Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

quote:

die verb
\ ˈdī \
1: to pass from physical life :
2: to pass out of existence :
3: to disappear or subside gradually —often used with away, down, or out

die noun
\ ˈdī \
1 a small cube marked on each face and used in various games —often used figuratively in expressions concerning chance or the irrevocability of a course of action
2 any of various tools or devices for imparting a desired shape, form, or finish to a material or for impressing an object or material.

Die is a world consisting of 20 equal-sized triangular planes.Each of these regions is as similar or as different from its neighbor as the wizard-god Master of it decides. Middle-Earth may border Arrakis on one side, Eärwa on another, and Melniboné on the third. Or at least versions of them. You see, Masters (be they Overlords or Crazy Hermits) are not divine beings. They are flawed, cruel, lazy, depressed, human. That is reflected in their worlds.

DIE is a fantasy-horror comic written by Kieron Gillen and illustrated of Stephanie Hans. It is about six friends who get together one night to play a RPG game and vanish. Two years later five of them reappear and refuse to explain where they were or what happened to the sixth member of their party. Twenty-five years later, he sends them a message.

DIE is a RPG about a group of people getting together to play a game. Perhaps they are close friends who are just tired of DnD. Maybe they are old college friends who haven’t seen each other since Nick and Jessie slept together and made everything weird. Maybe they are coworkers forced to game to create a “ unified creative synergy”. Maybe they are all strangers who showed up to the same Con gaming night. No matter the group dynamic, they find themselves transported from their mundane lives to a fantasy world. In this fantasy world, they have adventures and try to find their way home – or not.

Right now the game is in Beta, but the rules are simple and the setting is fun. And we’re going to take a swing at it. If you are interested in playing, keep reading. The game is best run with 3-4 players and a GM. If there are significantly more people interested, that that (say like 8 or more) I can run two games or find a way to narrow stuff down. Maybe even someone else would be down to run a game because, unlike other games, in this one the GM makes a character too.

Before we go further, some quick vocab.

Persona - “You”, for all intents. A real person and member a social group in the real world, complete with rivalries, passions and bitterness. This is who you will play in the game. Maddi the ACLU lawyer. Sometimes, Maddi will also by Myrun the Shieldmaiden, but she’s still Maddi deep down.

Character - Each persona generates a fantasy roleplaying character. DIE has specific classes, but they are all (loosely) based on standard DnD roles. The character can be a reflection or extension of a persona, or it can be their opposite and everything they want to be, or hate about themselves.

First, before any characters are made, we need to figure out what kind of game we want to run here. The game rewards messy flawed people with real needs. Because of this it sometimes gets uncomfortably real. So, we need to be open and honest with each other first. Answer the following and please read other’s answers to the following:

1. What do you like to do in a role-playing game. What sorts of abilities do you want?. Fight? Spellcast ? Both? Neither? Is there a character from fiction you like to riff on? “I'm up for whatever” is also a perfectly good answer. Be honest now. Because while you may want to be The Prince of Thrones, your persona might hate that idea.

2. What tone should we be going for here? DIE basically has two natural poles – on one side, adventure and on the other, horror. How much do you want this to be a game about a character’s emotions versus their exploits? If this was a movie, what rating would it have? What genre might it be?

3. What themes should the game have? This is to make sure people are fine with them and can delineate their boundaries.With the setup of the Beta, the game may ikely include issues from childhood – any limits there? The classes too lend themselves to certain themes. For example one can have themes of addiction, another themes of consent. Does anyone have any boundaries there? The Beta rules suggest using an X-card. I don’t know the best way to do that in PbP, so I want to address big ideas that might make people uncomfortable here. Respect people’s choices. Say your own.

4. Finally, who are these people? What connects them? We know they are a group of adults who were friends when they were young, who find themselves gathered together years later, but that’s it. Everything else is up to us.

I will be putting my own answers on here tomorrow. If you have questions post them here, DM me, or send me a Discord message. I’m on the Trad Games server, or just send something to NinjaPete #9900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
So even though there hasn't been any posts here, there have been some tenative PMs of people interested, and asking some questions. So I'll post my responses and then try to clarify things.

