Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2016, refer to archives]

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Current:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKVE4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the book:

quote:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus is a 2005 non-fiction book by American author and science writer Charles C. Mann about the pre-Columbian Americas. It was the 2006 winner of the National Academies Communication Award for best creative work that helps the public understanding of topics in science, engineering or medicine.

The book presents recent research findings in different fields that suggest human populations in the Western Hemisphere—that is, the indigenous peoples of the Americas—were more numerous, had arrived earlier, were more sophisticated culturally, and controlled and shaped the natural landscape to a greater extent than scholars had previously thought.

The author notes that, according to these findings, two of the first six independent centers of civilization arose in the Americas: the first, Norte Chico or Caral-Supe, in present-day northern Peru; and that of Formative-era Mesoamerica in what is now southern Mexico.

tildes posted:

Thank you for the 1491 rec, it’s really good so far! Also mostly very depressing— I’m currently in the “long discussion of how brutal epidemics decimated everyone” section. I guess this is a downside of a lot of information about cultures coming in large part from the people who ended them.

E: it’s also just really interesting in general how different this is from what I was taught in high school, pretty much the only time I took classes covering this

canyoneer posted:

Charles C Mann explains evidence in his book 1491 that the great grassland prairies were essentially shaped by the Native Americans into giant, sustainable buffalo game preserves. Then the huge genocides through disease or direct warfare threw that balance out of wack and led to a huge population explosion and overpopulation of bison. It's not unlike why deer populations have exploded and need to be managed through hunting because the predators are all gone.

European invaders turned the infinitely replenishing supply of buffalo into a population crash and near extinction

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

1491 talks about how europeans arrived in North America thinking it was a paradise- forests full of apple trees and blackberry bushes and nuts and beans and game animals- not realizing that it was like this because up until recently, it had all been cultivated land.

The talk about native american agriculture in that book is really interesting, to the point it makes me wish I had studied plant science instead of just taking one class. They developed a system of growing a diverse mix of symbiotic crops that worked well together, up to fifteen different crops in one group. This resulted in a nutrionally-complete diet and a field that was fertile year after year, rather than the european (and modern) system of ecologically-unsound monocrop fields that inevitably go fallow and produce a poor diet of breads and cereals.

About the Author(s)

quote:

Charles C. Mann (born 1955)[1] is an American journalist and author, specializing in scientific topics. His book 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus won the National Academies Communication Award for best book of the year. He is the coauthor of four books, and contributing editor for Science, The Atlantic Monthly, and Wired.

Themes

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://www.npr.org/2005/08/21/4805434/1491-explores-the-americas-before-columbus

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/03/1491/302445/

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I have started reading this as I'm on a bit of a nonfiction kick and the topic is very interesting! Hopefully I'll manage my time well enough to get it read before the end of the month.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this was on my wishlist anyway so i just grabbed it. will start in on it tomorrow.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sounds like this should be extremely my poo poo, I'm in.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Was already on my to-read pile, guess I'll pick it up next

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

read about a fourth of the book so far, and it has been very interesting. Personally I had never heard of the background on Tisquantum beyond the general US stuff, that possibly the entire reason for backing the pilgrims was potentially a power play to wrest control of the Wampanoag from Massasoit. Or that the burying the fish in the fields wasn't really from investigation an ancient native practice, but might have been copied from his travels in Europe. Also just in general the utter incompetence of the English in general.

Reading about the Inca, and while I knew they had developed an Empire, I didn't realize how quickly it arose in the mid 1400's.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Reading about the Inca, and while I knew they had developed an Empire, I didn't realize how quickly it arose in the mid 1400's.

I see you are not an EU4 player. (Global-scope historical strategy game spanning the years 1444 to 1820 where basically any organized political state that existed in the timeframe is playable; one of the more interesting underdog type campaigns is to start out as one of the rising New World powers and try to grow strong enough to resist the Europeans when they come knocking.)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Groke posted:

I see you are not an EU4 player. (Global-scope historical strategy game spanning the years 1444 to 1820 where basically any organized political state that existed in the timeframe is playable; one of the more interesting underdog type campaigns is to start out as one of the rising New World powers and try to grow strong enough to resist the Europeans when they come knocking.)

I have like several phundred hours, I just never bothered playing as a colonizing nation.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Gonna start introducing myself as The Wrath of God.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I want to know if that was discussed beforehand. "What should my white devil name be?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Did this on audiobook a few years back. It was super good.

