Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
My 3 year old son thought it would be fun to open my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 5570) and dance on the keyboard. He weighs like 38 pounds.
After he did that, the laptop crashes any time too much pressure is applied on the keyboard area.. Basically video glitches will appear and it will freeze up.

Any ideas what it could be? Maybe keyboard top cover warped and shorting it? Damage to motherboard? It doesn't crash if it isn't moved, but moving it I have to be very careful.

It was a fairly cheap laptop I bought last year ($350 on sale, I put $150 in upgrades to it) so it's not a huge deal if it is FUBAR but I'd like to repair it if I can. Replacement motherboards cost as much as the system itself did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Sounds like the weight cracked the mobo or broke some of the soldering, so when pressure is applied the damaged component/circuit becomes misaligned/shifted and looses connection.

I’d say get another/different machine since swapping the mobo isn’t cost effective in this case.