1. What do you like to do in a role-playing game

Actual classes and abilities tend to not matter to me. I do shy away from spellcasters to any class that is super crunchy or requires a lot of book keeping. I'm the guy who is happy being a fighter (assuming the Fighter actually has a high damage output and it's just there to take hits). Whenever I am able to be a PC and not a GM I tend to favor characters who are in periods of uncomfortable transition. A foppish womanizing duelist turned killer-for-hire. A bandit leader becoming a paladin in an attempt to reform. A Prince Hal type thrust onto the Throne. Not outsiders, but people who are forced into roles against their nature.

2. What tone should we be going for here?

The comic certainly appeals to me because it takes a lot of fantasy tropes and runs them through the minds of depressed 40 year olds. So I'd like to avoid a straight up swashbuckling adventure. Maybe that is what our personas think will happen, but reality intrudes. Expecting The Once and Future King and getting A Game of Thrones. As a GM I also tend to use what one of my players termed an "Ecology of Assholes". It consists of dropping the PCs into a situation with two or more competing sides, none of which were particularly savory or “good.” (Think Yojimbo or A Fistful of Dollars) It is up to the PCs to determine which side (if any) was better to support, and choices should always have both positive and negative consequences that lead to further stories

3. What themes should the game have?
I am for the most part okay with anything. I would certainly like to avoid death of young children. As a father of a 3 year old, it's a little too much for me to do for "fun". Sexual assault also seems like it would be too much for a pick up game as well. In general I think we can deal with reality, but we don't need to get dark. Unless everyone is okay with it.

4. Finally, who are these people?
I like the idea of high school friends getting together after college years. Basically they were super close 5 or 6 years ago, they went their separate ways, grew as people, and now are back together. Right after college you are on this threshold that is sort of unexpected. Maybe they all find themselves in their hometown together over the summer before they go and get "real jobs". Who has changed? Who is the same? Who is the most successful? Is anyone still a dirtbag townie?

Okay, here are some of the questions/comments I've gotten about this.

I've never read the comic, so I don't think I can join.

You certainly can. You don't need to know anything about the comic or setting before playing. If you want though, the comic's frist TPB is out, and you can totally grab it.

Why didn't you just let us make characters and just tell us the setting/tone/etc?

I debated that, but the rules suggest getting player input as much as possible. And since this is a beta game, I wanted to hear other concepts and ideas other than mine to see what the game is capable of.

I have no idea what the rules are.

I left them out so as to not spoil stuff, and also because we didn't need to reference them at this point. But, I realize now that it's hard to want to play a game that is just an abstraction. So, Here are the Beta rules. They are simple PDFs with some gorgeous art by Stephanie Hans.

I want to play <character class>, can I dibs?

Nope. You can certainly request, but one of the things about DIE is the disconnect between your persona and your persona's character. I'll certainly try to accommodate people, but it's ultimately up to what my Persona thinks is the best fit for you. Speaking of which, here is a quick description of the classes.

Neo - Cyberpunk Rogue. Neo's ability are gifts from the Fair folk (Elves by way of Gibson and Geiger). These powers are fueled by Fair gold, which vanishes every morning and must be refueled. Most murderhobos like gold and are thieves, but Neos need gold. They are addicts.

Dictator - Bastard Bards. You watch a sad movie and you cry. You listen to music and you get goose bumps and a chill. Is that sinister, that someone just took over your emotions and made you feel what they wanted? Of course not...but what if it was? Dictators can play people's emotions like a fiddle. They can give commands that must be followed, even in death and decay. They can pluck heartstrings, or snap them.

Fool - Goddamnit Leeroy. Fool's rely on luck, swagger, and a bit of cheating the rules, to carry them through the day. They make the dumb choice, rush headlong into trouble without a plan, and act without considering the consequences. And their luck carries them through. But their luck doesn't help the party.

Emotion Knight - Not-Paladins. A member of one of the Eight Orders of Knights. The Knight is powered by feeling one particular emotion: ecstasy, admiration, terror, amazement, grief, loathing, vigilance or rage. When they feel their emotion , they can use power their sentient, arcane weapons.When consumed by their sacred sensation, they are warriors capable of miraculous feats. They can defeat anything, except their own emotions.

