Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Judas

Judas has no knowledge of Korean Folklore or Spirit lore.

"Is that bad?" he asks, shrugging before getting back in the vehicle. The village was probably a better prospect in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

The Bible posted:

He shifts uncomfortably.

"Well, we were expecting company. Backup. When the van pulled up, we didn't really think much of it until the drones started firing. After that, well, you saw the video..."

Judge Intent could be revealing here...

Elena

I sigh, and endeavor mightily not to make it look adorable. (I don't think I make it.)

"Come on. You've got to be straight with us, my dude. We're on your side, trying to make up for the whole mess. If you tell us everything, we can get her back and brush this under the rug."

Ten friggin' hits on that roll.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

Elena

I sigh, and endeavor mightily not to make it look adorable. (I don't think I make it.)

"Come on. You've got to be straight with us, my dude. We're on your side, trying to make up for the whole mess. If you tell us everything, we can get her back and brush this under the rug."

Ten friggin' hits on that roll.

Elena

He's definitely holding a lot back.

The guard falls silent for a bit.

"Well... well I guess you ARE supposedly deniable assets. Not like I ever talked to you anyway, right?

Alright. Mijin is involved in a few little... let's say side businesses. She's kind of an expert dealing with spirits. Calling them, fighting them. Capturing them.

We were expecting someone. Someone a lot like you guys, actually. There's this spirit village out there, first one discovered, supposed to be just loving packed with all kinds of ghosts or whatever. After she was done at the temple, she was supposed to go with them, pick up some big, mean thing out there for someone. I don't know for who, that's above my paygrade and would probably get me killed to know. All I know is it was supposed to be a mean fucker and they needed the best to get it. Hell, for all I know, these were the guys, but we were informed. No need to storm us if we were ready to let her go.

Listen, if you can keep that quiet, or at least where you heard it, I'd owe you one. Her high-ups aren't supposed to know about it, and if they find out I knew and didn't say poo poo, well, this gets a lot hotter for me."

Mr. Ice

On their way to the apartments, Mr. Ice starts to recall a fuzzy memory of an old trid movie taking place in Korea. It was a horror movie borrowing heavily from ancient Korean folklore, in which a group of people is killed after encountering a creature called a Dalgyal Gwishin, or as the translation called it, an "Egg Ghost", apparently describing the appearance of the head without any other features.

The simplest of ghosts in Korean mythology, and also probably the most deadly and threatening. They're usually only encountered in the mountains, according to the trid, and are born of horrific trauma in their human lives. Humans who died so devoid of friends or family, any affection or love at all, their spirits themselves become empty shells, without emotion or personality. Without mercy. Like a vacuum in the continuum of life, the gaping void of their existence drains the life of those that encounter them.

Team Apartments

You all head off toward the abandoned apartments. Along the way, you see a sign still standing, the translated readout reading "SamBak Apartments: 5km".

The ride there is uneventful. The Matrix is silent, save for the slowly strengthening signal of the lone host discovered earlier. You approach the now rusted and hanging gate at the wall of the apartment. A guardhouse sits empty, the pane long missing its bulletproof glass. A burned out matrix terminal sits inside, now a nest for various vermin.

Perception checks, to speed things up, you can just roll them in the discord and state your actions there and I can post all that here, or you can simply post it here yourself. Up to you; whatever gets things rolling a bit faster.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 4, 2019

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Byeorak

<Typical drek, they hire us to deal with this mess and they hold back on the key details,> he tells Elena over DNI. The large troll gives audible, deep hrmmf and pulls his shoulders back. He gives Elena a look, and then nods his head towards the door.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Elena

Huh. Well, ain't that a thing.

I nod at him, almost professionally.

"I have plenty of sources, fella. I'll make arrangements to claim it was from one of them, if it comes to that. Betting it won't, though. I mean, let's be honest, here - neither of us is really that important, right?"

Looks like that's all he's got, so I mosey on with Byeorak.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mr. Ice

Stepping closer to the entrance, you notice a bit of shuffling on one of the rooftops. Something peering down, then darting out of sight. Quite similar to the creature seen earlier scampering away from the van.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Elena, Byeorak

Leaving the hospital, you get on the road not far behind your comrades, diverting at the path to the spirit village.

A quick AR notification pops up, displaying tourist info regarding the first spirit village discovered in Korea, as well as the largest by far.

Populated by countless spirits of varying levels of power, as well as a few mortals, typically a Korean female shaman known locally as mudang, usually responsible for the management of spirits across the country.

As you pass into the borders of the village, you don't see a lot that would normally alert you to the presence of a village. Your surroundings look far more like a ruin. Traditional thatch-roofed huts, footsteps worn into their stone stairs by centuries of residents crossing them, full walls removed into a large courtyard. Most of the gates here are wide open, with no sign of life. Various multicolored orbs drift lazily across the sky, a few stopping briefly to follow you, then moving in on apparent disinterest.