Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
205 Live
Watch it on Hulu!

The Cruiserweights have their own show and it's only on Hulu, nowhere else. Episodes are uploaded on Wednesday morning. They fight for the Cruiserweight championship. This started as the Cruiserweight Classic, an amazing tournament that ended with almost every final 8 wrestler signed with the company except ZSJ and Ibushi, who were never heard of again. Now they have a show and it's super good.

I know this will be seen as a joke and/or won't gain any traction/get a lot of posts, but 205 Live is a good show and the posts about it get drowned out in the main chat because so few people watch it.

But it should be talked about! It's a fun show and despite being in the very same building that Vince McMahon maniacally runs a similar wrestling show in, he doesn't touch it. So they have running storylines, they have characters, it all makes sense, wins and losses matter, and they have two 15-20 minute matches a night. The wrestlers get good reactions in front of half the SmackDown audience, and half of them start uninterested/are leaving. And it's not glamorous, and based on recent quotes from wrestlers that leave/general desperation to get out of WWE, it's not particularly rewarding either. But the ones that are here still give us good matches. I appreciate that. And more of us should!!!

CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION

DREW GULAK
Won: June 23, 2019 at Stomping Grounds

Gulak owns.

WATCH THE SHOW
...I bet this thread ends up with 205 Live getting cancelled in a few weeks...

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I liked this week's episode. Fun matches, storylines advanced, etc.

Jack Gallagher as a face is my favorite Jack Gallagher. I'm happy that leg-says-stop spot is back, it makes me laugh. Mike isn't particularly my cup of tea but he wasn't bad. But maybe that's Jack, too. Right guy won, and I guess they're setting up Mike Kanellis vs Drake Maverick?

DALE GAS beats jobber

Oney Lorcan going full goblin and yelling HOW DOES IT FEEL is big mood. The thing about 205 Live is every storyline seems to end in a gimmick match, and it feels like this one will be a hardcore match. That'll be fun. I feel bad for Daivari blowing his PPV chance with Nese, he was better than that showing. Also a little bit of me thinks Vince saw that match and went "who the gently caress is Tony Nese" and now we have Drew Gulak.

Speaking of Gulak, it feels like this is a gold watch for slowly melting into the player/coach role. I'll take it. I will always love my tubby submission machine.

And speaking of gimmick matches ending storylines, we get Lucha House Party in their specialty match. Those matches are always great but it's the Bollywood Boys and they are....... not so good. We'll see.

Nese/Tozawa was good because of course it was. Tozawa screaming his opponent's name cartoonishly (TONNYYYYYY) is always great. I hope Tozawa is free now, and refuse to believe that report that says he still has months on his contract.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 29, 2019

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

205 is really goddamn good and I hope enough people watch it for this thread to be a thing. I also really hope Jack Gallagher gets to actually do something now.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I never paid much attention to 205. Hell I pretty much only read about the main shows. But I really enjoyed the cruiserweight match in the preshow of stomping grounds. It was a fun match to watch.

I think I'm going to try to catch a few shows when I remember to actually log in to hulu.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

CarlCX posted:

205 is really goddamn good and I hope enough people watch it for this thread to be a thing. I also really hope Jack Gallagher gets to actually do something now.
Drew as champion has so many feud possibilities, it's nuts. Lucha House Party, Brian Kendrick, Humberto Carrillo, etc. Jack Gallagher should be towards the back of that line, so they can explode into a giant, feud ending beauty of a match in the pre-show of any PPV except WrestleMania.

e: and the even better/longer rematch on the following episode

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 29, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Caught up!

I really do not like the Bollywood Boys. Not fun to watch. Lucha House Party in their specialty match IS fun to watch, though. I swear these guys could be bringing in good money for Vince but racists be racists. I'm glad Metalik is putting in good performances even though he's just counting down the days.

Six man tag was cool and ended in a cool way. Gallagher has the umbrella again.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I want them to stop trying to make the Bollywood Boys a thing. I barely paid attention to this match and am not looking forward to weeks of tag team shenanigans.

Drake and Mike on 205 shows just how poisonous Vince is. On RAW, they're baffoons and cartoons. They act specifically to make Vince laugh. On 205 Live, their characters are more grounded and acknowledge what's been going on on RAW with actual storytelling. It's so sad.

Lorcan/Diavari was good! Went hardcore, and this storyline-ending match did exactly what it was supposed to do. Oney Lorcan can make any crowd get behind him heavily. He won't get the belt anytime soon but he deserves it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Chad Gable and Jack Gallagher had a really good match on 205 that I wish more folks were talking about

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I ended up watching this week based on people talking about Gable and Jack Gallagher, and it was very good. I had no idea Gable was on 205 Live.

