Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just discovered this thread, don't know how I missed it. At first i was like why does he have two engines, is he gonna flip a coin?

Then I was like WAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

This is the tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea, while I am skeptical this project will ever see the street, I'm going to help in any way I can. OP if you need a finite element analysis done on a part you want to design, let me know and I'll slam it through Solidworks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I recognize the challenges, and my own limitations, but i don't think i've ever wanted something to work more than i want this to.

Think of the possibilities it opens up, like 2 EZ36s + an STI 6sp in the back of a falcon wagon with 6 of those VW carbbies poking through the bed. You could have a really nice 3000lb flat 12 mid engine superwagon for like, 20 grand.

This is more than just a project, this is the AI space program, i fully accept the first rocket usually blows up.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Dibs on not being our Apollo 1 equivalent.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Dibs on not being our Apollo 1 equivalent.

I'll donate some ink pens.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I'll donate some ink pens.

нет, спасибо, у меня есть карандаш

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mechanical pencil? :smug:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Powershift posted:

:five:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Powershift posted:

[Insert gif of 'if he dies, he dies' here. I can't get the stupid thing to work]

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I believe this belongs in this thread, as to another example of the proper way to build a 12 cyclinder engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVJFfVXip0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fins posted:

I believe this belongs in this thread, as to another example of the proper way to build a 12 cyclinder engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVJFfVXip0

lmao, you have to love Russians for their dedication to doing dumb poo poo with cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lmao, you have to love Russians for their dedication to doing dumb poo poo with cars.

Those characters in particular. They also built a Lada with a Gaz V8 from one of the big trucks. It was a glorious hack job, but it worked.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think these are the same dudes that made magnetic suspension, too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

Also, i found this at a used poo poo store, and i think it's my bible.

It includes all sorts of soul soothing tales like what's inside a C6.

I'm late to the party, but look what I found in a thrift shop yesterday!

Sadly I did not get it, I was in there killing time waiting for rush hour to die down (also I just paid rent). Seeing what's inside has me second guessing that decision. :smith:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

STR posted:

I'm late to the party, but look what I found in a thrift shop yesterday!

Sadly I did not get it, I was in there killing time waiting for rush hour to die down (also I just paid rent). Seeing what's inside has me second guessing that decision. :smith:

Maybe if you are lucky, that book will still be there! Swing by when you can and check, worst that can happen is someone else bought it first.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Powershift posted:

This is my ridiculous cartoon car you all know and love

My Grandpa has 3 of these he bought for parts rusting to gently caress on his farm. Between them he could have had two running, but they've long since been scavenged by outlaws along with all the other poo poo he never had the time or inclination to restore.

Good luck man, this is a real cool thing and I'm glad to observe it taking shape.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I’m not sure if you got your coupling situation sorted, but have you looked at lovejoy couplings? I have 0 experience with them, but I saw that they are used to couple electric car motors in series and say they work with ICE engines too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

doogle posted:

I’m not sure if you got your coupling situation sorted, but have you looked at lovejoy couplings? I have 0 experience with them, but I saw that they are used to couple electric car motors in series and say they work with ICE engines too.

Yeah, we discussed it a page or two ago. Only ones good for high torque and rpm use brass spiders that are crazy expensive and would likely transmit too much vibration.

I'm really liking the guibo and driveshaft balancer plan. Either that or a chain coupler

I was really hoping to be making progress with this but I've got so much poo poo stacked against me in general at this point.

Maybe I'll force myself outside and make a little progress on this today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

16 degrees out and i'm loving drenched in sweat, despite cutting all my hair and beard off.

Ghetto as gently caress but they each say 300lbs. I hopped on it and it's pretty solid and stable.

These engines have a cute little pump for the heater core instead of a thermostat.

The engine i thought seemed higher mileage based on the varnish under the valve cover still had an original untouched plastic water pump impeller and all the factory clamps, so they might both be around 100k. It had some sort of clear, syrupy coolant, that looked, felt, and smelled like straight polyethylene glycol.

You can see how skinny these bitches are.

Then i went on this pointless adventure.

And then it was pointless because the lower manifold came off with the same bolts anyways, so blah

Nice lookin innards, although it looks like a port and polish would pick up 60hp.

And the first big moment.

I've got half an inch between balancer and flex plate. probably an inch from crank to crank, and the whole shebang tits to tail is 42 inches dead. I should be able to put the rear engine entirely behind the crossmember, and if i do away with the flex plate and shave the bottom bell housing mounts off can drop the whole thing right around the crossmember.

There are also a ton of places to tie them together, A/C compressor/alternator, and power steering pump brackets to bell housing bolts. It's going to take a few legit fabbed up brackets, but i should be able to get everything dead nuts solid, and use shim stock to get it dead nuts straight.

Overall though i'm loving these little engines. I can just pick them up and spin them around to reach bolts. everything is fairly well thought out. All aluminum brackets on an aluminum engine, so no real galvanic corrosion to speak of. A water pump swap would be a 10 minute job even in a FWD car, although the spark plugs have never been done in either engine, because changing spark plugs means undoing the fuel rail and wiring harness and removing the entire intake manifold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVSGtP2UowM

Could you imagine tracking down a random misfire, having to pull the intake manifold every time to swap a coil.

Everything is completely symmetrical, and reversible. apart from the EGR system fouling on the power steering reservoir if you spin the intake manifold around. You flip the exhaust manifolds side to side or spin em around. I'm guessing it's because these engines were in both FWD and RWD cars, and FR, FF, FRAWD, and FFAWD. They got a really nice intake manifold in the X-types and S-types, so i think i might have some shopping to do.

Imagine polished aluminum valve covers and intake manifolds. polished timing covers. polished blocks

Also, en engine fell over on my phone because i'm dumb, like not even regular dumb, extra super dumb.

Didn't make it through the factory screen protector though. go team!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

changing spark plugs means undoing the fuel rail and wiring harness and removing the entire intake manifold.

Could you imagine tracking down a random misfire, having to pull the intake manifold every time to swap a coil.

Chrysler did this on some 4 cylinders. Toyota requires removing the upper half of the intake on some V6s.

It's annoying as hell, but they're hardly the only ones burying the plugs under poo poo. Now having to pull the fuel rail is a different circle of hell, but at least on the Triton motors, it wasn't a huge deal to pull the rail to get to the plugs.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Eh just install manual shut off valves for fuel. Unless getting gas everywhere isn't the main concern.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would probably have stuffed this car into a curb or nearby tree long before it came time to replace a set of iridiums.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Eh just install manual shut off valves for fuel. Unless getting gas everywhere isn't the main concern.

the concern is more determining if it's a fuel problem or vaccum leak.

The project kind of got sidelined, but I'm hopefully on track for spring.

Where i'm at right now:

have 2 engines, 1 transmission, 1 ECU.

my issue right now is i need a full LS wiring harness, 500, taurus or freestyle ECU and key, and a tuner that isn't tied to a single Vin, or:
second LS ECU and 2 wiring harnesses, Tuner to code both ECUs to 1 Vin and a tuner. or:
Megasquirt to control the whole thing, but still need LS wiring harness to control the transmission or:
Toyota 1GZ and trans for $2500 which might take some time or:
a 400k km duramax + allison 2000 from pile of city busses running through one of my old haunts or:
2 Junkyard LS engines?

I have other priorities right now, and pretty much hibernate through winter anyways, and with a hood this long the car deserves 12-16 cylinders. I think on Monday I'll call Bama to get their input on the situation, but i'm not sure which direction i want to go yet. A full 1GZ from ECU to output shaft is only $2500, but also relatively boring..... well, as boring as a V12 can be.

I'm still driving the car as much as i can afford too, and approaching 69,420 miles at drat near 50 cents a mile in gas. The other day she put on a show. Linking the full res pictures because it's art

https://i.imgur.com/1BWZ6tz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/T8tEU4Y.jpg

I just want to drive it everywhere, and sometimes spin both rear tires.

I'm also split right now between polished Rocket launchers or 5x5 to 8x170 adapters to run the Platinum 20s I found for my pickup. Option C being polished Jeep 7-spokes.

What do i dooooo

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just used a Ford tuner in Ocala, FL to have the security removed on my Continental ECU. He mostly does V8 stuff but he might be able to do it on your V6 ECUs. It's still all EEC V or EEC VI right? Let me know if you want his info.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, The ECU i have for the trans is out of a 3.0 Lincoln Ls which has VVT which my engines don't have so i'll need a tune anyways. The handheld tuners are limited to 1 VIN, so ideally i could find 2 LS harnesses, 1 more LS ECU, and use 1 vin coded tuner and 1 key to start and run them.

I think i might have to save for a regular junkyard harness, because all the LSes that come through the pick'n'pull are 3.9s because it suuuuuuuuucks

Bama seems to be the authority on everything ford, so i guess i'll call them and pick their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Bama really badly hosed up some Coyote tunes, I wouldn't bother with them. I got a tune with an extensive list of flags changed, idle, redline, coolant fan temps, IMRC delete, PATS removed and the latest firmware flashed for $270.