Godbinder - Atheist Clerics. The gods are tools. Useful tools. They aren't divine, just powerful. And the Godbinder can speak to them, can make deals and move the world in ways they can't. Instead of belief and worship, the Godbinder gets miracles through making deals, or threats. The Cleric as a Demonologist.

Master -IGNORE ME. The GM's class. A mage capable of rewriting reality in their own realm. But, often Masters are troubled teens or adults, not patient and wise old men. So their power is inaccurate, flawed, and messy. What could go wrong?

I hope this helps. Feel free to add or tweak any of my answers for your own. Once we get a sort of group consensus, we can start to make the actual Personas. And I will be giving out rules every step of the way, but feel free to check out the manual if you wanted.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Interest post; I've had the idea of playing a Dictator as a sort of pop star, but of course I'd have to see what other people were thinking of for characters.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I am most interested in exploration and experimentation. I am least interested in direct combat and prefer abilities which have uses outside of it.

Tragedy horror with sci-fantasy trappings. Fast and messy conflicts that create new problems.

I'd prefer a fade to black on heinous behavior rather than lingering on it.

Given they are reuniting after a hiatus of several years high school friends and/or siblings.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm very much a "play to find out what happens" type, so I like to have room to develop things as we play. I'm GMing 90% of the time, but the PCs I play tend to be about building things or being in support roles or built around defending others. Admittedly sometimes that does mean "kill the enemies before they can hurt my friends".

I'm more adventure than horror, but that's not to say I don't want horror. I tend to prefer horror that's more thematic and built-up than about gore or jump scares.

Hard to say; I tend to not deal with sexual themes in games I run, I know that, but I can't think of any real hard lines. Consent is important to me.

I think "high school group" makes sense. Maybe a school-approved "D&D club" that some students were in for no other reason beyond needing an after-school activity for credit and this seemed like an easy one.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I really enjoy versatility. Like, as a rule, if there's a generalist class I'll do that. I tend towards warrior and rogue types when they're good, but hack wizards into make the prior two work when they aren't. I like messy party dynamics and the emotion stuff looked pretty interesting when I skimmed the rules earlier.

Put me in the high adventure camp, typically, but I think there's room for the darker edges around the power fantasy. I think Exalted isn't a bad frame of reference for the blend. On the one hand, it's a kung-fu adventure madhouse. On the other, it can be a nuanced look at the cost of power and how it changes people.

I agree with the lines being drawn in prior answers. I think, fundamentally, I'd like a nuanced look at the whole fantasy/reality split that makes the actual struggle to choose meaningful. If everything is terrible, that steals the impact away from the narrative. Paint a flawed world, but one that ultimately offers a reason to want it. You can't have wish fulfillment without the fulfillment, right?

High school gaming group reunion sounds solid to me. There's a lot of rich space in exploring how leaving the group for years (or the subgroup that stayed together) changes things.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
So, let's sum up what we have so far. And through this entire Persona creation, you are able to go back and edit your answers, nothing is set in stone until we start the actual thread. We have 4 people interested, including myself, so that's a good core group to start with. Any lurkers are welcome to join in too if they get an itch.

It seems like all of our styles and interests are complementary and able to work together. Which I think will go a long way to helping with the next question.

It seems like, distilling our answers, we like the idea of a high fantasy that is obscuring some darker stuff. The horror comes from personal experiences and tension rather than gore gratuitous violence.

Again, nothing gratuitous. Get consent before anything truly heinous and fade to black rather than lingering on it. I think we like the idea of exploring the trauma of an event more than the actual event.

High school gaming group reunion sounds like the winner.

With that in mind let's flesh this out. Now we are

How did the personas’ old RPG group get together?
So, assuming we were all in the same grade (or within 2 of each other) how did we get together? There is really no correct or better answer than others to this. But it'll help us define our Personas and our relationships with each other. The Beta gives some ideas: Computer Club, Family Group, Drama Club, Garage Band’s Spare Activity, Detention Survivors, Football Team’s Guilty Secret, Girl Guides/Boy Scouts/Other Teenage Paramilitary Organisation, Church Group, Summer Camp, Just a Typical Bunch of Loveable Geeks

Thinking back to my own early gaming group experiences, I like the idea of a shared activity that kept us together long enough to game. Some of us might not even be really friends with each other outside of gaming group. Maybe we were some sort of Breakfast Club-type kids. We got in trouble, or had to sit in at like an After Three program to finish homework. If anyone has a better idea that this, please say something, or add to it. It's a really vague idea right now.

