Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your list was a little long. Also, Seinfeld sucked.

Seinfeld had aged like a fine cheese left in the back of a damp, rotting closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
been getting high and watching what i think was the stream in the op for like the past 2 hours now

edit: really interesting stuff, op. i don't know much about this but i'm already alarmed about interplanetary horseplaly

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thread needs to get off its rear end and buy Buster Rod a Sheldon av with redtext for gently caress's sake.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your list was a little long. Also, Seinfeld sucked.

Frasier

FTFY

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's only a theory

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Ever since I watched the first ten minutes of the deeply embarrassing pilot of the american version of peep show I can't look at the main big bang guy's face without my throat and my rear end in a top hat tryna reach into my stomach and shake hands. I can't explain it but the vicarious shame of that has really stuck with me and intensified over the years

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i thought that radio station sitcom with phil hartman was pretty good. not like "i need to watch every episode' good, but still funny for its time

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Rip Phil hartman or, as his friends called him, Phartman

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’ve tried watching BBT on several occasions and every time I watch for about 6 minutes, think to myself “the people who would find this funny wouldn’t even understand the “joke” (science reference) because if you do, it’s not funny” and then I turn it off.

bartok
May 10, 2006

My only experience with watching Big Bang Theory is it being on in the waiting room of an ER when I had a dislocated knee. I found it irritating because either the Bazinga nerd or the David from Roseanne nerd were just referencing video game poo poo and the laughtrack was going ape poo poo despite the lack of an actual joke. It didn't help that I was in a lot of pain and hoping my insurance wouldn't gently caress me over.
Maybe I should give the show a fair chance when I'm not in immense pain but my barometer for if a TV show is bad is if my stepmom likes it and she loves Big Bang Theory.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bartok posted:

My only experience with watching Big Bang Theory is it being on in the waiting room of an ER when I had a dislocated knee. I found it irritating because either the Bazinga nerd or the David from Roseanne nerd were just referencing video game poo poo and the laughtrack was going ape poo poo despite the lack of an actual joke. It didn't help that I was in a lot of pain and hoping my insurance wouldn't gently caress me over.
Maybe I should give the show a fair chance when I'm not in immense pain but my barometer for if a TV show is bad is if my stepmom likes it and she loves Big Bang Theory.

The show is just really bad. My boomer folks liked it for some reason, and I had to suffer through it being on the TV occasionally.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bartok posted:

because that is the joke. weird nerd who would be playing realistically be playing SS13 or some old or good rpg, plays loving fortnite or some mainstream game that kids play cut to laugh track. like id find it funny if they played weird old poo poo and talked in depth about games/movies that arn't just surface popculture poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because that is the joke. weird nerd who would be playing realistically be playing SS13 or some old or good rpg, plays loving fortnite or some mainstream game that kids play cut to laugh track. like id find it funny if they played weird old poo poo and talked in depth about games/movies that arn't just surface popculture poo poo.

yeah prime time American mom cares about the inside jokes of an indie funded RPG and the YouTube comment section on a StarWars fan film you watched. That'll be a real hit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

yeah prime time American mom cares about the inside jokes of an indie funded RPG and the YouTube comment section on a StarWars fan film you watched. That'll be a real hit.

true but the show wouldn't be any less funny probably.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"This date is going about as well as Star Citizen's crowdfunding!"

Laugh track: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

63-year old in a recliner: what the gently caress

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cosmik Slop posted:

"This date is going about as well as Star Citizen's crowdfunding!"

Laugh track: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

63-year old in a recliner: what the gently caress

i mean the old boomer doesn't know what fortnite is either though. plus its all about the delivery i guess.

also wouldnt that mean the date is going pretty well since they did make money for producing nothing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the old boomer doesn't know what fortnite is either though. plus its all about the delivery i guess.

also wouldnt that mean the date is going pretty well since they did make money for producing nothing.

You're failing to get the joke that the jokes you want would be failures and people are making fun of you for that.

I'm spelling this out for you now so you can read it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Earwicker posted:

i thought that radio station sitcom with phil hartman was pretty good. not like "i need to watch every episode' good, but still funny for its time

Newsradio was amazing, the first episode after Phil Hartman's death was super emotional, and Jon Lovitz was terrible in it. As far as I know, Newsradio is the only good thing that Joe Rogan has ever been a part of.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

You're failing to get the joke that the jokes you want would be failures and people are making fun of you for that.

I'm spelling this out for you now so you can read it.

I think he is disputing that they would be failures

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:qq: Why doesn't this show apply to me, a true gamer!?!

