Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weka posted:

I don't condone this sort of behavior but I suppose when you live in China or Russia then Americans don't look like everyday people financially.

yeah there's an episode of Reply All where they talk to a scammer from Russia or India or something and basically they see all Americans as inherently more privileged and feel entitled to taking what they can. its to the point where large cultures of international fraud exist in the communities and their governments turn a blind eye or even profit from it. It's really hosed up. Good luck OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
OP, I am actually in the works starting a self help book publishing empire called Fraud Wise, pm me for details.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

OP please update us. If you put a personal number (even if just a burner number) on a public website known best for being dead and gay and poo poo posting, we know it's a desperate situation. Hope all works out :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hey OP did they ever get your parents' money or did the money mule move it out of the country before they could reclaim it?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Inept posted:

Hey OP did they ever get your parents' money or did the money mule move it out of the country before they could reclaim it?

Look inside your heart.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Hey so funny story, I almost fell for this scam at work. One of our vendors sends me an email letting me know they're being audited and I have to send payment to an affiliate bank. This is an overseas vendor so we wire the money to them. We hardly ever speak to them on the phone and I've never seen them in person. Changing our payment would cause us to have to rework some stuff with our bank so we asked them how long the audit would take and politely let them know that we could make the payment but it would be late. I loving posted in this thread and still it didn't click. A few days later, they let us know they were hacked that we should absolutely not send payment to any other bank. Goddamn it. I definitely would have been fired had I made that payment, which is a 6 figure amount. These guys were fairly sophisticated I would say. They wrote the email exactly in the same syntax that our vendor usually does, and sent the email at the exact interval that we were supposed to have made the payment.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Well yeah, I put effort in this poo poo. Thanks for nothing! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Always call to verify wire instructions. Sucks. They wired the money themselves (ie it didn't come from a lender)?