Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Irradiation posted:

The people thinking this is some how related to Yellowstone are dumb, but this series of earthquakes legitimately is occurring along a fault that leads right next to an old volcanic area and there has been a cluster of quakes right there as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/4uYcahz2wykk6opH6

We are all connected in the great circle of life :mufasa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm begging for the earth to open up beneath me and swallow me whole, OP.

pink floyd - the great goatse in the ground

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Goodbye CA. The prophecy will be fulfilled! CA will be taken down and the rest of the states will live long and prosper.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Didn't even stop playing Civ6. It was fun though, like airplane turbulence.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nooner posted:

I'm actually looking forward to the big one when LA will finally break off from the rest of the state and I can live out my dream of surfing a tsunami along side the 101 and then jumping off the board and punching Steve buscemi on the face

You don't need a tsunami on the 101 to go and punch Steve Buschemi in the face, my dude.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

Khazar-khum posted:

You don't need a tsunami on the 101 to go and punch Steve Buschemi in the face, my dude.

Steve Buschemi looks like he was punched in the face a lot already.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

actually the true source of the earthquakes is, there's some hippie lady from cali who comes to hawaii to charge her crystals at a heiau for blood sacrifices. she says she gives offering but the only appropriate offering at this site is human sacrifice. so the mana of the place is chasing her, and it will drag california into the sea to get its pound of flesh.

californians, the only way to save your homes is to drag her out of her house cut out her heart at sunrise, aztec style. viva aztlan

I thought y'all's hoarder god was Pele?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kazak posted:

I thought y'all's hoarder god was Pele?

the thing about polytheism is, sometimes if you piss off one god, the rest will get together and gently caress you up

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Irradiation posted:

The people thinking this is some how related to Yellowstone are dumb, but this series of earthquakes legitimately is occurring along a fault that leads right next to an old volcanic area and there has been a cluster of quakes right there as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/4uYcahz2wykk6opH6

Unless there's a snoozing cousin of Krakatoa there not much to worry about, the only important things within 100 miles are the national parks, not really anything else the rest of us would miss.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

the thing about polytheism is, sometimes if you piss off one god, the rest will get together and gently caress you up

Someone yesterday was telling me that taking poo poo off the islands is a big no no because Pele is clingy and will totally use that broken seashell someday man, she needs it for a project

Tony Snark posted:

Unless there's a snoozing cousin of Krakatoa there not much to worry about, the only important things within 100 miles are the national parks, not really anything else the rest of us would miss.

Unless its one of those volcanoes that spits out a bunch of ash for hundreds of miles and covers everyones monitors

Kazak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mooey Cow posted:

It has been said that during the strongest earthquakes, the ground itself can be seen to move like waves moving across plains. That sounds cool as hell so hopefully now that cameras are ubiquitous, someone can capture this phenomenon.

My mom was in Santiago when the 8.0 MW 1985 earthquake hit in Chile, and the yard moved like ripples in a pond. Also the electricity poles exploded and some trees fell down.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kazak posted:

... a bunch of ash for hundreds of miles and covers everyones monitors

That happens more often than rain in this state.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Tony Snark posted:

I'm definitely not worried and likely nothing will happen but I think it's interesting. I'm only an arm-chair vocanologist, but assuming any new volcanic activity did occur there it would probably be cinder cones which would give cool pictures like this:

The prevailing winds of that area would likely carry ash over Vegas though so that would suck if you live there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yellowstone is a supervolcano that erupts every 600,000-800,000 years. It last erupted 640,000 years ago. If it was to erupt again at the same size as the last one 90,000 people would be killed instantly, everything east between Canada and Mexico would be covered in meters of ash, and millions would starve due to the lack of sunlight and complete destruction of America's agricultural heartland.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McGavin posted:

Yellowstone is a supervolcano that erupts every 600,000-800,000 years. It last erupted 640,000 years ago. If it was to erupt again at the same size as the last one 90,000 people would be killed instantly, everything east between Canada and Mexico would be covered in meters of ash, and millions would starve due to the lack of sunlight and complete destruction of America's agricultural heartland.

