Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

it sucks, op

e: oh sorry, I thought the question was about your posting. ottawa's a pretty ok town i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
je ne compreds pas le francais

je suis le baise anglais exclusivement

tabarnak

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's great because you basically said "I'm the hosed english".

Fais-toi en pas avec ça, l'gros!

flakeloaf posted:

QS pour tout le monde

Ça, avec zéro ironie.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’ve never lived there but visited a bunch and Ottawa is really nice. It’s sleepy but still fun. And it’s the only really dense urban area that is affordable in the garbage province of Ontario.

If I ever have the misfortune of returning I’d live in Ottawa only probs.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

My grandparents used to live in Ottawa so we would visit every now and then. Its an astoundingly boring city. I think its the only time I've been able to stand on a street downtown and not see a single other person in sight, it was honestly an eerie feeling. From what I've heard and my experiences visiting I would say Montreal and Quebec City are nicer and more interesting.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I remember the manx being very lively and fun for an Ottawa bar.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Ottawa has lots of great bars. I can't imagine how any city with a million people wouldn't?

There are 10-15 bars in my walking area that are a good time any night. I really don't have a clue how people could think Ottawa isn't fun. Sure, maybe if you're an ugly, fat, straight edge troglodyte?

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
come here for the shawarma

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Hahahaha! Holy poo poo!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
j'aime bien QS, mais depuis que Amir et Françoise sont partis, j'ai peur que ce soit rendu une gauche performative qui se sabotera over and over again sans jamais vraiment parler de ce que la majorité des matantes québecoises veulent entendre parler. Juste a regarder comment Catherine Dorion se pointe et jase pour voir que c'est pas super intéressant sur le fond ce qui se passe.

L'une des dernières conférences dans laquelle Amir a participé était une catastrophe. Des anglaises de Westmount (la porte parole du groupe était la femme d'un recteur d'université alors on parle de monde qui vivent dans le gros cash) ont demandées a Amir de s'excuser au nom des francophones pour avoir fait de leur immersion en français quelque chose de plus difficile parce que, en gros, on parle pas assez anglais.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

drunkb posted:

Hahahaha! Holy poo poo!

C'est badass en esti ça man.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am loving Odddzy's Quebecois even though I can't understand half of it

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My family settled the Aylmer area after leaving the US during the revolution. Pink Lake is named after them. They then left Quebec in the 60s for BC and it was the best decision of all time.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

mikerock posted:

I am loving Odddzy's Quebecois even though I can't understand half of it

Yo les boys, j'ai une bonne série a vous faire écouter sur Netflix. Checkez "Série Noire", c'est hot en maudit pis y'a des sous-titres. J'pense que tout le monde qui l'a essayé a qui j'en ai parlé ont trippés ben raide. C'était loving solide comme show. REDAMPTION.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My great uncle chased the Language Police off the farm with a shotgun after they kept trying to force them to change the farm's name from the family name of Pink to the French word for the colour, "Rose."

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Check l'autre esti d'tête carrée qui nous fait chier avec la business de son bonhomme!
Hey, c'est chez nous icitte!

Odddzy posted:

j'aime bien QS, mais depuis que Amir et Françoise sont partis, j'ai peur que ce soit rendu une gauche performative qui se sabotera over and over again sans jamais vraiment parler de ce que la majorité des matantes québecoises veulent entendre parler. Juste a regarder comment Catherine Dorion se pointe et jase pour voir que c'est pas super intéressant sur le fond ce qui se passe.

J'aimerais bien dire le contraire, mais je peux pas.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Odddzy posted:

Yo les boys, j'ai une bonne série a vous faire écouter sur Netflix. Checkez "Série Noire", c'est hot en maudit pis y'a des sous-titres. J'pense que tout le monde qui l'a essayé a qui j'en ai parlé ont trippés ben raide. C'était loving solide comme show. REDAMPTION.

Je savais pas qu'avait des series québécoises sur Netflix. Bon à savoir.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Few things are as disorienting in watching a show in one language, subtitled in a different language, when you speak them both.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think you are supposed to watch anglaisme subbed, otherwise you might not get subtle cultural cues.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randarkman posted:

Unrelated to Ottawa. Some years back I spent about 6 months living in Canada, Saskatoon to be exact. I remember sometimes people speaking about French Canadians and the general sentiment seems to be that they are assholes. Anyways I was wondering do French Canadians not speak English in general or are they just assholes?

Knew a guy who spoke english and they were really rude until they found out he was american and they were much nicer. They really hate anglo canadians apparently

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Knew a guy who spoke english and they were really rude until they found out he was american and they were much nicer. They really hate anglo canadians apparently

Anglo's, when I read english-canadian message boards, are kind of hateful towards Franco-Canadians.

A lot of stories i've been told by my grandparents are that english and francophones didn't mix back in the day. And if there were french or latin classes, anglos would take latin as they wanted nothing to do with our culture.

Another historical fact is that during the nineties, the most violent city in Canada was Gatineau because bars in quebec would close later than the rest of Canada. so at midnight the ottawa partiers would cross the bridge and bar hop on this side of the region and get wasted until three and both "sides" would fight every night.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
Ou sont les salopes???

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Odddzy posted:

people when I read internet message boards, are kind of hateful towards people who are different in any way

there we go

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

There's a lot of anti-Québec (more than anti-franco IMHO) in the Rest Of Canada, and there's a lot of québécois that have a strong disdain of anglo-canadians and Canada itself.
It's pretty much always been there, I mean the english took the place from the french, then there was the war of the Patriotes, we had the build up to the Quiet Revolution/October Crisis and all the bombings and kidnappings etc... French were an underclass in Québec until we got tired of getting shat on by oppressive anglo bosses who owned everything (we also got rid of the church for similar reasons).
The anglos always saw the idea of separation as a rejection of them (with some fearing for their safety in case of a Yes vote!) while it's more of an affirmation of our own people than a rejection of yours. Genre. It's not you, it's me!

You don't come across it in the city as much as the Rest of Québec, but the mainstream media on both sides play it up needlessly.
The canadian press can be pretty brutal/tinfoil regarding Québec, Québec has its own Fox's, Rush Limbaugh's etc. too. :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Anglo's, when I read english-canadian message boards, are kind of hateful towards Franco-Canadians.

A lot of stories i've been told by my grandparents are that english and francophones didn't mix back in the day. And if there were french or latin classes, anglos would take latin as they wanted nothing to do with our culture.

Another historical fact is that during the nineties, the most violent city in Canada was Gatineau because bars in quebec would close later than the rest of Canada. so at midnight the ottawa partiers would cross the bridge and bar hop on this side of the region and get wasted until three and both "sides" would fight every night.

My maternal grandfather is a one eyed Québécois from Gatineau. He has a glass eye because he lost one in an ice skating accident. One day I asked him what he did for fun when he was in his 20s and he got this wistful twinkle in his eye I’d never seen before or since. “I used to go and tease de Aylmer boys wit a baseball bat.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeXReX posted:

Are there otters?

its called otterwa for a reason

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

its p bad but not as bad as other places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dr.acula posted: