Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I’ll be staying with my girlfriend and her parents in Williamsburg. We are all flying in from Norway and have 0 experience in NY, but have been to Texas and California previously.

My mother in law loves Billy Joel and we’ll see him in concert, which should be the highlight of the trip. Other than that we have some sightseeing mapped out.

My questions are, should we be doing Uber/Lyft or is there an app for the yellow cabs? Is there a transit app for the underground or buses?

Anything we absolutely have to see while in town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open container
Sep 16, 2008
You can get a weekly unlimited metrocard for around $30 per person and never spend another dime on transportation. The subway is your friend, traffic on the street usually sucks really bad. I just keep a PDF of the subway map on my phone. You can get everywhere worth going just by the subway and walking. The routes can be a little confusing so study the map and make sure you're getting on the right train going in the right direction.

Must sees depends on what you're into as the city has so much to offer but I would recommend strolling around Central Park (especially the lower part, cool views of skyscrapers while in a beautifully manicured nature/garden setting), the Highline, Metropolitan Museum of Art (much more than a typical art museum, they have ancient Greek and Egyptian artifacts for example), and if you're into animals the Bronx Zoo is one of the best zoos in the world. The Cloisters is one of my favorite museums, medieval art in a castle on top of a mini mountain you gotta climb in northern Manhattan. Nearby Inwood is a cool neighborhood to explore. The coolest part of Manhattan is generally gonna be between Canal St and 14th St. Protip: avoid Times Square like the plague.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
If you have never been to New York, you should probably see Times Square at least once. It is usually mobbed with people, vendors, street performers, et cetera. Most of these people have no idea how to act/walk on a sidewalk, which makes it an unpleasant experience once you get over the spectacle of it. I would recommend visiting later at night (after 11PM) when the crowds have died down. It can be surprisingly pleasant to sit on the stairs above the tickets booth. Times Square is a major subway hub, so it should be pretty easy to pop in and out if you want; especially if you have an unlimited metrocard.

In a similar vein; if for whatever reason you want to climb the Empire State Building I would recommend doing it after midnight. It is open to 2AM. However there are better observation decks at 1 WTC (timed entry) and 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I also think there will be a new one opening at Hudson Yards which is supposed to be pretty nice.

I second the Cloisters. I believe a ticket also gets you into the Met proper. Unfortunately they now charge admission to non-NY residents. Book online in advance to bypass the lines.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I use Curb for yellow/green taxis and CityMapper for subway stuff. Note: Yellow cabs are not available in Williamsburg, they are green. Yellow cabs pick up in Manhattan, green in Brooklyn/Queens etc. Neither green nor yellow cabs are on Uber/Lyft.

Central Park is a "must not miss" thing. You can spend 2 days there.

Coney Island is a fun place to go. It's a crowded beach with amusements, snacks etc. The subway goes there.

Visit Wall Street on the weekend. Has a weird vibe.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Just use google maps for subway directions. Seconding a weekly unlimited metro card for this trip.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
In case you haven't gone yet, you should definitely check out some stand-up at eg. the Comedy Cellar if that's your thing.

Also, make sure to get some peanut butter M&M's since you can't get them in Norway.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
There's an reclaimed train track that's now a walking path / art exhibit called The High Line that was really cool.
Also, I didn't do the full Statue of Liberty tour because I didn't have enough time, but I did take the free Staten Island ferry, buy a beer and look at it from a distance.
The United Nations tour was awesome.
There's also a huge amount of professional sports in NYC, which ones would be in season would depend on when you're there. Right now it's hockey (Rangers and Islanders) and basketball (Knicks and Nets), with baseball (Yankees and Mets) starting in April.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
if you're here in the summertime, I recommend taking the east river ferry on a weekend morning to Governor's Island and then riding the perimeter of the island on rented bikes. There are no cars on the island and it's perfect for a leisurely ride.

edit: lol just realized that this thread is from last july

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 27, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Polo-Rican posted:

if you're here in the summertime, I recommend taking the east river ferry on a weekend morning to Governor's Island and then riding the perimeter of the island on rented bikes. There are no cars on the island and it's perfect for a leisurely ride.

edit: lol just realized that this thread is from last july

Well I'm planning to head to New York for a week soonish, so thanks for bringing it back up!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I'm planning to head to New York for a week soonish, so thanks for bringing it back up!

If you're expecting the area to be chilly at this time of year. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Governor's Island doesn't open until May 1 unfortunately