Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

(20 seconds into "We Did It Again")

Branch Davidian: "There is no god. What god would allow this?"

Koresh: "Yep, gently caress this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Why was Rap Metal, exactly, anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNPECkESPbU

And why was that one dude’s nickname Chester the Molester

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Something unsettling about this that I can't place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAgQMqVxiE

The overdone drum track and piano flourishments? The weirdly clean mix? It sounds like something they'd put in the english dub of an old anime.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVOzPPtiw

quote:

I came into this world as a reject
Look into these eyes
Then you'll see the size of these flames
Dwellin on the past
Its burnin' up my brain
Everyone that burns has to learn from the pain
Hey I think about the day
My girlie ran away with my pay
When fellas come to play
No she stuck with my homeez that she hosed
And I'm just a sucker with a lump in my throat
Hey, like a chump
Should I be feelin' bad? No
Should I be feelin good? No
Its kinda sad I'm the laughin' stock of the neighborhood
You would think that I'd be movin' on
But I'm a sucker like I said
hosed up in the head, not!!
Maybe she just made a mistake
I should give her a break
My heart will ache either way
Hey, what the hell
Watcha want me to say
I wont lie that I cant deny
I did it all for the nookie
Come on
The nookie
Come on
So you can take that cookie
And Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
Come on
The nookie
Come on
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
Why did it take so long?
Why did I wait so long, huh
To figure it out? but I did it
And I'm the only one underneath the sun who didn't get it
I cant believe that I can be deceived
By my so called girl, but in reality
Had hidden agenda
She put my tender heart in a blender
And still I surrendered
Hey, like a chump
Come on
The nookie
Come on
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
Come on
The nookie
Come on
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
I'm only human
Its so easy for your friends to give you their advice
They tell you to let it go
But its easier said then done
I appreciate it
I do, but just leave me alone
Leave me alone
Just leave me alone!!
Just leave me alone!
Aint nothin' gonna change
If you can go away
Im just gonna stay here and always be the same
If you can go away
If you can go away
Come on
The nookie
Come on
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!
Come on
The nookie
Come on
Stick it up your, yeah!
Stick it up your, yeah!

wow

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
limp bizkit lyrics are poetry

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

my homeez
:c00lbutt: :cool: :toot: :woop: :buddy:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jolo posted:

If the Feds were able to harness the power of "We Did it Again" back in '93, the Branch Davidians in Waco would've surrendered immediately.

they would have immolated themselves without that tank

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I remember seeing the parody on Shockwave.com back in 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1KmV9QH90

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffle House posted:

In 2000, someone with an Eminem poster on their wall watched that MTV video at 2am where Aerosmith and RunDMC teamed up for Walk this Way. And they were all like "yeah those sick guitar riffs and heavy drums actually make this "raphop" thing good!" So they found guys who were terrible rock metal musicians and were worse rappers than Beck and told them "Look. Just wear some baggy pants, and flip your cap backwards. Tell everyone you were from The Streets and you lived Under a trailer home and the educational system and the jobs market have totally failed YOU, dispossessed angry white guy, and your anger is fueling this new cool thing that is totally not ICP".

And so terrible music was born.

Also, some racism because "those black guys talk about big booty bitches and hoes and cristal dollar dollar bils yo and that's not my total hardcore reality Fred Durst knows my pain and I just feel good listening to him and not Poof Diddle!"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Cubone posted:

snoop dogg?

e: yep that's snoop dogg alright
e2: eminem??
and the guy from korn I am pretty sure??
e3: oh my god that was dre in the limosine
what the gently caress was going on in 2000

wait til you hear about the spawn soundtrack kid

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

FilthyImp posted:

In 2000, someone with an Eminem poster on their wall watched that MTV video at 2am where Aerosmith and RunDMC teamed up for Walk this Way. And they were all like "yeah those sick guitar riffs and heavy drums actually make this "raphop" thing good!" So they found guys who were terrible rock metal musicians and were worse rappers than Beck and told them "Look. Just wear some baggy pants, and flip your cap backwards. Tell everyone you were from The Streets and you lived Under a trailer home and the educational system and the jobs market have totally failed YOU, dispossessed angry white guy, and your anger is fueling this new cool thing that is totally not ICP".

And so terrible music was born.