Ariya Daivari's theme still rips and I hope they never change it or his weird mansion pool entrance video

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That match ripped and they had the crowd like putty in their hands. A shame anyone had to lose that match.

I guess Drake will finally wrestle a legitimate WWE match. Weird / good for him!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I guess Drake will finally wrestle a legitimate WWE match. Weird / good for him!

Not legitimate anymore, it's gonna be an unsanctioned match... that has title shot implications...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I was super busy last week but now I'm like mid 2000's Usher... caught up!

Always a treat to see Gran Metalik and Kalisto wrestle. Lince Dorado is the fall guy for a reason. Anyway, nobody popped for Raul (and commentary tried to put over that he tagged with Humberto, but they only did it 1-2 times so...) but I was happy to see him, too! He owns. I still wish, in spite of how successful Humberto is on 205, that they were a real tag team down in NXT. Especially since NXT needs tag teams. Really cool match here. Hopefully the "right" team won in the sense that I hope they call up Raul.

Oney beat a jobber.

Gulak/Swerve owned as much as you expected it to. Gulak is a monster. He's on fire. 205 Live allows a strong heel champ to exist. I love that his reign could last forever due to him having made enemies with everyone he's ever come across. I thought it was weird Swerve was here since he's barely been on NXT and lost his opening match on their future stars tournament. But who cares, he's GREAT. That wasn't Gulak carrying someone; that's talent. I like him, and am excited to see more. Hopefully this match leads to a push in NXT (made possible by Vince paying attention to neither).

--------

Skipped Bollywood Boys

...are they doing a Lucha House Party break-up angle? Looks like Metalik's exit is imminent. I kinda barely paid attention here to Lince vs Daivari. Let's say it was fine.

Why did Drake come out to the 205 Live theme and not his amazing theme? Come on! Anyway, I've only seen Drake wrestle once before (in a battle royale) and it seems like his thing is being a super small guy that gets beat up? He's VERY good at it. I see this working great as both a heel and a face, the latter working great in this match. I was behind him immediately, some of which is definitely thanks to Mike Kenellis being a great partner in this storyline. Crowd went BANANA for the comeback/win. Great stuff, I hope they continue using Drake like this (well and rarely).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I know this thread will never truly thrive, but I'm not helping by watching these episodes so late!!! If anyone's actually reading these posts to myself, sorry.

I can't believe they're giving this interesting storyline to the worst Lucha House Party member. How could someone that worked in CHIKARA be this boring? That match was all Humberto, who owns and did a flying headbutt from the second rope. That ending got me hooked in spite of my Dorado hate. I like where this is going, and I like Ariya Daivari being a manipulative rear end in a top hat. Gran Metalik does not want to be in WWE anymore. I will miss him.

That six pack challenge owned because of course it did. I will always love Nigel for trying to make Lobster House Party work. That beginning was amazing and funny. It just makes so much sense when 5 out of 6 wrestlers are face. When the match picked up, it was real good. That tower of submissions was cool, everything was cool, I like this show.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

205 Live is easily the best weekly WWE product imo, not that the bar is all too high i guess. everyone on that roster rules, though i'm not super high on the Bollywood Boys and sometimes Tony Nese depending on how i feel.

Gran Metalik is probably 2nd or 1B to Harper for wasted talent imo. really hope he secured his WWE bag and is headed elsewhere soon.

also really glad Oney is thriving on 205 Live. him and Burch are (were???) my favorite team in NXT bar none. even though it's the pre-show, i think it's pretty drat cool he's got a WWE PPV match since he was the biggest head scratcher signing before they really went nuts signing everyone. i doubt he wins it Sunday, but would be cool, though i do love me some Gulak too. should be a good 8-10 minute match and hopefully a proper TV rematch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I should watch 205 Live, I always enjoyed it when I did in the past, but it feels like the definition of a show that exists on a knife-edge of cancellation the moment somebody high up in WWE (Vince) remembers it is there and asks,"Why?" - that shouldn't affect my enjoyment, and I should be able to just enjoy really good matches and a show that is largely free from the bullshit booking of WWE, but something about their lack of investment in the show translates to my own lack of impetus to actually get around to keeping up with it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I can relate to that a bit. I am fairly invested but am afraid that this ends like WWECW did: Vince comes out and says "next week, there'll be a new show" and that's that. But it really is a sigh of relief in current weekly wrestling television (until AEW debuts). RAW will drive you mad and so will SmackDown on occasion, but 205 presents storylines that make sense with proper character motivation + two good matches a week! They're so far in now that they'll likely last til next WM. That's what I tell myself.

