead of being an actual game. The stuff the romhacker pulled off is honestly impressive as heck, but then they made the Sonic 2006 mistake and stuffed every single gimmick and trick into as many levels as possible with no regards for length or player fatigue.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Update 4

That's it for RCC unless another major update hits; I probably won't be showcasing more mods until I'm done with Farland Story 4 but who knows?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Artix

Look, I can explain.

Artix, you need to stop.

No, you don't understand, this is gonna be a good one, I can tell-

It's 2022 and you're playing a kaizo hack.

Look... Have I lost control of my life? Yes. Are they going to carve my face into DK Isle by the time we're done with this hack because I'm that good at DKC2? Also yes.

Friends, I've played a lot of DK hacks. Good ones, trash ones, and everything in between. One could argue I have played, perhaps, too much Donkey Kong, if that is even a thing that can be done. But longtime viewers of the channel will know that toward the end of Unveiled, something...broke in me. At some point in K. Rool's Keep, we ditched the savestates wherever possible, and began to tackle levels with no assistance. And now, we stand at the foot of the only mountain left to conquer: the kaizo hack.

This is DKC2 Remodeled, a 2016 hack by a guy named prgmdest. For a point of comparison to the other stuff we've played, when we were trying out a new batch of hacks a week or two ago, FP didn't even make it to the first level's checkpoint (he totally could have beaten it if he had kept at it though). And yet...I feel compelled. Maybe this will be the one. I don't promise that I'll finish this, for a myriad of hopefully understandable reasons. I'm definitely going to cheat through bosses because frankly, there has never been a good DK boss, nor a good romhack one so why even bother with the formalities? As for the levels themselves though? I actually, genuinely have a good feeling if the first world is anything to go by.

And if I can be serious for just a moment, I remember there being a request in the Req Room a while ago for someone to play some of the more serious Kaizo Mario hacks. This... isn't quite that, although I hope I can scratch a similar itch for you. I tried to leave in a decent amount of "discovery" as I bumble my way through these levels, but in a lot of cases I am cutting down an hour or two (and let's not pretend that later worlds might not take more) to ~15 mins and I don't think it's fair to drag FP into a call and ask him to to be funny for hours while I die over and over and swear a bunch.

:siren: Table of Contents :siren:

Part 1: Definitely Intended Strats
Part 2: Return of the Troll Barrel
Part 3: Precision Swimming
Part 4: Romhack Boss Design

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 8, 2022

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Kaizo hacks: Great fun to watch! I am enjoying those videos.

Never gonna play 'em myself though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We even found GOOD dkc hacks we hadn't played yet and here he is, a man broken by donkey kong.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't hear FP in the first video. Not sure if this is a problem with the second too, only got sure this was an issue about 4 minutes in.

e: This does kinda add to the "man broken by Donkey Kong hacks" vibe though lol

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm actually not in these videos at all, that's why you can't hear me! This is a solo Artix venture, letting him record and edit on his own time without subjecting me to an hour of figuring out strats per level.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FPzero posted:

I'm actually not in these videos at all, that's why you can't hear me! This is a solo Artix venture, letting him record and edit on his own time without subjecting me to an hour of figuring out strats per level.

:lol: Here I was thinking this was a "FP is commenting with me over the short version of this" thing, but yeah, that makes sense.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah maybe I didn't make this clear enough but this is just me because like, imagine we're in Gloomy Gulch or something and FP having to sit there and be funny/insightful/whatever else for three hours and we don't even finish the level. That's not fair to him and depending on how much time he has available it also might mean we take weeks to finish levels.

E: also let's call it like it is, this is a flex. :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 17, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Artix, why would you do this to yourself

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

FPzero posted:

We even found GOOD dkc hacks we hadn't played yet and here he is, a man broken by donkey kong.

One more war crime to add to the pile at the feet of that ape.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The first level didn't impress me but the second definitely had that kaizo flair with a neat and horribly punishing gimmick and the third didn't disappoint either.

I hope this doesn't become horrible to play through, it does look surprisingly well-tested and actually fun for what it is so far. I feel the person/people behind it understood what DKC is about, as you said, "just go".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Forever in bad dkc hack jail

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Artix, why would you do this to yourself

100% actually, genuinely, because I can. The hack is punishing, and it demands a lot of precision, but it's not really all that hard and mostly a matter of patience to figure out the strats. A worse designed hack would be more trial and error or have lovely setups, but even from just these videos it's obvious that the author gets what makes a good DK level in terms of flow. Pretty much everything just works if you approach it with a first-cycle setup, provided you know the actual movements you need to be making.

...But also I'm really loving good at DK now, and I'm not afraid to show it. :v:

:siren: Part 3: Precision Swimming :siren:

I don't really have a planned schedule for this other than I will definitely have a new video on Wed and maybe for the weekend but that will depend a lot on how often I decide to record and whether or not I have time to do the editing. I will do my best to not do a single level per video per week, or else we'll be here for like, the next 8 months. :shepface:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love the horribly glitched bubbles, they give this level a very unique vibe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, this game can't handle very many enemies on-screen at a time, huh? I guess they do use up a lot of memory for all the sprites.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I just saw a new hack on Romhacking that has Squitter playable in every level. Do you have any plans on playing it? Not necessarily for us, but I know you love Squitter so I was just curious.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I am not, because if you thought Web Woods sucked for being too long and slow paced, what if *every* level was Web Woods?

:siren: Part 4: Romhack Boss Design :siren:

Imagine a world where we recognize that these bosses suck rear end, and just drop free, unlimited TNT at the start of every boss arena. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Okay, now open your eyes and see that we've removed the entire floor and added an off-screen Kannon instead.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Last time you did one of these I asked if it was a cry for help. This is clearly one. Please, real life friends of Artix, stage an intervention. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So far I had liked this hack but god this looked miserable. The level's Rattley part was confusing and the boss was terrible.