Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Blistex posted:

:stare: How many people did that loving brilliant move kill?

At least one person, it's how the story got so well known.

What a terrible way to die, serving in Iraq and electrocuted naked in the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, at least one guy got cooked. Lots of people got tickled. I don't know that numbers were well kept on contractor negligence like that, especially in a war zone.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, at least one guy got cooked. Lots of people got tickled. I don't know that numbers were well kept on contractor negligence like that, especially in a war zone.

At least 4 death's it seems and who knows how many more were severely injured and burned.
Apologies for the CNN link.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/05/28/soldier.electrocutions/index.html

quote:

KBR noted "several safety issues concerning the improper grounding of electrical devices." But KBR's contract did not cover "fixing potential hazards." It covered repairing items only after they broke down.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Those numbers are kept next to the hundreds of billions of missing Iraq war dollars that the pentagon can't account for

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Bananana posted:

Can a carpenter break the errors in this image down into a funny for us please?

Good
/\
I I

Grover
/\
I I

There is no visible support preventing the two walls pictured in my ASCII diagram from leaning apart at the top.
___
\ /

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
won't you recant the tale of grover's hidden junction box, dad?

The Bananana posted:

Can a carpenter break the errors in this image down into a funny for us please?

i got my carpentry merit badge, allow me~

i guess the only thing to add is that grover's haus will never look like that last figure, but the roofing can (and probably will) flatten very slightly and gradually until it puts too much strain on the duct tape grover used to connect the roofing and walls. at that point, it will just collapse and kill someone. a really heavy snowfall could probably collapse it, but idk. basically you want trusses b/c otherwise you're daring your lovely craftsmanship to kill you.

like, i'm no expert, but up-to-code roofs should hold themselves together, and the roof should just sit on top of a stable base. Grover thought that the roof and load-bearing drywall was just one big shape, so now he's relying on the purely vertical walls of the house to support a lot more weight, and at a much more stressful angle, than they should.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Opferwurst posted:

Apparently these things were on the market in parts of Europe all the way up to the 80s.

ixaer 110V Electric Instant Hot Water Shower Head Heater + FREE Plastic Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2RDYT3/

Also, https://youtu.be/06w3-l1AzFk

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Someone for ms the groverhaus sesame Street gif

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Blistex posted:

This has to be fake. The fact that the home is obviously not built out of mud and twigs indicates that they must have some concept of electricity and why this is quite possibly the most dangerous shower on earth.

It's water cooling you idiot, look it up sometime!!!! :downs:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Opferwurst posted:

Apparently these things were on the market in parts of Europe all the way up to the 80s. They were sane versions though that had isolated heating elements and all kinds of fail safes for protection. IRC the piece of poo poo in the picture is just a cheap piece of plastic where water runs over a live heating element. It's literally just a live mains wire bend into a coil.

These fuckers are all over Latin America, at least in areas where it gets cold.

I used a few and the bad ones will literally zap you every time you touch the metal faucet. You just learn to do it quickly.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I think about that house built on a huge pit of snakes from time to time. Most modern homes these days are ugly as sin, but I guess that's what people want. That snake house, as I recall, was normal looking. Aside from the snakes.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

This has to be fake. The fact that the home is obviously not built out of mud and twigs indicates that they must have some concept of electricity and why this is quite possibly the most dangerous shower on earth.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

No, have y'all seen that thing they do somewhere in South America to heat up the shower water? It's like electricity right in the shower head or something. But since everyone knows how to use it, it's fine. :sun:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Blistex posted:

Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope!

I genuinely immediately pictured some sort of Hitman "accident" shenanigans, with 47 dressed as an unlicensed electrician when he set it up.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I genuinely immediately pictured some sort of Hitman "accident" shenanigans, with 47 dressed as an unlicensed electrician when he set it up.

That's the guy! :supaburn:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
2006 was 13 years ago. When Grover started his thread the PS3 had just come out, Disney had narrowly avoided losing Pixar, people were still displaced by Hurricane Katrina, and Dick Cheney had shot a man while hunting. Grover built his house in a world without a Marvel Cinematic Universe and where MySpace was still a thing, without smartphones or Netflix streaming, when incandescent light bulbs were still the default choice. If a child was born on the day the original groverhaus thread was posted they would be starting high school now.

And yet even with so much time and change and growth and loss, all it takes is the phrase "load-bearing drywall" to lift the cloak of ages and bring uproarious guffaws as if it were a joke being told for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

2006 was 13 years ago. When Grover started his thread the PS3 had just come out, Disney had narrowly avoided losing Pixar, people were still displaced by Hurricane Katrina, and Dick Cheney had shot a man while hunting. Grover built his house in a world without a Marvel Cinematic Universe and where MySpace was still a thing, without smartphones or Netflix streaming, when incandescent light bulbs were still the default choice. If a child was born on the day the original groverhaus thread was posted they would be starting high school now.

And yet even with so much time and change and growth and loss, all it takes is the phrase "load-bearing drywall" to lift the cloak of ages and bring uproarious guffaws as if it were a joke being told for the first time.

Because the house is totally hosed up. There is nothing sound about it, and there is always something new and terrible to learn about it. It's like scab you can pick at forever.