I’m gonna see if I can grab the sequel for my new kindle

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Honestly, I like 1493 even better. Mann really digs into how completely and utterly the Columbian Exchange reshaped the planet. The scope of it is mind-blowing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fighting Trousers posted:

Honestly, I like 1493 even better. Mann really digs into how completely and utterly the Columbian Exchange reshaped the planet. The scope of it is mind-blowing.

We can talk about the sequel here too if people want, folks are probably unfamiliar though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

1493 is one of the few books where I'd put it down after reading a particular passage and just marvel in how much the world changed as a result of one drunken Italian going off course.

I haven't read either book in a few years but I recommend them to people so much that I should probably find some time to revisit both entries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I was hoping for more discussion but I'm assuming everyone is just sortof responding with stunned silence.

My favorite section overall is probably the one about how the entire Amazon isn't a wild forest: it's a planted orchard.

Also, this news story from a year or two ago made me think of this book:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42916261

quote:

Researchers have found more than 60,000 hidden Maya ruins in Guatemala in a major archaeological breakthrough.

Laser technology was used to survey digitally beneath the forest canopy, revealing houses, palaces, elevated highways, and defensive fortifications.

The landscape, near already-known Maya cities, is thought to have been home to millions more people than other research had previously suggested.

The researchers mapped over 810 square miles (2,100 sq km) in northern Peten.

Archaeologists believe the cutting-edge technology will change the way the world will see the Maya civilisation.

So science is confirming the "high counters."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
also I need suggestions for next month

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Book is good. Distinct lack of bear loving, but good.

Tisquantum got fuckkkkkkkked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

also I need suggestions for next month

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

It's $3 on Kindle right now.

quote:

At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended.

Henry's fight against self-doubt threatens to ruin his future. College president Guert Affenlight, a longtime bachelor, has fallen unexpectedly and helplessly in love. Owen Dunne, Henry's gay roommate and teammate, becomes caught up in a dangerous affair. Mike Schwartz, the Harpooners' team captain and Henry's best friend, realizes he has guided Henry's career at the expense of his own. And Pella Affenlight, Guert's daughter, returns to Westish after escaping an ill-fated marriage, determined to start a new life.

It's about a baseball prodigy who loses his ability to play, and is in danger of losing his scholarship at Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, who's team is named The Harpooners, in honour of Herman Melville. One of the plot-lines involves a man who's lived his entire life as heterosexual coming out for the first time.

So, it's a book all about the artistry of baseball, but doesn't require baseball knowledge, making it fun and appropriate during baseball season. It's literary without being insular. It has LGBQT+ plotlines and themes around Pride month. It's all about exploring talent, creativity, masculinity, depression, and existential dread. It's well-written and gripping.

All-around great book.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, I was hoping for more discussion but I'm assuming everyone is just sortof responding with stunned silence.

My favorite section overall is probably the one about how the entire Amazon isn't a wild forest: it's a planted orchard.

Yah. Humans get everywhere and meddle with everything. Of loving course they did so in the Americas before Columbus, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That sections blew my mind. I've always thought of the Amazon as untouched forest, not a post-apocalyptic wilderness. I also liked how pedantic Mann was about the definition of the Amazon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alhazred posted:

That sections blew my mind. I've always thought of the Amazon as untouched forest, not a post-apocalyptic wilderness. I also liked how pedantic Mann was about the definition of the Amazon.

Yep.

I pretty much knew already about the scale of pre-contact societies in Mesoamerica and the Andes but the Amazon stuff was new to me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

finished the book yesterday. to be brief, the overall historical view it presents, that the americas were much more populous and "civilized" than i was ever taught, is interesting. but i was much more fascinated to learn about the specific aspects that were alien to me (the lack of wheels for labor, former rulers still retaining their wealth after death) or seemed incredible (the domestication of maize, the fertility of milpas). call it a personal flaw, but i found it difficult to recall the successions of leaders when there was this other stuff to consider.

overall i enjoyed reading it and think i'd like to read more about south american cultures specifically.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mann also does a good job of dismantling the myth that the spaniards didn't conquer the incas and aztecs because of superior tech but that a series of unfortunate events lead to their downfall.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, it's crazy and humbling and sad to realize that the experience of Native Americans post 1492 was basically a survival horror movie that lasted for generations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, it's crazy and humbling and sad to realize that the experience of Native Americans post 1492 was basically a survival horror movie that lasted for generations.

