Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any recommended 'triform' warshade builds regardless of budget? I've been twiddling away with the MFing build from Dechs but I dont know how relevant that is being that it's over a decade+ old, with little bits of Dooms (which seems to be out of date too?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I main a Peacebringer but there’s a few good WS guides on the Homecoming forums. I’ve never really been able to get into warshades. The highest I got was in the 40s and never really got to an endgame build.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Am I the only guy who liked Redside? I enjoyed that after a sea of generic missions Blueside when it came out, every contact had a story arc or arcs. Blueside had you stumbling into those by luck.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah one thing to bear in mind about redside is the context of the game at the time it released. Blueside content was a lot of filler. The missions weren't randomly generated but they might as well have been, and even the story arcs were full of generic defeat alls. Redside was kind of the proving ground for the storytelling format the game would use going forward and a lot of blueside as you'd play it now now was built afterwards, using that template.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 29, 2024

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've always liked red side, particularly the weird island atmosphere and all the old-world buildings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, most everything in City of Villains was a response to the foibles of early-era CoH. The zone design also tried to tighten things up so every zone was more like The Hollows/Striga/Croatoa and they did away with the bizarre bloated Hazard/Trial zones full of endless armies of bad guys that nobody actually used outside of the occasional mission sending you there.

The problem is that from a modern perspective "better than launch CoH" isn't exactly a huge bar to clear. And CoV was still ultimately developed in the Cryptic era where their overall grasp of design was a mess. So like we were talking about a little while ago, sure the stories are more coherent and streamlined, but the actual quality of the writing isn't actually that much better and parts of the game feel unfinished.

Plus while they obviously took what they learned from CoV going forward, it was by and large used to further enrich blueside, with villains only getting the occasional table scraps. So nowadays after multiple paradigm shifts, updates, and changes, CoV is the old clunky part of the game in the same way CoV was once the bold step forward from the old clunky CoH. Even a comparatively new, well-liked contact like Dean MacArthur is actually kind of already outdated and quaint compared to the cutting edge Going Rogue and beyond stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah one thing to bear in mind about redside is the context of the game at the time it released. Blueside content was a lot of filler. The missions weren't randomly generated but they might as well have been, and even the story arcs were full of generic defeat alls. Redside was kind of the proving ground for the storytelling format the game would use going forward and a lot of blueside as you'd play it now now was built afterwards, using that template.

Also I will stand in minor defense of CoH's filler missions, because while they were not part of a greater storyline, many of them actually existed to convey tidbits straight out of the story bible. These days they might as well be invisible because people barely do story arcs as it is, let alone random standalone missions. If anything, a lot of the one-offs probably worked better because as you said, the arcs tended to very bloated.

And given how poorly CoV conveys a lot of its ideas, it maybe could've benefited from a few more standalone missions here and there instead of trying to make everything into a full blown story arc. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we ended up with stuff like Sharkhead's exhaustively redundant story beats.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A big reason that the contacts had stand-alones and filler is because if you wanted to do missions, that was it. You had to do those, because there was no source of infinitely repeatable missions yet. I don't think anything like that really existed until papers in City of Villains, and later radios in City of Heroes. Why bother cluttering up the redside contacts with nigh-contextless "go to this place, punch these dudes" missions when people who want that can just do a paper job?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I honestly would’ve been satisfied if, instead of a whole villain side, they just implemented the ability to customize your own rogue’s gallery that would show up in random missions and story arcs.

Honestly just slotting in some random player villains in your missions would have been cool. "Oh hey I saw you in a kill skuls mission the other day, dude"

Remember the weird dorky poo poo where they put people's characters in that comic for a while? What a weird hook.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ironslave posted:

Am I the only guy who liked Redside? I enjoyed that after a sea of generic missions Blueside when it came out, every contact had a story arc or arcs. Blueside had you stumbling into those by luck.

