Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
While I can appreciate the hilarity of in-game code being used for nefarious purposes, it's still a gimmick. As we learned from worlds adrift, a gimmick alone is not enough to float an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
But what if they had... even more gimmicks?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I never thought I'd actually become interested in learning to code but here we are

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

today on the adventures of the plucky official starbase discord: People posting concentration camp names for planet name suggestions don't get removed, but people suggesting Computer do.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase Boltcrackers - Episode 6: Spaceship Modifications

Summarization of video: WITNESS ME!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So Starbase has been delayed, but check the announcements channel on the Starbase goon Discord for some stuff to do in the meantime.

That said, they're really churning out and polishing some good features. I never really cared about an alpha this year in favor of them focusing on that anyway, personally.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I just heard about this game like 6 months ago. I’m not worried about playing for at least another 5 years. Still seems like it’ll be way sooner than that so all good.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
new trailer, tentative excitement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAax6kzJkfc

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Still no word on early access I see.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
They can make cool trailers but at this point I'm more interested in how the game plays.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

That's... a lot of ships on screen at one time. Consider me hyped.

Also, it's probably been said already but if our home station isn't a massive fortified goatse death star I'm selling you all out to reddit

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That's no moon

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

dylguy90 posted:

That's... a lot of ships on screen at one time. Consider me hyped.

Also, it's probably been said already but if our home station isn't a massive fortified goatse death star I'm selling you all out to reddit

Giant bee hive imo

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

No reason it couldn't look like a giant beehive from one angle and a giant goatse from another

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That trailer almost looks good, like everything is in place and working, but I bet it isn't.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I've been hyped about this before I found elite but more and more I see trailers of this, the more I am cautious.
Building such a thing needs immense amount of efforts and can be destroyed just by a single drunkard at the steering wheel stick slider.
Will they introduce something like insurance or fast-build?
I don't want to spend a month gathering, planning and building my small base for it to just fall apart when I first land on it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

add point defence cannons to shoot anything going < 10m/s relative within a bubble of space

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I've been hyped about this before I found elite but more and more I see trailers of this, the more I am cautious.
Building such a thing needs immense amount of efforts and can be destroyed just by a single drunkard at the steering wheel stick slider.
Will they introduce something like insurance or fast-build?
I don't want to spend a month gathering, planning and building my small base for it to just fall apart when I first land on it.

If things pan out with this, a great deal of your time will probably be spent hijacking other people's ships and flying them directing into other people's bases.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Just remember worlds adrift is all im going to say. It looked like the second coming. Then we all played it and lagged off ships into the abyss, lagged when we loaded a zone, lagged when we got in a big fight. The game imploded because the engine could not be fixed. There is a reason that Eve has TIDI. I'll believe it when we play.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i'm cautiously optimistic.

i expect it to be a giant laggy mess of spaghetti, but it could be fun with a few peeps

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

T-man posted:

add point defence cannons to shoot anything going < 10m/s relative within a bubble of space

There are no automated turrets, all turrets have to be manned or tied to a manned fire-control system...for the time being, there are range finders however, with a little engineering, a smart goon could rig up a very primate auto-targeting system.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's gonna run like wet dog rear end but then so does everything else I enjoy.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1A09u3huSRkRxoA6IqcdyOi3yH7YBiybJEsHVceWbUmY
Starbase dev survey.
Some questions raise more questions than they should.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
One question makes it sound like designing your own ship isn't possible at this time.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

What do you think of the community so far:
COMPUTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Hommando posted:

One question makes it sound like designing your own ship isn't possible at this time.

You can. They have some sort of ship designer (yet to be seen) and also you can just bolt things together by hand if you truly hate your spare time.