Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's cap off with the conclusion to another recent Viking-themed masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLDphQ7S4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I found a bunch of Things, now that VS has ended:

some words from director and a little teaser of next arc (spoilers for ep 24 obviously)
https://twitter.com/yabshu55/status...a-arc%2F.154891

aaaaaand 7-minutes video in which Yukimura talks about the anime dressed up as a Viking :allears: some nice folks translated it in the comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=y2RaxS3GbQQ&feature=emb_logo

macabresca fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 30, 2019

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Jesus, the manga. So good. I couldn't stop.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Secht posted:

Jesus, the manga. So good. I couldn't stop.
Yukimura's previous manga, Planetes, is also fantastic and recommended.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zero_Tactility posted:

Yukimura's previous manga, Planetes, is also fantastic and recommended.

The Planetes manga is very good but the anime not so much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, it's a different beast that does things differently, I wouldn't necessarily call it bad. Just... well, different from the manga. It's also sorta interesting in that it also shares a chunk of its main staff (same main series director, scriptwriter/series composition, 2 of the 4 producers and even the music of Kotaro Nakagawa) with Code Geass.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm the sort of person who prefers anime to manga as my mode of consuming a story (at least the first time around), but I'd really like to continue Vinland Saga no matter what happens. Does anyone have a sense of how long we might have to wait for an announcement of a second season?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

I'm the sort of person who prefers anime to manga as my mode of consuming a story (at least the first time around), but I'd really like to continue Vinland Saga no matter what happens. Does anyone have a sense of how long we might have to wait for an announcement of a second season?

studio wit is the kind of studio that would adapt to the bitter end but there is almost no way a second season will happen in 2020 since it hasnt been officially announced. i reckon fall 2021, and yeah im the same i'd rather watch it than read it and only read continuing manga of anime i watched when a sequel is hopeless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At least if you read the manga, it looks REALLY loving good and flows extremely well.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

studio wit is the kind of studio that would adapt to the bitter end but there is almost no way a second season will happen in 2020 since it hasnt been officially announced. i reckon fall 2021, and yeah im the same i'd rather watch it than read it and only read continuing manga of anime i watched when a sequel is hopeless

Well, I'm still an AoT anime-only person, so I can wait a few years.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I have convinced my 68 year old mother to watch Vinland Saga with me.

Given how well attempts at getting her to watch anime with me went between 15 and 20 years ago (leading to that gap being the last time I tried), she was quite accommodating, and has stuck with it to episode...13, I think? Askelaad just cut off the messenger's head.

She seems to be enjoying it, generally speaking, though she isn't a big fan of graphic violence or, well, anime.

It was hilarious that she immediately noticed that Ylva was the anime-mannerisms-specific comedic relief character on Iceland by the end of the first episode, despite almost a decade and a half of 0 anime exposure. Also, I joked upon proposing it to her that it'd be like all of the Scandanavian crime dramas she loves so much, but, you know, animated, and in Japanese, and set a thousand years ago.

Also, she immediately noticed how old Sweyn looked even when he was completely cloaked in shadow in his first appearance, and managed to retain her suspension of disbelief for the Keel-Buster and the Log-Droppers, but couldn't hold back her bark of laughter at the thrown torso-sized rocks aimed at Canute's camp, which got me laughing, too.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Nice. My mom always looks a bit bored and slightly condescending whenever I try to tell her about things I'm watching so I gave up a long time ago.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
I already posted about watching the series with my dad, who's a big fan of the actual Viking sagas. Thorkell is his favorite (because Thorkell's everybody's favorite), but he's hype to meet Gudrid down the line.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m reviving this thread.

Hello from 3 years in the future. The world is poo poo.

Vinland saga s2 was really good. That’s all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Season 2 was so drat good. It’s a shame that Vinland Saga’s anime doesn’t seem too popular because this is one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen. I’d honestly recommend the anime over the manga and I’m almost never going to do that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Season 2 was so drat good. It’s a shame that Vinland Saga’s anime doesn’t seem too popular because this is one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen. I’d honestly recommend the anime over the manga and I’m almost never going to do that.

The show got pretty good Japanese TV ratings in season 1 for a midnight anime, and season 2 usually makes the top 5 on Crunchyroll for popularity this season. (For example, it has about 6 times as many upvotes for the last episode as the latest episode of Gundam, even if it only got half the number of Tomo Chan's finale.)

The Blu-ray sales are absolute garbage, but it doesn't seem like the show's ignored or forgotten entirely.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Only the studio cares about bluray sales, the production committee only cares if it moves those sweet sweet tankobons. We'll have to wait and see on that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Only the studio cares about bluray sales, the production committee only cares if it moves those sweet sweet tankobons. We'll have to wait and see on that.

The latest volume sold about 50K week 1. That's above Black Clover and Sakamoto Days in Jump, for context. Not a jaw dropping megahit, but for a slow paced adult aimed monthly that's been going for nearly two decades now, it's solid enough.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man the last episode is right where I left off in the Manga back when they first came out. How much longer must I wait?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'll have to reread to double check but the second season of the anime seemed much closer to the manga than season one. While it definitely wasn't bad I did feel like the first season made some choices that were for the worse.