That's very much it. If anyone is looking for a good book focused on the Native American experience in colonial Eastern North America, I highly recommend checking out Facing East From Indian Country.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Popping in to say that 1491 is also held in pretty good regard by every archaeologists I have talked to about it.

Though that LiDAR article is often reviled.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

That's very much it. If anyone is looking for a good book focused on the Native American experience in colonial Eastern North America, I highly recommend checking out Facing East From Indian Country.

The same guy's Before the Revolution is pretty aces too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also pretty interesting to see some detail about how some other areas weren't overwhelmed by European settlers until a great deal later; like New England where the combination of epidemics and other unfortunate sequences of events among the natives with the influx of settlers who had the numbers and organizational capability to exploit the situation happened over 100 years after the fall of the Mesoamerican and Andean native civilizations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the North American and Central American experiences are fundamentally different, and it's probably closer to 250 years of split between them.

In Mexico especially, the Spanish managed to insert themselves at the top of an already established social order, which is why New Spain becomes successful so damned quickly. In Northeastern America a combination of local climate, and the disease based collapses having already happened before the colonists arrived, meant there was far less structure for Europeans to graft themselves onto (and far less wealth to rapidly extract by enslaving the indigenous population). They ultimately wind up constructing a new social order (admittedly one closely interlinked with the native inhabitants), which takes far longer to come together.

It should be noted though that all over the Americas organized resistance to colonial authority persists at least into the 18th century (arguably until today really), particularly in tropical areas where Europeans tend to have rather short life expectancy and many African slaves were imported (far more Africans were important to Central and South America than ever reached the United States). European authority was super tenuous, loads of enslaved peoples fled into the hinterland, and you have mixed Indigenous-African communities openly operating in defiance to any central government. 1493 goes into this in detail; one takeaway is that using imported military POWs as slave labour is a great way to have well organized slave revolts.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

1493 goes into this in detail; one takeaway is that using imported military POWs as slave labour is a great way to have well organized slave revolts.

Funny, that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

"The slaves are revolting again"
"Quick, import more slaves!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

"The slaves are revolting again"
"Quick, import more slaves!"

"Obviously we need more torture and murder to prevent another uprising!"

*more torture and murder* *another revolt*

"WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I really enjoyed this; thanks for picking it and prodding me to finally read it. I was expecting a history book, not a book of historiography, and I'm not American so retelling the Thanksgiving story didn't have the impact it might have done for some readers, but it was so fascinating I read it in a weekend. In general the really fascinating story, to me, was how profound the mistakes of earlier researchers were. What Mann calls "Holmberg's Mistake" is an easy trap that really leads you astray, but it's great to be reminded of it so forcefully, when the implications are so vast.

The discussion on how the tribes who met the English used and manipulated them for their own ends was really interesting, and I'm not surprised so many Europeans tried to join them... It sounds like a great setup for a game. The details of how the Inka absorbed the Chincha made an intriguing story, plus the mummified dead considered to be alive and still owning all their possessions... I didn't previously have much interest in the "Aztecs" but the poetry Mann quotes was lovely, and the vision of an entire quarter or world civilisation surviving only in scraps here and there was incredibly touching. The most intriguing part might just have been the story of the jungle gardens of the Amazon and terra preta changing the entire area people lived in.

The discussion of when and how Indians arrived in the Americas was interesting, but I don't have much to say about it. Same with the disease; I think I must have picked up some of the book's ideas by osmosis (serves me right for taking years to read it), but I'm pretty sure Bernard DeVoto mentioned De Soto's pigs in the 50s.

There's so much here and so fascinating. Anyone know a good recent history book about the Americas before Columbus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i finally read this and its overall good but its avowedly apologetic stance really inhibits the quality of the scholarship and writing. like mann is clearly insanely uncomfortable with the fact of human sacrifice in the americas. he mentions it in passing, what, twice? and both times quickly goes on to excuse it by comparing it to public executions in europe. "the other guys did [something vaguely similar] too" is not a very useful heuristic, and the fact that he never treats the subject in depth because it might make us think badly of the aztecs prevents us from engaging with or learning at all about a practice that was central to the religions of entire cultures.

e: it's also extremely patronizing to the reader, because if you thought we were smart grownups you'd give us the facts and trust that we could handle them like big boys, rather than completely eliding a subject because you're afraid it'll make us think bad thoughts. if you can't do that, then what you've produced is apologia - propaganda - not even pop-scholarship.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 12, 2019