What was the RPG like?
  • What was the name of the world your game was set in?
  • What classes did people play?
  • Who GMed?

So, to stress this, our original RPG was not magical in anyway, just a normal game. Assuming we'd have played 5-10 years ago (depending on when our reunion is), what would we have done? Probably something basic like Pathfinder? Generic Fantasy I assume? I am guessing we'd probably make our own setting which would be a really badly done hodge-podge of other famous fantasy settings. We can get as deep into this as we want, but if anyone has a cool World name lying around, feel free to offer it up.

I'm going to call my Persona Will for now, might change it later though. I don't think Will needs to have been the GM, but i do like the idea that he is a little set apart from the others. Either the GM yeah, or else he was slightly older or younger than the others. He is part of the group, but they certainly were their own team without him at times.

If anyone else wants to claim being GM please do. If Will was a player he was a Sorcerer. Probably based on a Dragon Age Blood Mage, or WoW Warlock.

The game is happening because the personas are all together for a reason. What's the reason?

I have no idea for this one. The only thing I can think of, and this might be too cliche, but we had a 5th member who died, and we're playing this either because he asked us, or because in our young and stupid attempt to process grief, it's the best mourning we can think of.

That's all I got for this time. What are your guy's thoughts?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

How did the personas’ old RPG group get together?
Winona was put into an after school program due to truancy and joined the group because the alternative was crafts. Alternately if the games were in an unsupervised setting I could see her being roped into the group while babysitting a younger sibling/cousin.

What was the RPG like?
Pathfinder homebrew. Potentially with bleed-in from Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, the Star Wars prequels, etc. Alternating between "solving" major world problems with McGuffins like the Peace Gem, murderhobory that escalates into regicide, and questing for rare plants to ferment into alcohol.

What was the name of the world your game was set in? The Red Moon. The Verdant Reach.
What classes did people play? Barbarian, fighter, and/or swashbuckler. Died at least once, never fully read her character sheets.
Who GMed? Someone else.

The game is happening because the personas are all together for a reason. What's the reason?
A member of the group recently inherited a cabin and is using a ski/jet ski trip as pretext to reunite the gaming group.
A recent marriage or death would also work.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

What was the RPG like?
Pathfinder homebrew. Potentially with bleed-in from Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, the Star Wars prequels, etc. Alternating between "solving" major world problems with McGuffins like the Peace Gem, murderhobory that escalates into regicide, and questing for rare plants to ferment into alcohol.

What was the name of the world your game was set in? The Red Moon. The Verdant Reach.

I just have to say I really like these. Yeah, we're going to fix things that piss us off about the real world by fixing them in-game, but we're still kinda jerkish kids who think making moonshine is cool.

I also like Red Moon. It's a nice short hand for "something about this setting is off" it's not a straight generic fantasy setting, the moon is blood red, so it's a little, literally, darker. It makes me think of a setting like Lies of Lock Lamora or Prince of Thorns where it's this fantasy kingdom built on the ancient bones of some super advanced civilization. So there are artifacts that are like titanium swords that are impossible to make and treated as magic items.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 11, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd imagine there was a good amount of tension between the people who were trying to use the setting of Red Moon to Tell An Important Story (like the GM) and the ones who were there just to kill orcs or because they didn't have an option.

Tony, for example, was there because he needed an after-school credit. He started out as That Guy; not paying attention, killing NPCs, playing the Lesbian Stripper Ninja, the whole nine yards. After a few months, though, he started getting more into the game and caring about what was going on. After school ended he tried to get into more games but couldn't find a good group and sort of fell out of the hobby for the most part. He'd check /r/rpg or get a book or two for reading, but that was about it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I definitely dig that tension and I like Red Moon for the setting name.