I liked it a lot, there wasn't all that much Actually Villainous stuff to me but it's overall a lot more grown up than the blue side stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Grown up enough to have blackjack, and hookers! :v:

I don't hate redside either, with the caveat that these days all that matters is whether or not I can reliably get teams. And unfortunately even on a server as busy as Excelsior it's no guarantee.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
LRSF is more fun than MLSF. That's what's most important.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I don't hate redside either, with the caveat that these days all that matters is whether or not I can reliably get teams. And unfortunately even on a server as busy as Excelsior it's no guarantee.

this is still insane to me when it's literally free to become a vigilante or rogue and there's also no longer any gameplay benefits to pure hero/villain alignments

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

this is still insane to me when it's literally free to become a vigilante or rogue and there's also no longer any gameplay benefits to pure hero/villain alignments

Villain alignment is still advantageous for Dominators. The Fury power instantly refills the Domination bar, which can be a lifesaver when you need it up early in a mission before you would otherwise have it at full, permadom or not.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Brutes also get a full meter from Frenzy, the Villain alignment power.

Heroes get Call to Justice, which is a PBAOE Build Up, and that's nice for Masterminds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaCrash posted:

Brutes also get a full meter from Frenzy, the Villain alignment power.

Heroes get Call to Justice, which is a PBAOE Build Up, and that's nice for Masterminds.

Call to Justice Heromind just makes me think Mercenaries and macroing “Yo Joe!” every time you Call to Justice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SimonChris posted:

They could have just made villain contacts your minions who find opportunities for you. Instead they were dead set on making villain characters basically mercenaries doing jobs for more important people.

Old post here, but entirely this. It wasn't so much of a technical problem as a creative one, and failing to solve it really showed up the devs' creative limitations. They could've even worked it into the CoV PC's player arc! They want to be their own villain but they're too small-time and Lord Recluse has the Rogue Isles on lockdown, everyone works for him, so they begrudgingly work onward and upward in the hopes of someday being big enough to strike out on their own/become the new boss. Classic organized crime stuff, the ambitious upstart who's gonna run this town someday, etc. Your contacts are a combination of legit Arachnos/affiliated criminals and your own growing network of agents and minions as you build your own power base, maintaining a dangerous balancing act as you rise through the ranks.

Having to talk to NPCs to get missions is probably always going to be a thing, just mechanically. Browsing a newspaper or smartphone to craigslist or whatever, fundamentally, you still have to receive content from the game. How that content is crafted, whether it makes you an active participant or just a passenger in someone else's story, that context is what makes the difference between a glorified errand boy and a rising star.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Waffle Shake posted:

Or celebrating Hitler's birthday on their official Discord. Or the fact that they split off in the first place because Homecoming was enforcing rules against hate speech. Even if they do make interesting changes on Thunderspy, it's still a bunch of Nazis.

Wait what lol

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Yeah, Thunderspy I remember had a big thing about All Speech is Free Speech when they first formed which is why I never had any interest in the server despite the neat things they apparently did on it from a design standpoint. I'll take the HC community banning people who spew racist garbage out or other extremely uncool things over the 'nazis have feelings too' crowd.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DangerDan posted:

Yeah, Thunderspy I remember had a big thing about All Speech is Free Speech when they first formed which is why I never had any interest in the server despite the neat things they apparently did on it from a design standpoint. I'll take the HC community banning people who spew racist garbage out or other extremely uncool things over the 'nazis have feelings too' crowd.

I went to the Thunderspy Discord the first day. Their MOTD referred to Homecoming as "Homocumming", and there were plenty of other delightful slurs scattered about. So even if they aren't actually 4chan they're not too far away.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Yeah, when I went into the TSpy discord in like late 2020, did a search for the gamer word, and got back 10,000+ results, so I quickly just left that discord.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That pretty much sums up Discord in general

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I have never joined a discord server where that kind of poo poo is acceptable and I'm currently in 181 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kheldarn posted:

It really really isn’t on a normal server lol.