There’s also the long valley supervolcano in california. Hail satan!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

McGavin posted:

good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now that's a great plan for retirement!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McGavin posted:

That owns

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

McGavin posted:

The world would come to America's aid :) giving us all the burgers and steakumms we need to weather what is clearly an assault against democracy by mother nature herself.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kazak posted:

The world would come to America's aid :) giving us all the burgers and steakumms we need to weather what is clearly an assault against democracy by mother nature herself.

Skittles and Vienna sausages make you forget those troubles double time!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kazak posted:

I doubt it. Crops would fail worldwide due to the lack of sunlight from the ash, so the starvarion would be global. When I said millions would die, it's probably more like hundreds of millions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just like how the eruption of Mt. Tambora in 1815 caused the year without a summer in 1816, the eruption of Yellowstone would cause the decade without a summer and cause a global cooling cycle for about 1,000 years.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Earthquakes are terrible, but that is part of living on the fault. The other part is fires, but that's just how it goes.

There was a big, bad one in 1989 or thereabouts. The 'big one' will come. Takes another 100 years, give or take.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

McGavin posted:

Just like how the eruption of Mt. Tambora in 1815 caused the year without a summer in 1816, the eruption of Yellowstone would cause the decade without a summer and cause a global cooling cycle for about 1,000 years.

So much for global warming :smuggo:

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

SilvergunSuperman posted:

So much for global warming :smuggo:

We are all doing are darnedest, I'll have you know. It just takes time. Don't worry, it's coming. :cool:

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Didn't even stop playing Civ6. It was fun though, like airplane turbulence.

yeah, i live about 150 miles away from the epicenter. Hit pause for a sec on my game, said "huh, another quake" and waited like 10 seconds. Resumed gaming after it was over. Nothing even fell off a shelf or anything.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

McGavin posted:

Yellowstone erupts, and it sets off the CA faults, and awakens the New Madrid Fault.

C-C-C-COMBO!

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yellowstone erupts, and it sets off the CA faults, and awakens the New Madrid Fault.

C-C-C-COMBO!

Yellowstone isn't going to erupt any time soon because it has been fed many, many bodies. The next one in might make it go kaput, though. I'd watch out for that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am morbidly curious as to see the effects/damage of the New Madrid fault going off like it did back in uhh the very early 1800s, but mostly I DON'T because I loving live in Northeast Arkansas .
It'd be loving MAD MAX over here. Nothing is built to withstand earthquakes of any magnitude.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I fully plan on blaming the quake for breaking the glass on my picture frames, and not on my not paying attention to where I put them down while doing a big reorganization.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am morbidly curious as to see the effects/damage of the New Madrid fault going off like it did back in uhh the very early 1800s, but mostly I DON'T because I loving live in Northeast Arkansas .
It'd be loving MAD MAX over here. Nothing is built to withstand earthquakes of any magnitude.

Everyone is fine. Coastal living is always what it is. Inland, you're fine. Don't fret.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't believe in earthquakes. i'm a member of the steady-earth movement. "earthquakes" are tests of advanced military gravitational technology built in 1999 to steal resources from Saddam Hussein, now it's being adapted to disrupt legal medical marijuana grows in California and around the world

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vato posted:

Everyone is fine. Coastal living is always what it is. Inland, you're fine. Don't fret.

I can't parse this posting. Are you an earthquake truther?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Don't believe the lies you hear in the media about Big Earthquake.

naem
May 29, 2011

I am LUUKING for bigger earthquake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

soy posted:

There’s also the long valley supervolcano in california. Hail satan!

You're thinking of the Long Valley Caldera.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/long_valley/

https://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-81/Intro/facts-sheet/fs108-96.html