Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The Pattern being the player only makes sense that we're led to believe there are no more humans left on Earth, only the Pattern. But why then would the Pattern travel around the countryside like a human being, instead of how we've seen the other light orbs dance? Why is the Pattern taking a tour or events that it was a direct observer of?

It's also interesting that the Pattern is able to pull out Mary and Edward from beyond the grave to bring them to their partners, and that's just dropped as a throwaway line like it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's also interesting that the Pattern is able to pull out Mary and Edward from beyond the grave to bring them to their partners, and that's just dropped as a throwaway line like it's not a big deal.

I took that to mean she saw them in their youth together, the way we see all these other memories.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

I took that to mean she saw them in their youth together, the way we see all these other memories.

A past shining into the present, a present that illuminates the future.

I think that, rather than assume the Pattern's evaculighted the entire world, it might be that Stephen can't raise anyone outside the valley due to the same phenomenon that kept Kate inside the Valis complex, unable to conceive of an outside world. The way Kate speaks makes me think that we're one of the people she's talking about who came after her, walking through the remnants, seeing that she left unafraid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glazius posted:

A past shining into the present, a present that illuminates the future.

I think that, rather than assume the Pattern's evaculighted the entire world, it might be that Stephen can't raise anyone outside the valley due to the same phenomenon that kept Kate inside the Valis complex, unable to conceive of an outside world. The way Kate speaks makes me think that we're one of the people she's talking about who came after her, walking through the remnants, seeing that she left unafraid.

he hears the Pattern howling in the wires after the bombs drop. everybody’s gone to the rapture. EVERYBODY

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The Pattern being the player only makes sense that we're led to believe there are no more humans left on Earth, only the Pattern. But why then would the Pattern travel around the countryside like a human being, instead of how we've seen the other light orbs dance? Why is the Pattern taking a tour or events that it was a direct observer of?
My best guess is that the player is Kate being led by the Pattern. (I mean, they're sort of the same thing, since the Pattern is inside Kate.) It explains why you start at the observatory, and why the camera suddenly jumps away from that last radio inside Tower Six.

klafbang posted:

Maybe this could all have been averted if she had succeeded and Steve hadn't run around like a very British GI Joe and had he tried to understand the foreign pattern instead of immediately trying to kill it?
The story of the fox rings true, except not as Stephen intends it to be.
The Pattern isn't the fox. Stephen is. Scared. Panicking. Hurting everyone around him by spreading the Pattern, because he doesn't know he's doing it.
That scene with Stephen and Howard at the stairs is where it starts to hit him. He doesn't put all the pieces together for a few more scenes but it's that one that sets off the realization that it's too late on a global scale.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I wish Uzumaki-but-British had stuck the landing but I am glad but I am also glad a British Uzumaki exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

oldskool posted:

My best guess is that the player is Kate being led by the Pattern. (I mean, they're sort of the same thing, since the Pattern is inside Kate.) It explains why you start at the observatory, and why the camera suddenly jumps away from that last radio inside Tower Six.

The story of the fox rings true, except not as Stephen intends it to be.
The Pattern isn't the fox. Stephen is. Scared. Panicking. Hurting everyone around him by spreading the Pattern, because he doesn't know he's doing it.
That scene with Stephen and Howard at the stairs is where it starts to hit him. He doesn't put all the pieces together for a few more scenes but it's that one that sets off the realization that it's too late on a global scale.

Hey, I never even thought of that. I find Stephen sympathetic too, and I think this is a big part of why; he was driven to do the things he did by his knowledge, by his pride, by his need to fix what is wrong... and it's not until that all drains away that he can see clearly. I may not have liked Stephen, but I've met people like him... I can strongly see him in my mind, and that's a mark of a good character. So I don't really hold with all that sociopaths talk, as I don't really see it and I tend to think that label, as well as mental illness in general, is overused for behaviors people don't like or understand straight out. What Stephen was doing was one of the mysteries the game presented and happened to answer: not crazy or possessed- just, you know, an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I liked this. There isn't any real explanation or catharsis at the end, and nor is the Pattern an what it's doing here really explained, but I wasn't really looking for either... as a piece of lovely atmosphere and an opportunity to sketch out a community, this wasn't bad. It's a mood piece, like all the Chinese Room games I've played tend to be, and that's all right.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 6, 2019