I figure that Sofia would have been on the side of would-be important storytelling, though she was pretty mousy and it was easy for the other players to rope her into Murderhobo Distillery adventures. Her deal was that she lived out of the bussing zone, but couldn't get a ride home until her dad got off work and picked her up. It was basically down to the after-school game club or some sort of sport and, well, she was bookish. I think Sofia kept in the hobby when she went off to college, but hasn't played the Pathfinder-alike since. Much more in the indie and narrative gaming space.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Cool, so we've got a group who appears to have gotten together originally purely by chance. There was certainly some tension between those who wanted to tell an Important Story, and those who just wanted to goof off. Since we were doing this in the context of a school activity the DM (who I do think was Will) couldn't just kick people out. Despite ocassionally pissing each other off, we got to be close enough that it makes sense for us to get together years later.

We've gotten back together because one of us has inherited a cabin and, for whatever reason, invites the rest of us. If anyone wants to claim the cabin as theirs in the next update perfect, otherwise it'll be Will's.

Now, even though we have some idea of our personas, we need to get a more fleshed out idea. Has anyone got an idea of what sort of kid their persona was? If so, tell us a bit about them.

What was your best subject? Your worst? How smart were you?
    Were you bullied?
    Were your parents divorced?
    What did you think you'd be when you grew up?
    Did you have any hobbies? Music?
    What did you hate about yourself?

Will liked to tell himself that he would succeed at anything he applied himself to, the issue was he just didn't apply himself. He was happily a straight C student with the exception of Arts and Music classes. He found himself able to focus on those more than any other. Those classes, along with DnD Club, gave him an excuse to avoid going home. Not that his parents were abusive, just demanding. They were both highly trained white-collar folk, and were not sympathetic they raised such a "lazy" son. Of course it's not laziness (or so Will told himself), he just is, according to his counselor, afraid of failing.

Will was a pretty big gamer, to the point that he had some vague idea of being a game art designer when he grew up. But he never committed to doing the research on it. That's the one thing Will hated about himself, deep down, he knew he was a coward.

Are you related to any of the personas?
    Who was your best friend? How did you meet? How did they hurt you?
    Who were you most jealous of?
    Were you in love with anyone? Lust?

If we're just talking about Will's perspective here, he probably was hopelessly in love with Sofia. The two of them would talk about the Story and Setting more than the others and Will read this creative connection as something deeper. He naturally didn't do anything about this or say anything (but honestly Sofia probably picked up on him being skeevy). When she went off to college Will took it as a betrayal, a breaking up of what he had started to see as a partnership.

Will started off hating Tony, seeing him as a "dumb jock" (even if Tony didn't actually play sports). And Tony's frivolous attitude to the game didn't help. But when Tony started to come around, Will welcomed him as another person to talk to.

Winona was probably the perennial audience for Will. Whether or not she was ever impressed or gave a poo poo about the Red Moon setting or Will's "dramatic" storytelling, Will would try to surprise her with twists and turns. Or at least force her to do some story before letting her mow down mooks.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Were you bullied?

Winona excelled at shop classes and anything hands on. She formed an appreciation for physics once the teacher allowed them to build a catapult and eventually joined the robotics club despite the risk of being called a nerd. Win barely avoided flunking most of her English and math classes as they felt too dry and she always got distracted. Winona thought she was pretty average aside from the ADHD. She was bullied for her weight back in middle school. In high school she dealt with it by embracing the role of class clown. Win's father died on deployment when she was still a toddler. Afterwards her mom moved back in with their grandparents on the farm. Winona wanted to stay on at the farm but her family had to sell it. Her fallback was working as a machinist, but that only lasted a few years until they started downsizing. After that she drove off to LA and made ends meet as a driver and delivery person for a cornucopia of phone app services. Win still messes around with robotics as a hobbyist when she finds the time. She was in a band as a drummer for nearly a year but they never played any gigs. Winona hates her physical appearance. She took up bulimia and smoking in high school but never lost any weight.

Are you related to any of the personas?
    Who was your best friend? How did you meet? How did they hurt you?