Also, some racism because "those black guys talk about big booty bitches and hoes and cristal dollar dollar bils yo and that's not my total hardcore reality Fred Durst knows my pain and I just feel good listening to him and not Poof Diddle!"

i wish i cared about anything as much as how much you care about rap metal and how it sucks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Waffle House posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATllyNXF3Kg

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nu-metal was literally a bunch of idiots who heard Epic by Faith No More (the worst song by the best band) and burned that poo poo into the ground.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like Eminem's unusual presence on some alternative Rock stations at the time were a much bigger impact on creating nu metal. My Name Is and the Real Slim Shady both aired pretty regularly I assume because he was a white guy.

Oh yeah, Everlast and occasionally House of Pain too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

5er posted:

loving lol at the people occasionally racing out to defend some of the absolute worst examples of poo poo in this thread.

this post is so far the worst thing in the thread and i don't see anyone defending it :shrug:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

this post is so far the worst thing in the thread and i don't see anyone defending it :shrug:

Haha fine riposte, Tiny Tubesteak Tom!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There have been a total two (2) good rap metal songs in history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1hgXfX5-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6ZlIcd7nI

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Most people seem to forget DJ Lethal of Limp Bizkit was also in House of Pain. Between HoP and acts like the Beastie Boys playing with live bands and relying less on samples I think nu-metal was natural progression.

In the spirit of the thread and House of Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1nGPM9yHA

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I COULD... HURGLE GURGLE
Metallica put out some real fuckin' clunkers throughout this century while they worked their myriad issues and tried to become more enthused about music than bear-hunting. We Did It Again, St. Anger, loving LULU...
That was Death Magnetic, which had a nicer-sounding mix in Guitar Hero for some reason. St. Anger was mixed like poo poo, but it was also recorded like poo poo too - one of the tracks (I forget which) starts with a bass solo, and you can hear poo poo on the drumset rattling! To say nothing of the snare drum thaCLONK CLONK CLONK CLONK CLONK CLONK

They gave Guitar Hero a working mix of Death Magnetic, and then on the album they (they likely being the producer Rick Rubin) essentially hard-locked the album's volume to a certain level.

http://recordinghacks.com/2008/12/20/metallica-wins-the-loudness-wars/

The result is a record that is actually physically irritating to listen to... Unless you have the mix from the video game, which is all over YouTube.

This is probably the one with the most noticeable difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62YLJ1iw4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeaPhylCV8

Setting aside what you think of the song, that effect in the first one where it sounds like your speakers/headphones are broken is real. bad. mixin'.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 11, 2019

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

glad to see they improved on the original Sonic trailer

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

iamsosmrt posted:

I feel like Eminem's unusual presence on some alternative Rock stations at the time were a much bigger impact on creating nu metal. My Name Is and the Real Slim Shady both aired pretty regularly I assume because he was a white guy.

Oh yeah, Everlast and occasionally House of Pain too.

was there anything else notable from House of Pain other than Jump Around

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wamdoodle posted:

Everlast was a member of house of pain, iirc, so “What it’s Like” counts technically

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Wamdoodle posted:

"Top of the mornin to ya" and "House of the Rising Sun" come to mind. They were decently popular in New England, especially among the Irish.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Nu-metal was literally a bunch of idiots who heard Epic by Faith No More (the worst song by the best band) and burned that poo poo into the ground.
People keep trying to blame Faith No More or Rage Against the Machine, but that Aerosmith song with RUN DMC was way more influential.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
man, remember the grey album?
I'm not saying it has anything to do with rapmetal I just remembered it. it was prety good

then to that led to that jay-z/linkin park collab that nobody seemed interested in making other than mike shinoda. they used to SELL mash-ups lol
hey youtube bring me a mash-up offf... george michael, withhhh... skipknot
youthbe: "ok. anything else?"
no. thanks, youtube

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
PUNK GOES CRUNK!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I put hybrid theory on to see if any of it warrants posting in this thread

trip report: eh. it's fine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I talked mad poo poo about LP in high school and, as a band, I was really impressed with how they grew and kept producing good music.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Was it true Hybrid Theory changed their band name to Linkin Park so they could be alphabetically next to Limp Bizkit? I heard that as a kid. I'm sure some bands have done strategic alphabetizations like that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Was it true Hybrid Theory changed their band name to Linkin Park so they could be alphabetically next to Limp Bizkit? I heard that as a kid. I'm sure some bands have done strategic alphabetizations like that.

no but they did change the spelling to linkin park because lincolnpark.com was already taken, a truly visionary example of early SEO that will cement them in the pantheon of 21st century online marketing disruptors. All these startups misspelling their names on purpose? They owe it all to linkin park.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wamdoodle posted:

Who's the Man was a really good single from them

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They gave Guitar Hero a working mix of Death Magnetic, and then on the album they (they likely being the producer Rick Rubin) essentially hard-locked the album's volume to a certain level.

http://recordinghacks.com/2008/12/20/metallica-wins-the-loudness-wars/

The result is a record that is actually physically irritating to listen to... Unless you have the mix from the video game, which is all over YouTube.