Huntman posted:

though i'm not super high on the Bollywood Boys
THANK YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I should watch 205 Live, I always enjoyed it when I did in the past, but it feels like the definition of a show that exists on a knife-edge of cancellation the moment somebody high up in WWE (Vince) remembers it is there and asks,"Why?" - that shouldn't affect my enjoyment, and I should be able to just enjoy really good matches and a show that is largely free from the bullshit booking of WWE, but something about their lack of investment in the show translates to my own lack of impetus to actually get around to keeping up with it.

this is a good way to describe it. it's like some goofy niche TV show that i'm gonna love, but i also know that it will be canceled almost immediately.

which naturally i will attach myself to and ride that sumbitch into the ground and act surprised when it does get canned because i love the pain. there is no better WWE high than watching a dead 205 Live crowd come to life.

and yeah, Bollywood Boys, i don't get them. i mean, i do, but whatever. i guess if Jinder is dead, they ought to be elsewhere. they feel like a filler tag team that may occasionally challenge for tag belts on weekly free TV. except those cruiserweight tag belts never came when i thought they would. they did have a pretty dece division i thought with Bollywood/Lucha House Party/Hideo + Tozawa/Kendrick + Gallagher/uhhh...okay maybe it wasn't that good, but it can't be worse than the women's tag division!!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have complex feelings about 205. On one hand, it consistently has some of the best wrestling on television and I love nearly all of the performers. On the other, like, if you look at the last ten shows:
  • 6/4: Gulak/Tozawa, Oney vs Daivari
  • 6/11: Singh Bros vs Jobbers, Gable vs Gallagher, Daivari attacks Oney
  • 6/18: Singh Bros vs Lucha House Party, Kendrick vs Jobber, Oney vs Daivari
  • 6/25: Gallagher vs Kanellis, Carrillo vs Jobber, Oney attacks Daivari, Nese vs Tozawa
  • 7/2: Singh Bros vs Lucha House Party, Gallagher/Nese/Oney vs Daivari/Gulak/Kanellis in which Oney and Daivari attack each other
  • 7/9: Kendrick w/ Tozawa vs Sunil Singh w/ Samir, Gallagher vs Jobber, Oney vs Daivari
  • 7/16: Tozawa w/ Kendrick vs Samir Singh w/ Sunil, Kanellis vs Jobber, Gable vs Gallagher
  • 7/23: Lucha House Party vs Carrillo/Mendoza, Oney vs Jobber, Gulak vs Swerve
  • 7/30: Tozawa/Kendrick vs Singh Bros, Dorado vs Daivari, Drake vs Kanellis
  • 8/6: Carrillo vs Dorado, Oney/Nese/Tozawa/Daivari/Gallagher/Kalisto

205 is a small show with a small roster by necessity and working within the restrictions of a shoestring budget, 40 minutes per episode and a roster with only like six real singles competitors is hard as hell, but the result is 205 has this specific rhythm that it repeats over and over, and the smaller scale of the show makes it feel really, really repetitive, especially when you get into those 'how many configurations of the Bollywood Boys vs Kendrick and Tozawa can we do' ruts. My girlfriend loves cruiserweight wrestling and loved 205 and she gave up after the fifteenth time an episode opened with some permutation of Lucha House Party in a meaningless match with no stakes.

I don't know how you fix that without putting more money and time into 205, though, and they are most definitely not going to do that, so I dunno that there is much to do except shrug and try to enjoy it when cool stuff happens.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
To be honest I share some of those feelings but they tend to be tempered by a lot of what you said (small budget, small roster) + knowing they're following an incredibly old school template. They don't need those filler jobber matches, but they always either a) add some credibility to someone to make sure they can be used for a story later b) become the beginning of a storyline or a beat in the middle of a storyline due to a sneak attack by a different wrestler.

Also following that old school template of a few weeks of repetitive matches. Yeah, it can be pretty boring to see a match over and over again. NXT proved that with their championship Takeover matches with Joe, Finn, Shin, Roode, etc. They use the standard "A wins a match then B wins a match then the rematch is a gimmick match" with EVERY storyline they run (which can be dragged out with tag teams on 205). The only positive from it is when a story ends, it ENDS. Nothing lingers. Like you wrote, it took Oney/Daivari six weeks to end but it ended definitively. Now the winner has a championship match and the loser is still being presented as a threat. This also happens all the time on 205 but is the only forgiveable repetitiveness IMO.