I'm very open to Win being related to another member of the group if their back stories can mesh sufficiently. I'm not sure who her best friend would be, would any of the other personas be in the robotics club? Winona is most envious of people who are conventionally attractive and/or popular. Win crushed on a jock for a couple years but after they made out someone started a rumor about her being a slut. She assumed the jock had started the rumor as they'd been discreet, so she took revenge by hiding rotten eggs in their car. They haven't talked since then. I'm open to any of the above roles being held by personas and massaging the story as necessary.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
In the interest of trying to get to the actual game. Here is our last set to consider. You don't need to answer all of these questions, but you should at least think about them.

• What do you do now? Do you enjoy it?
  • Are you married? Divorced? Multiple divorces? If so, who to?
  • Do you have kids? Did you want kids?
  • Have you been seriously ill?
  • Has anyone you loved died?
  • How do you think about your teenage
  • years? How do you think about your
  • time playing RPGs?
  • Do you keep in contact with any of the friends? If so, who?
  • If someone makes a movie of this game, which actor plays your persona?

And finally, this is the big one:

quote:

“Why does your persona hate their life?”

Looking at this I get the idea that Will never lived up to his potential. He slowly has been losing people one by one, nothing truamtic, just people vanishing from his life as he stands stangnent.

I'll probably post something more in-depth later today and then, assuming you three all post, will start the thread proper tomorrow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What age bracket are we thinking of for the personas? I'm just asking so I know how to frame some of my answers. We're at least post-college, right?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Evil Mastermind posted:

What age bracket are we thinking of for the personas? I'm just asking so I know how to frame some of my answers. We're at least post-college, right?

Yeah. Say mid to late 20s?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia excelled at English, did fairly well in Math and Social Studies, and was consistently on the D+/C- line for whatever Science class she had. Overall she's got a pretty intuitive understanding of most things, but didn't really have the study skills to deal with things like Chemistry when it didn't make sense.

Were you bullied?

A little, but more in the passive social estrangement sense. She probably figured it was her fault for not being assertive enough to join social groups, but the default friend group of the game club was probably a significant chunk of her social life.

Sofia hasn't really ever gotten the whys and hows out of her dad, but yeah. Her mom took off when she was little.

Astronaut. Pity about the whole science thing, huh?

I think Sofia probably focused in on something like photography. Maybe had a rough darkroom setup in her closet. Probably used a tremendously beat up old camera she got at a yard sale or something.

Sofia hated (and, honestly, still hates) that she's not great at asserting herself. She wants to be someone who can navigate social events with as much finesse as she can write an article, but her attempts to force it have never ended well.

Sofia really envied how well Winona seemed to navigate the politics of school, whether or not that was actually the case, and had so many people that she'd hang out with.

Hmm, I feel like there may have been a crush on Tony back in the club days, but Sofia wouldn't have done anything about it unless he was really signaling it was mutual. Possibly with neon signs.

What do you do now? Do you enjoy it?

She's got a gig as a writer for a paper in the nearby bigger city. She doesn't hate it, but I think that she's still working on a novel in her spare time and hoping that she can make it big with that.

Are you married? Divorced? Multiple divorces? If so, who to?

She's quasi-happily single.

Do you have kids? Did you want kids?

I don't think so, for either question. Sofia's not someone super focused on her career, but I see her as someone who has grown into a strong sense of what she wants to be doing at any given moment. Being a caretaker of any sort, past something more passive like a cat, really doesn't suit her.

How do you think about your teenage years? How do you think about your time playing RPGs?

I think it was something of a bright spot in a much less happy time. College was good for her, so was getting out on her own, but she does remember some of the story arcs quite fondly. Not the ones with Tony's ninja stripper lesbians, maybe, but some of the other ones have given her some ideas she's working into her own story.

If someone makes a movie of this game, which actor plays your persona?

I'm envisioning someone like Mia Maestro, circa 2006 Poseidon.

Why does your persona hate their life?

