Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are You Joining the Boycott?
Yes
No
Maybe
Yes
View Results

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I brought it up in the bad internet takes thread, but I'll toss it in here too... I liked the show a LOT, but the Bucks match fell into the trap that opens them up to their biggest critics. It was way too long (arguably not their fault, the loss of Page/PAC from the card, plus a limited amount of time to lay it out due to Matt and Nick's office duties meant it was pretty much thrown together last minute), had a smidge too many kickouts of big moves that should be protected and I think contributed to the perception of Omega/Jericho being long when it really wasn't.

It was still like ***3/4 because come on, all 4 guys are pros and some of the best in the world, but that match at 18 minutes is way better than it was at 26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There was a lot of subtle storytelling in the Bucks match from Being the Elite and briefly mentioned on commentary that while Lucha Bros were still doing double shots, the Bucks hadn't been in a match in months and the first half of the match was highlighting the Buck's ring rust and that they didn't stack up to the Lucha Bros. Around the middle the rust just faded away and turned into a Young Bucks match, but it would have been better if they played that up better for more of the match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The other issue is that if you're not following BTE (and I wasn't) some stuff wasn't explained well. Not just the SSB, because I at least get the trademark stuff being an issue (even if they should absolutely have come up with a usable name for them before putting them on TV) there, but just not really introducing some people or the angle with Brandi and the women hardly at all. And then the Bucks match, Excalibur said something about a new finisher, but they just did More Bang For Your Buck, and the Meltzer Driver (complete with Matt's OW MY BACK selling that he's been doing for like 18 months now and honestly, that would've been neat to see him drop for this match as part of the 'we've had time off, so we're rusty, but rested up' idea). So it's hard to know what's BS and what's actually the storyline when it breaks down into the usual Bucks formula.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its a ppv. they've had press conferences introducing a lot of these people. sometimes you can just roll out a wrestler on your tv. its okay. they'll have time to give everyone some spotlight once the tv show is up and running.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

LividLiquid posted:

The other news from Dave and Bryan is four PPVs a year. I'll pony up four times a year. That's not bad at all.

HELL YES. More than comfortable plunking down $50 four times a year.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

considering the network is going up to 15 bucks, its not that much more annually and the product seems like it will be better, so the people getting mad about having to actually pay for what the product is worth again should hopefully be swayed a bit more by the quarterly shows

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If All In did anywhere close to 200k buys then there is a chance AEW on TV could beat Smackdown out of the gate.

...There is no chance it did anywhere near 200k buys, and even half of that would be an absurdly good success.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If All In did anywhere close to 200k buys then there is a chance AEW on TV could beat Smackdown out of the gate.

...There is no chance it did anywhere near 200k buys, and even half of that would be an absurdly good success.
I'm pretty sure with illegal streams it had over 200k eyes on it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It also means they have to book shows we actually feel good about buying instead of coasting on our habitual monthly viewing habits.

The builds will have to be better, the product will have to be better, and even if they give us an ending we don't like, it'll have to be in service of making us want to see what happens next.

Basically, AEW has to be booked like a territory.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
100k buys is on the level of bottom-tier UFC cards that bloggers joke about getting zero traffic on their sites. If DoN did even close to that then it's a massive success.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Benne posted:

100k buys is on the level of bottom-tier UFC cards that bloggers joke about getting zero traffic on their sites. If DoN did even close to that then it's a massive success.
Even 85K buys is almost 5 million bucks in grosses.

Edit: I guess that's wrong because I calculated it at the US price point.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I can't help but imagine they'll do something like Clashes every so often as well to bridge big gaps between PPV shows - like you spend $50 four times a year, but every few months, maybe spaced in four other months of the year, you get a bigger-than-normal show on TNT, maybe in a similar timeslot to the PPVs (... really tempting to just say "TNT can give them 6:05 on Saturday nights every few months for a TV special, why not, if there's no sports to air they're just running movies or reruns in that timeslot anyway").

With All Out happening on the 31st, it sounds like they're declaring Saturday night to be their PPV night, after all.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/JonMoxley/status/1132868564132741120

mox is gonna cut switchblades throat for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
holy christ