Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
OK, I've had no responses asking for people with experience here, so I'll start a more comprehensive thread with what I've learned so far to at least spark a conversation and discuss viability for those of us looking for a 'side hustle' or new career path.

My original post:

quote:

I've been getting sucked into these SMMA (Social Media Marketing Agency) and lead generation training ads on Facebook.

I'm curious if anyone here has taken the plunge and has experience trying to run one of these small agencies? The overhead seems low, you don't need a staff in the beginning, so it certainly sounds like an interesting small business model but I'm a pretty slow to act type person. Yeah, they all have testimonials for days but I'd like to bend the ear of someone not on the payroll for one of those courses and I think the rest of the crew here could benefit from a conversation.

What is SMMA? A Social Media Marketing Agency is essentially at its core, a small company or individual who manages social media and operates marketing efforts and most importantly social media ad's for companies to generate leads and customers for a given business in exchange for fees. Sometimes these fees are per lead, but most times they seem to be on a 'retainer', recurring monthly basis.

Here is a decent article diving into an intro the business: https://medium.com/swlh/the-lucrative-underground-world-of-smma-6ff105cfd8ad

I just purchased my first couple courses, I will try to update with my part time experiences as I learn and try to test the water so to speak.

Krono99 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Everything about the description, the wording of the article, the payment of courses, etc makes me nearly 100% sure it’s a scam or pyramid scheme without further research.

Best case it’s a repackaged “we will teach you how to get rich flipping houses” for social media

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that sounds sketch. What I will tell you from the last three years of my career is that there's good money in selling leads to automotive dealerships. Autotrader.com, dealer.com, kbb.com all do this. There's a lot of middlemen though.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
So I've run into someone in an SMMA Facebook group in my vicinity (St. Louis Metro Area) who is in the 'Real Estate' niche, meaning he provides lead generation to local Real Estate agents. He says he just broke the 10K mark in monthly retainers (meaning personal income above and beyond the ad-spend) and has gone from zero to 10K now in less than 5 months. Looking forward to learning more from him in the coming weeks.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Interested in this too. There seems to be a shitload of "marketing about marketing" where people sell you a course that teaches you how to sell a marketing course. That's obviously bull, but at the same time there's obviously money being made here. Part of my work has me interacting with people and seeing their finances, and some people are doing really well with this stuff,, either on the side or as their only gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Let's start a list of "industries" where the real industry is selling people on the industry, rather than actually making/doing anything

-Forex trading
-Anything related to YouTube
-Google AdSense
-Affiliate marketing
-For that matter, basically anything related to online marketing, digital nomadism, and online entrepreneurship
-eBooks
-self-help
-stuffing envelopes (this is an older one I guess)
-filling out online surveys