Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Pares is still in the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

He's right. How does Mookie think charity organizations work? If the SS members aren't accepting payment and their order isn't giving them a stipend, how do they get by? We saw Spookie busking using the power of her ghost but that was a one-off thing; odds are most ghosts are like the walk guy and they don't benefit at all.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

He's right. How does Mookie think charity organizations work? If the SS members aren't accepting payment and their order isn't giving them a stipend, how do they get by? We saw Spookie busking using the power of her ghost but that was a one-off thing; odds are most ghosts are like the walk guy and they don't benefit at all.

Presumably their offscreen partners pay for everything, since Mookie can only write what he knows.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

This is page 21, so I bet this is the last of Pares.

In a better story, Pares might reveal his mercenary outlook is because he can't connect with spirits, and since spirit shepherds only get paid when they do their job, he turned to lying out of desperation. maybe he keeps lying because he thinks he's actually doing good, or maybe he's doing as a subtle "gently caress you" to the successful shepherds, who knows

nah, he's just selfish and greedy

lol

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

This is page 21, so I bet this is the last of Pares.
The last week feels like it's going to be Spookie going "am I doing the right thing? Yes. Yes I am". But as this is Deegan I wouldn't rule out Pares falling down an unexpected mineshaft and the comic mocking his ghost.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If the goal was to have Pares as a foil of some kind, this would be ok. Grading on a curve, I mean. It would represent better setup than he's ever done for a more interesting dynamic than he's ever written. It's a great hook for them to keep coming into conflict and learn from each other+grow as characters, maybe in episodic stories. I don't think it's going to go anywhere, of course.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 24, 2024

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Given mookie's goal here was to attack mediums and his preference for black-and-white morality I was expecting this to end with Pares going "you were right, Saritha, I am nothing but a scam artist". Having him give a semi-coherent argument for what he's doing and a legitimate critique of how spirit shepherds treat themselves is a pleasant surprise. I guess there's still a page left for rocks to fall on him and kill him as karmic justice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A sympathetic argument from the designated bad guy, and an appeal to We Are The Good Ones from the designated good guy. Still, the best actual conflict of opposing views we've seen basically ever from this comic.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

maybe the town should ensure their local afterlife communicator (with actual powers) had their basic needs met but mookie has not played a game about a monk.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The problem with Pares is that his argument doesn’t work because he’s a scam artist. There’s nothing to make us want to see that Pares may be right.

If he were to be a foil, then he should have actual skills. Otherwise, he’s not compelling at all. The only thing that could happen that could make this work is Pares dies, and now it’s up to her to set him at peace.

General statement about removing 50% of the words.

Also, where is the skull? I was promised a skull with character and charm! I want the skull!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The problem with Pares is that his argument doesn’t work because he’s a scam artist. There’s nothing to make us want to see that Pares may be right.

If he were to be a foil, then he should have actual skills. Otherwise, he’s not compelling at all. The only thing that could happen that could make this work is Pares dies, and now it’s up to her to set him at peace.

General statement about removing 50% of the words.

Also, where is the skull? I was promised a skull with character and charm! I want the skull!

Turns out the skull was inside you the whole time!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
There's still time for the scammer to become the skull

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

This sucks. It's dull, the characters are flat, and the art is dogshit.

It's also probably the most unironically good thing he's ever written.

Mookie: a man of contrasts

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Congrats to Mookie, achieved actual and legitimate mediocrity after years of trying! Hooray!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I still don't understand why the rock lady flipped out on them. Apparently it's just to set up scamboy's point of "why are you so nice to customers when they're all craaazy" but it seems to come out of nowhere.

It's also very bold of Mookie to point out, once again, that spirit shepherds do a public service with zero public support. The guy's right, if no one wants to pay for ghost infrastructure then it's going to have to be an enterprise, even a nonprofit one, and blah blah the real poltergeist dad was capitalism all along.

Seriously, how is there an organization? Is she the only one who's not exorcising ghosts on weekends while holding down a day job?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 24, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

I still don't understand why the rock lady flipped out on them. Apparently it's just to set up scamboy's point of "why are you so nice to customers when they're all craaazy" but it seems to come out of nowhere.

It's also very bold of Mookie to point out, once again, that spirit shepherds do a public service with zero public support. The guy's right, if no one wants to pay for ghost infrastructure then it's going to have to be an enterprise, even a nonprofit one, and blah blah the real poltergeist dad was capitalism all along.

Seriously, how is there an organization? Is she the only one who's not exorcising ghosts on weekends while holding down a day job?

She wanted to be alone with her grief and the other assholes around her were arguing. That at least makes some sense. Not the continued throwing, but the emotional response. Her brother decided she needed a drat fight in the room, Pares caused the problem to begin with, and our hero was caught in the crossfire.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's also not clear that Merrill wanted them there in the first place, and it's definitely clear she wanted reconciliation and peace with her father rather than have his ghost forcefully exploded. Saritha gave that little speech about what was best for Merrill but she didn't at any point actually ask her.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

merill isn't a person she's a prop
i mean moreso than most of the characters

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Mx. posted:

merill isn't a person she's a prop
i mean moreso than most of the characters

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
don't attribute motives and beliefs to characters unless stated openly via dialogue or internal monologue

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mookie's blog post today confirms this chapter ends next week, then we're "back to Kadaz for more dwarf drama".

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Mookie's blog post today confirms this chapter ends next week, then we're "back to Kadaz for more dwarf drama".

Oh good. I was getting tired of 'surprisingly competent mediocrity'.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Caphi posted:

The other Spirit Shepherds are all nepo babies. This means they never had to work for anything that didn't come naturally to them, a sure sign of good person alignment.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Hippocrass posted:

Oh good. I was getting tired of 'surprisingly competent mediocrity'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad Mookie took several weeks out of his dwarf story apropos of nothing to tell this bland story about how he hates some kinds of woo healers and not others.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Mookie's blog post today

drat, Mookie almost threw out his entire story for the next chapter because drawing the cover page was too hard.

quote:

In preparation for the next Kadaz story, I sat down to begin working on the “cover page” to display while I take the scheduled week off between stories. I was convinced it was going to be an easy work day because I knew who the story would be focusing on and I knew what I wanted to draw.

At least I thought I did.

My original idea didn’t work the way I envisioned it. So I tried something else. That looked too lazy. So I went back to my original idea. It looked worse. And then I had an idea for an image that looked really neat but had nothing to do with the story I was planning to tell. So I started to consider changing my original idea to fit the new cover image idea. I scrapped that and tried another idea. It sucked. All the while the clock was ticking down to the time to pick up my son from school, effectively ending my work day. By the time I was halfway through my free time to work I had nothing to show for it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

the last kadaz title page also didn't have anything to do with the story though

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The comic mentioned donations earlier, so presumably they work like a mendicant order.

Edit: Found it:

They don't accept "payment", but they will guilt people into making voluntary donations. Totally different.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 25, 2024

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just wanted to say that it warms my heart that after so many threads dedicated to shows, comics, and movies I've liked have vanished as people stopped posting in them, this thread dedicated to this drat webcomic is still thriving.

You're all doing the work of the righteous and please keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NowonSA posted:

I just wanted to say that it warms my heart that after so many threads dedicated to shows, comics, and movies I've liked have vanished as people stopped posting in them, this thread dedicated to this drat webcomic is still thriving.

You're all doing the work of the righteous and please keep it up!

Feel free to join in on us losing hair over this!