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is maybe your girlfriend will like the show better now that Lucha House Party isn't the entire centerpiece of it anymore. That era lasted longer than expected, and 205 Live

Huntman posted:

no better WWE high than watching a dead 205 Live crowd come to life.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
CHALLENGE

If you don't watch 205 Live but read this thread for funsies: watch it for 4 weeks. It's less than an hour long, you can bang that out while working out. Do it whenever you can, because lord knows I watch it late as hell. Here's my spoiler-less post to try and convince you.

omg they're starting with Tozawa and Gallagher, my heart. Kendrick running to Akira when he was hurt on the outside warmed my drat heart. That's tag team love. This was a really fun match that felt a little withholding, and the ending explained that very well. If you start watching 205 Live now, you are at the beginning of a storyline. The likelinesss of it ending somewhere in 4-6 weeks is very high, especially with the slight mystery of it all.

lol the ref messed up in this match and caught attitude from one of the Bollywood Boys of all people!!! Anyway, standard six-man. Storyline to this point: Humberto Carrillo is the hot stud of NXT and has beaten Gran Metalik and Kalisto. In a promo, Kalisto bigged him up but Lince Dorado got offended. Humberto and Dorado fought in a great match to a double countout, where Humberto freaked out and beat the poo poo out of Lince after. Daivari showed up after to be the serpent in Lince's ear, telling Lince that he's a star and deserves the success of the group. Now we're here, in a six man tag where Gran Metalik was mysteriously attacked and had to be replaced by Humberto Carillo. I hate the Bollywood Boys so I kind of slept through this one but Kalisto and Humberto and Daivari own. That ending fits so perfectly in their story. If you start watching 205 Live now, you'll get to see characters you care about going through well thought-out storylines!

A promo from Tony Nese, because just because they aren't using you in an active storyline doesn't mean they forget you. You get a promo or a jobber squash.

Another great thing about 205 Live: the post-PPV rematch. Nobody cares about PPV 205 matches and they won't care because they get 12 minutes on the pre-show. Every 205 episode after a PPV, they rerun the championship match and give it time to properly end their story. It's so fun and I love it this week because Gulak and Oney deserved a lot more than they got on Sunday. Match was unsurprisingly good. They got the crowd into it immediately. Callbacks to their SummerSlam match. Heel champion's character is on point. The scenery chewing from both men is hilarious and great. If you start watching 205 Live now, no real bullet point here it's just cool knowing the wrestlers you watch WILL eventually get to tell the story they want to tell.

This episode has a beginning middle and end of a storyline.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
This was a 40 minute match that owned and showcased Swerve and gave us bursts of Garza/Carrillo. gently caress this match was fun. 205 Live is great. They didn't forget the feuds they set-up last week, either. Both were advanced and moving on to next week!

With Oney/Carrillo standing tall, we're definitely getting that singles match in two weeks for the #1 contendership. Can't wait! It feels like it's a super-slow build for Jack Gallagher, so I don't think Carrillo or Oney (definitely Carrillo) is going to take it home. But we'll see!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really liked the match, especially the cuts to backstage to show the eliminated guys arguing or conspiring to build future or ongoing storylines.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Oh yeah and the "rumor" (definite fact :() is that this is ending soon so GET YOUR POSTING WHILE IT'S HOT, BOYS

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The match and the storyline setups were neat, and that was a fun match to watch. I thought Tony Nese being on the heel team and not participating in the corner beatdown and not wanting their cheating help was a nice touch. Angel Garza is such a good rear end in a top hat, he does the smug smile in a way that Alberto Del Rio tried but was never quite successful at.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I thought I posted in this thread for this week, oh noooooo! I even watched it relatively early this week. Dag.

It was a great show this week. Daivari really needed that win, Kalisto is really out here owning every match he's in despite desperately wanting to leave the company. I love this story and how it's progressing.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

With Oney/Carrillo standing tall, we're definitely getting that singles match in two weeks for the #1 contendership. Can't wait! It feels like it's a super-slow build for Jack Gallagher, so I don't think Carrillo or Oney (definitely Carrillo) is going to take it home. But we'll see!
I was a week off, I thought we had Kendrick/Gallagher this week. This match was fun and the crowd was too tired to fully enjoy it. So glad Humberto gets his time to shine for a PPV pre-show. He's so fun. Gulak tron promo owned.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Will this thread reach two pages before cancellation???

This was a good episode with two good matches + a tag team match set-up that I'm intrigued with. I wonder who Jack will pick. Gable???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor 205 Live, it really does feel like it is living on borrowed time. Although I suppose it could end up like Main Event or Superstars where Vince isn't aware it exists and it just kind of runs along on its own for a few years.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

It's gotta suck to put on a great match like tonight's six man only for the crowd to poo poo all over it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
205 represented well tonight!

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Power Windows posted:

Oney doing sick lariats and yelling his opponent's name?

"ATSUI! ATSUI!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Angel Garza is wonderful and I love him. I hate Humberto's finisher, but fantastic match.

Oney and Burch loving own and this match ruled. Burch powering up in ring while Oney powered up outside was the loving best.