This is probably the one with the most noticeable difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62YLJ1iw4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeaPhylCV8

Setting aside what you think of the song, that effect in the first one where it sounds like your speakers/headphones are broken is real. bad. mixin'.

My favorite was Rubin saying he meant for it to sound like that

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Who's the Man was a really good single from them

Who's the Man is harsh as gently caress.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I talked mad poo poo about LP in high school and, as a band, I was really impressed with how they grew and kept producing good music.
yeah, their later stuff surprised me

it's weird, hybrid theory does have the guitar amplifier set to "butt"
and the lyrical content is adolescent and self-pitying
and mike shinoda's rapping is... not like bad, but you can see why he was seen less as "a rapper" and more as "the rap guy from linkin park"

but, at the same time, they were obviously interested in finding artistic ways to express these strongly held feelings (even if those feelings were "I feel bad" and they were 23 years old and shut the gently caress up you god drat 23 year olds)

even Crawling, which is like synonymous with whiny white dude raprock, the lyrics are way better than I gave them credit for. they're clearly trying to capture the state of mind of a person whose lack of self-control has left them terrified of losing their sense of identity

quote:

Against my will, I stand beside my own reflection. It's haunting, how I can't seem to find myself again. My walls are closing in. Without a sense of confidence, I'm convinced that there's just too much pressure to take. I've felt this way before- so insecure.
apparently bennington wrote crawling about his drug and alcohol abuse, which makes me wonder if the title is in reference to delusional parasitosis? shrug.

it's not deep but putting them in the same bucket as limp bizkit almost seems mean
if limp bizkit wrote crawling it would be called "chew dirt" and the lyrics would go "I feel bad (what?) yeah said i motherfucking feel bad (c'mon!) [guitar breakdown] back the gently caress up"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cubone posted:

it's not deep but putting them in the same bucket as limp bizkit almost seems mean
if limp bizkit wrote crawling it would be called "chew dirt" and the lyrics would go "I feel bad (what?) yeah said i motherfucking feel bad (c'mon!) [guitar breakdown] back the gently caress up"
:hmmyes:

I agree they stand apart from that era's offerings. You noted that their lyricism improved, but overall I felt their music production actually changed and experimented with their sound.

Hybrid Theory has that rough sound, their later work was a little more digital and grand. Even if their Transformers songs sound a little alike, they're loads different that their first stuff.

I dunno, I just appreciate a band that can do that.

There was also the issue of their lead singer literally needing to change his singing due to vocal chord damage.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

olylifter posted:

Who's the Man is harsh as gently caress.

yeah I absolutely love that song

House of Pain were pretty good. A lot of it was because of DJ Muggs and Lethal doing incredible beats, but overall they had more good songs than bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This would be genius if it were on purpose. Like I could see Sacha Baron Cohen playing this.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Cubone posted:

man, remember the grey album?
I'm not saying it has anything to do with rapmetal I just remembered it. it was prety good

then to that led to that jay-z/linkin park collab that nobody seemed interested in making other than mike shinoda. they used to SELL mash-ups lol
hey youtube bring me a mash-up offf... george michael, withhhh... skipknot
youthbe: "ok. anything else?"
no. thanks, youtube

That JayZ/Linkin Park album is forever linked with a friend's brother in law's bachelor party around 2000. A friend had hired strippers to come to his place and for some reason the only music available on hand was the JayZ/Linkin album. That album is maybe twenty minutes long, so several of us sat around while these girls shoved their business in his face and the album looped like 8 times. It felt like I was stuck in some kind of white trash time loop. You may be wondering if this all took place in a high class hotel, and to that I would answer NO YOU FOOL OF COURSE IT WAS IN A DIRTY MOBILE HOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Nu-metal is making a comeback, instead its now rapping over metal instrumentals instead of metal vocalists trying to rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7AinOxULrU