Not to defend that awful show but having games be a punchline without jokes underlines the simple truth that gaming is a joke and people who do it are clowns so you are encouraged to laugh at then.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The Big Bang Theory is a situational comedy. It is not a stand-up comedian act, and it is not some joke reel. The show's premise and humor derives from exaggerated characters and situations in which the general viewing public can relate to. Everyone knows a Sheldon or Amy or has awkward friends who don't know how to deal with basic social situations. The shows popularity does not derive from an understanding of science or gaming jokes by the views, but by a relatable understanding of the personalities of the characters.

The same can be said about Seifend, Friends, How I Met Your Mother or other successful three wall, laugh track sitcom. People can relate to characters like George, or Joey or Marshall because they emulate real life personalities and topics. Seinfeld was the biggest example of this. It was billed about a show about nothing, but in reality it touched on everything; small tidbits of daily life that always sat in the back of your mind.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jesus. We get it. It's a forgettable sitcom. Sitcalm down.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Poasty posted:

Good sitcoms with laugh tracks:

Frasier
3rd Rock from the Sun
The Drew Carey Show
Seinfeld
Cheers
??????

Know your characters, have a bunch of naturally funny people, write actual jokes for the characters to perform. It can happen. It isn't magic

Cheers is the mental delusion of Norm, as his alcoholism destroys his homelife, his career, and his entire mind.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
bazonga

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Big Bang Theory really is the best portrait of nerds because they are constantly pulling each other down with snippy comments and shittiness, blindly consume media targeted at them, and have constant weird hang ups around women.

Also my parents would put it on the TV all of the time when I visited and I'm pretty sure the only Latino folks I've seen up on it were a couple janitors cleaning the cafeteria.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Surprised no one mentioned how racist it is to Indians, like Howard imitating Raj's voice, I guess the Apu is bad hype train has moved on to the next sjw situation?

I'm so angry I have to change my turban rn

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cheapsteaks posted:

I'm pretty sure the only Latino folks I've seen up on it were a couple janitors cleaning the cafeteria.
It's pretty devoid of people of color. Raj is only there because "rich asian" needed to be X'd out and lol if you thought they would use a Chinese guy and not make dick jokes.

Hell the only asian girl they interact with is a literal North Korean spy (aside from Raj's arranged date who is gay).

Oh and they get to make jokes about a 13 year old Korean prodigy and get him hooked on slutty white chicks??

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
In a very special TBBT; Howard's obese, overbearing, abusive mother dies. The kids all have an emotional evening recalling their favorite memories of a disembodied voice screaming food orders at a anti-Semitic stereotype.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

:qq: Why doesn't this show apply to me, a true gamer!?!

Not to defend that awful show but having games be a punchline without jokes underlines the simple truth that gaming is a joke and people who do it are clowns so you are encouraged to laugh at then.

actually they show that gamers are truly geniuses that bang katey cuoco

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Newsradio was amazing, the first episode after Phil Hartman's death was super emotional, and Jon Lovitz was terrible in it. As far as I know, Newsradio is the only good thing that Joe Rogan has ever been a part of.

yeah i could never bring myself to watch a single one of the jon lovits episodes

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I prefer the 2 slit experiment

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

spaceblancmange posted:

I prefer the 2 slit experiment

This should be the spinoff

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

It's pretty devoid of people of color. Raj is only there because "rich asian" needed to be X'd out and lol if you thought they would use a Chinese guy and not make dick jokes.

Hell the only asian girl they interact with is a literal North Korean spy (aside from Raj's arranged date who is gay).

Oh and they get to make jokes about a 13 year old Korean prodigy and get him hooked on slutty white chicks??

One of them had a serious relationship with Raj's sister, his parents popped up often via facetime and towards the end of the show's run he has an indian fiancee. So not totally devoid of p.o.c. Also there was that latino cleaning lady that Raj fell for but they could never be together for she was but a lowly cleaner, which was quite lovely.
I don't recall a black person in the series though, apart from Neil D.T. and James Earl Jones.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Big Bang Theory??? More like Big Shame Shmeary!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

supernatural blonde posted:

One of them had a serious relationship with Raj's sister, his parents popped up often via facetime and towards the end of the show's run he has an indian fiancee. So not totally devoid of p.o.c. Also there was that latino cleaning lady that Raj fell for but they could never be together for she was but a lowly cleaner, which was quite lovely.
I don't recall a black person in the series though, apart from Neil D.T. and James Earl Jones.

Vernee Watson made a few appearances. Most memorable was the episode where Howard got his junk stuck in a robot hand.