Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Problem description: I have 48gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM (DDR4, 3200mhz, 16x2 + 8x2) in an ASRock X470 Taichi motherboard, and my computer just plain refuses to boot if I enable XMP. It turns on just fine- proceeds to BIOS, fans spin, mobo + RGB + peripheral lights come on, and the windows logo appears... but then it freezes after a split second of attempting to boot. After this, it stays stuck this way until I reset the UEFI to default and get in long enough to launch in safe mode and attempt startup repair/do chkdsk. The computer will not run if my DRAM Frequency is at anything higher than 2133mhz. For reference, the 16x2 RAM is Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB, and the 8x2 RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX.

It just won't go any higher than these exact numbers or else the whole thing just craps out. The RGB on the RAM does not light up when the problem is occurring, if that helps.

Attempted fixes:
- Memtest to check if the sticks themselves are defective (they are not)
- Checked if the slots on the motherboard are defective (they do not seem to be, any RAM works in them, just not with XMP enabled)
- Updated motherboard firmware to latest (I heard Ryzen systems have a hard time getting RAM to run at advertised speeds on old BIOS, did not help)

Recent changes: The Vengeance Pro RAM is brand new but other than that this PC has never been able to successfully run with XMP since I built it.

--

Operating system: Win 10 x64

System specs:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Never mind, I was unaware that they have to be the same size/model for it to work properly. I thought only the speed/manufacturer had to match. Taking the LPX (8x2) out and leaving just the Pro (16x2) worked fine. As I said, the Vengeance PRO is new and the LPX is old so I figured I could just mix and match, but it didn't like the combination.

It's working now!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 4, 2019