Her dad keeps haranging her about settling down and having children, her social life is best described as "parasocial attachments to popular youtubers," and journalism isn't anywhere near as rewarding as she thought it might be. She basically sees all the opportunities and whatnot she was given and realizes she's converted that into utter, banal mediocrity

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 14, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony was a lower-case-j jock; as in, he didn't treat his position on the basketball team as a free ticket to act like a jackass for the most part. He did some bullying mainly because the more controlling members of the team did it and he didn't want to make waves. For example, he was part of the rumors that were circulated about Winona mainly due to being pressured into it.

He wasn't particularly popular, but did date one of the cheerleaders for a while as much because it was expected as anything else. It...didn't work out. She turned out to be pretty controlling; on the plus side the relationship was a bit of a turning point for Tony, which led to him starting to take the game more seriously since the rest of the group weren't assholes. But change is hard, so he still acted like he didn't care about the game. This put him in the strange situation of trying to take the game seriously while acting like the game was a chore.

For what it's worth, Tony isn't proud of the jerkish things he did in high school, but he sort-of excuses it with "I was an idiot when I was 16, because when you're 16 you're an idiot."

Oh, and he had zero idea Sofia had a crush on him.

He was good at coding, and got into a small college thanks to a partial scholarship. He's just started at a local tech company doing the electronic equivalent of grunt work as he finishes out his degree. He's currently single after another bad break-up with another controlling woman, but at least he seems to be picking up on the pattern now.

Tony's main hobbies are basketball (he's a Knicks fan) and reading about RPGs, His favorite movie is and his favorite album is "The House that Dirt Built" by The Heavy.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

What do you do now? Do you enjoy it?

Winona claims it's great how her app-based employment gives her freedom and flexibility before changing the subject to Burning Man stories. In reality she feels like she's barely treading water and can't bear to look at her credit card statements.

Are you married? Divorced? Multiple divorces? If so, who to?

Never married. Only short-term relationships that fizzled out. Winona tends to push people away before they have the opportunity to hurt her.

Do you have kids? Did you want kids?

No kids. Doesn't want kids. Had some succulent plants but they died. Dotes on outdoor cats when she can. Would like to be "the cool aunt".

How do you think about your teenage years?

She hates her teenage years with the exception of her rpg and robotics club activities, and rare moments of glory as the class prankster. In her view she spent too much of her time trying to impress people who turned out to be assholes.

How do you think about your time playing RPGs?

Pleasant, relaxing, maybe a little liberating. Normally in school Winona felt like she had to put on a performance all the time to maintain her social status. Around nerds there was far less pressure to keep up appearances as she didn't feel like they could threaten her reputation.

Do you keep in contact with any of the friends? If so, who?

Win's preferred online medium is posting witticisms on Twitter. She ghosts out of more serious topics because they bum her out. She probably hasn't stayed close with anyone in the group unless they moved to Los Angeles too.

If someone makes a movie of this game, which actor plays your persona?

Patricia Fa'asua.

Winona feels disconnected and directionless. She's jaded enough to think she's not worth caring about and reacts abrasively when people try to get close.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 19, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Because he can't figure out what he is. He feels like all his interests (sports, gaming, business) are all incomparable with each other and which one is the one that "defines" him.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Game Thread Here

Feel free to Post a slice of life post, or your persona arriving. I'm fine with people controlling Will for dialogue purposes. We''ll have our personas start the game once they are "settled". And we'll treat this thread as our OOC one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I should probably share my character sheet at this point.

I did make one change from before: my four emotions are now admiration, vigilance, ecstasy, and terror. I swapped ecstasy for amazement because I felt it made more sense with the pop star themeing.

NinjaPete, do my powers work on Fallen?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Here's my sheet as well. Of note, I'm really tanky when I'm charged up and given the circumstances, I think I'm somewhere in the 1-2 range right now. I'd definitely be willing to tie up the giant if Tony/Win can hold the small ones.

e: Adding my Creative Violence scale, since it's not on the linked sheet.

Level 2:
You could defeat: a mob, a blockage, a village, a weakness.

Level 3:
You could defeat: an army, a mountain range, a town.

Level 4:
You can defeat: a city, despair, someone you truly love.

Level 5:
You can defeat: a country, a religion.

Level 6:
You can defeat: a god, hope, yourself.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Yes, they should work.

EDIT: also, here is a link to a discord for this game.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 21, 2019