Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Looks like the battle of the Larries has been delayed by a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

beat the fire boss. the fashion in this game is strong

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The snake bitch youre about to fight will probably be like the hardest boss by far in the next ten missions lol, don't give up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres little mechanics in this game that make it feel a lot meaner than souls. getting pushed off a ledge puts you in this vulnerable "woah!" state for ages letting you get cut up. no invulnerability when youre doing special moves and finishers.

not complaining, just realizing how super generous souls games are about little things like that. like getting your guard broken in souls is a tiny slipup that *might* get punished, running out of stamina in nioh2 might as well instantly pull up the game over screen

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also collecting demon powers like aria of sorrow powers is really cool as hell, this game is full of cool poo poo

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
You can dodge out of whoa state any time though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Entered a rare gaming trance and played with for four hours without pause today. It took a few days for the muscle memory to set in but now I'm getting into the swing of it this game just feels insanely good to play, got all of the dodge ki pulses now and some sick followup hits for the Odachi and demolishing everything with giant sword combos and infinite ki quicksteps. Real big fan of how many options the stance system gives you once you get your head around it too, being able to go from big gently caress you poise destroying swings to quick hit and run combos in a moment on the same weapon is fantastic mechanic, I feel like you could spend a whole playthrough just mastering the ins and outs of a couple of weapons.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

The snake bitch youre about to fight will probably be like the hardest boss by far in the next ten missions lol, don't give up

definitely was the hardest boss yet but it taught me a lot. this game rules

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

definitely was the hardest boss yet but it taught me a lot. this game rules

We should really co-op sometime. In case you don't know (it's probably never explained lol) the game has some weird level scaling in place when you do a mission in co-op mode where the difficulty remains about the same but you still get drops scaled to your characters level -- so if you replay old boss missions in co-op mode you can get stronger high level Soul Cores from early missions without having to wait to roll around in NG+

edit: If you've seen any "Twilight Missions" pop up in the bottom left of the map they work the same way. It's a rotating daily set of remixed campaign missions that will always scale to your level and provide level-appropriate drops for equipment and soul cores. If you're still early in the story though there's a good chance they'll be for missions you haven't finished yet and therefore unplayable

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i can't stop thinking about this game lol. it's loving cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

We should really co-op sometime. In case you don't know (it's probably never explained lol) the game has some weird level scaling in place when you do a mission in co-op mode where the difficulty remains about the same but you still get drops scaled to your characters level -- so if you replay old boss missions in co-op mode you can get stronger high level Soul Cores from early missions without having to wait to roll around in NG+

edit: If you've seen any "Twilight Missions" pop up in the bottom left of the map they work the same way. It's a rotating daily set of remixed campaign missions that will always scale to your level and provide level-appropriate drops for equipment and soul cores. If you're still early in the story though there's a good chance they'll be for missions you haven't finished yet and therefore unplayable

ya some dude was telling me about them on stream, the remixed missions with changed enemy placement is like a built in sotfs lmao its cool.

i went from those naga ladies being my worst nightmare to killing them in 4 seconds because there's one on the run-up to that snake boss, powerful feeling

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

these bird tengu guys are loving me up holy poo poo theyre so hard. i get that it's trying to teach me the importance of dodging and counters but theyre rough

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I'm about half way through NG+ and things really click when you think of this as diablo souls which is pretty cool how they managed to get it to work with so many different weapon styles to choose from. Enemy and attack design must have been a priority in development to make it all work.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Wait till you fight the dlc bird enemies :stare:

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

Wait till you fight the dlc bird enemies :stare:

those things hosed me up big time in the base game, scared just thinking about it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They probably could have made an entire new game just using all the fist mechanics, what a rad weapon type.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

update: still playing this, its very good. the side content balance is sometimes whack, like duels with dudes that have 5x more HP than the last boss you fought and oneshot you lol.

it's a sick game otherwise. appreciate that its easy to switch to a new weapon type and it levels up super fast. main story is constantly introducing new really cool enemies

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i saw throne of blood for the first time and immediately switched to sword and it feels so good, it doesn't tear through stamina like the axe but it's got a really sick counter system

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

update: still playing this, its very good. the side content balance is sometimes whack, like duels with dudes that have 5x more HP than the last boss you fought and oneshot you lol.

it's a sick game otherwise. appreciate that its easy to switch to a new weapon type and it levels up super fast. main story is constantly introducing new really cool enemies

Quite a few of those duels were free post-launch content added before the proper DLC came out, and I think the chapter they end up in is based on where they make sense in the story, but not necessarily representative of difficulty level. They're doable but some of them are pretty loving hard if you try them as soon as they unlock

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

Quite a few of those duels were free post-launch content added before the proper DLC came out, and I think the chapter they end up in is based on where they make sense in the story, but not necessarily representative of difficulty level. They're doable but some of them are pretty loving hard if you try them as soon as they unlock

yeah one of them was to fight nobunaga in a duel and hes a total badass lol. all his moves are imbued with explosions and he armors through absolutely everything, no way im ready for that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

got this a few weeks ago and finally made it past character creation

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol hell yeah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sick

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pretty sure im on the next-to-last boss of this game and I just need to clear it already, it kept pissing me off lol. but i will prevail.

overall this game badly needed more area variety and the skill system is bloated w dumb crap but its very cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

pretty sure im on the next-to-last boss of this game and I just need to clear it already, it kept pissing me off lol. but i will prevail.

overall this game badly needed more area variety and the skill system is bloated w dumb crap but its very cool

yeah I got burned out on the first one and never got round to the dlc so I'll take this one pretty slowly between other games I think.

Can't decide what Majima's moveset should be, I feel like the most appropriate choice is probably like dual swords and tonfas to zoom around like a maniac with magic to give them the demonfire dagger thing, but I don't want to use those, so I'm probably just going to use the switchglaive which looks awesome and fists because those are always fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

these people are loving demented. I don't know what a soul core is but apparently I have a purified one now. It costs 8 to use. 8 what? Yes. Alternatively I can turn it into Soul Fragments via the Resting Rites, so that's good. It gives me +4% in my weird lump of stones... stat? I can do soul fusion, but that doesn't increase the level of a soul core, only its rank. Obviously. You stupid loving retard imagine not knowing the difference between a soul core(?) rank(?) and level(?) and how it changes the lump of stones stat(?) . you fudcking cuck

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

these people are loving demented. I don't know what a soul core is but apparently I have a purified one now. It costs 8 to use. 8 what? Yes. Alternatively I can turn it into Soul Fragments via the Resting Rites, so that's good. It gives me +4% in my weird lump of stones... stat? I can do soul fusion, but that doesn't increase the level of a soul core, only its rank. Obviously. You stupid loving retard imagine not knowing the difference between a soul core(?) rank(?) and level(?) and how it changes the lump of stones stat(?) . you fudcking cuck

it is so incredibly overwhelming with nonsense stats and almost none of it matters lol. beeline to the thing that breaks enemy poise like the sword kick, pump everything into hp and damage and swap items every now and then for bigger numbers

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
None of that stuff matters well until the end game which is like 6 ng+ cycles from where you are and that's only for minmaxing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
if you want to have a lot of fun, use the ninjutsu feather magic