Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what anime is this
legend of the galactic heroes
cowboy bebop
that one anime from malcolm in the middle
a false memory imprinted on your brain by misfirings of nerves
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This has been bugging me for a while so I figured I'd just toss it to the void.

When DVD was first becoming a thing, I got an extremely offbrand looking DVD as a gift. Bright orange cover, janky poorly cropped out art it, title like 'Giant Robot War!' or 'Mecha Attack' or something like that, it looked insanely bootleg. However, the actual content seemed to be an actual anime - I wasn't super plugged into anime back then, but I could tell it was decently animated and probably from Japan. I've lost the DVD since then, however, and my memories of it are pretty vague, so here's what I've got -

1) I'd peg it as late 80s in terms of era, based on my memories of what it looked like and how it moved? Definitely not any earlier than early 80s or any more recent than early 90s.

2) The main character was female, and the character designs were slightly 'cute', with rounded hair and eyes. I think the villain may have been female also, or at least a very pretty young guy, very Haman-ish if you've seen Zeta Gundam.

3) It was a mecha anime. From what I remember, the mech designs reminded me of Cybuster? Or, well, Cybuster reminds me of my vague memories of this. It definitely wasn't the Cybuster anime, though.

4) It was dubbed, very poorly, into English.

5) It was pretty short, an hourish or less, but I can't recall if it felt like a chopped up tv series, two episodes of a tv series stapled together, or an actual OVA. Definitely didn't feel like a theatrical film, though, unless they cut massive chunks out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The closest thing I can think of would be something along the lines of "Gall Force"

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dangaioh maybe?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
poo poo dangaioh sounds awesome just based off some of the char descriptions on that mal page

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All I can remember of Dangaioh is one of bad guys really loved drinking red wine

If it was that it was probably the OVA rather than the TV series since that had a typical early 90's chopped together release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was neither of those

actually the other hint i can offer is it's def. never been in a super robot wars game (except maybe the mobile game) because ive played most of those

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
If I remember right, one of the Fight! Iczer One, or maybe it was Iczer 3, DVDs had an orange cover. Time frame would fit, loosely. I have no idea if it was dubbed, though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Sailor Victory?

Was it a show where giant robots were common and used in armies, or one where the protagonist and maybe the main villain had one and they were really rare and special?

Anime planet only lists 14 mecha anime which were made between '80 and '95 and which got English dubs. It's always possible it was just that obscure though...

Edit:
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna?

Leda - The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko?

The ANN encyclopedia lists 281 titles released between '80 and '95 which were licensed for U.S. release, though there's no way to filter explicitly for ones which were dubbed...

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 28, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's this version of Sailor Victory which has a English dub, and this cover:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It wasn't any of those - from what I remember, mechs were special but most of the major antagonists and protagonists had them? It wasn't a series where there was just one mech but it wasn't a series where mechs were the main method of fighting, either.

And from what I remember of the quality of the dub it didn't sound like it was actually licensed for US distribution? Seemed more like a southeast asian thing.

https://cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max500x600/encyc/A2133-20.jpg

The style of this one does seem similar to what I'm thinking of, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually White Crane's post inspired me to just go digging through 'mecha anime from 1980-1990' and

https://anilist.co/anime/2094/Relic-Armor-Legaciam/

BAM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kitazume's smile and optimism: gone

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Those are some great character names!

Alcia Grace
Eruzebu Grace
Dorothy Twaif
Blick Twaif