Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Real talk, there's no way the traitor isn't Radmar, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Yeah it's def Radmar

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

No reason to let anyone think we're suspicious of anyone tho.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Outrail posted:

No reason to let anyone think we're suspicious of anyone tho.

See, this guy gets it.

Also, you are of course my bud in every game Outrail, it's just that our goal of washing the old world away in the blood of tyrants is uniquely mutual this time.

PS In honor of our nascent destruction of the aristocracy, I made baguettes. They are delicious.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I dunno, man, breden's way eager to start a revolution she was too chicken poo poo to participate in.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

spacing in vienna posted:

I dunno, man, breden's way eager to start a revolution she was too chicken poo poo to participate in.

I'm fading in and out, but it seems to me she was originally more of a direct action/civil disobedience level, whereas we've rocked past her into full-on "burn this poo poo" and she's been struggling with doubts to keep up.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Tied, B wins the coinflip

quote:

"Breden…until I find out who did betray us, I'm not ruling anyone out."

quote:

Breden's face hardens. "I thought I'd earned more of your trust than that, Hyland. drat it, how do you hope to lead this band without relying on anyone?"

You keep your voice and eyes steady. "I'll rely only on people who prove themselves trustworthy. The stakes are too high for me to make an exception for my friends. Even close friends."

"Close friends? Xthonos burn you, you brainsick clod-kicker. You're no friend of mine." She stalks away.

Looking down the trail after her, you meet Radmar's eyes. The big helot nods with grim approval.

quote:

You fall back through the group until you find your father, walking with some of his old t'Keriatou plow-mates. "Well, you've done for us proper this time," he calls sourly as he sees you coming.

"Just wanted to make sure you were well, Father." You give an apologetic look to his friends, who walk away, chuckling, to leave the two of you alone.

"For the moment, aye." He waits until the rest are out of earshot; you wonder whether the tremor in his arms stems from fear or the yearning to thrash you bloody. "And I'm sure I'll be well until the moment the Theurges scorch us all to ash. What by Xthonos do you think you're playing at? You may have saved a few foolish boys and girls from a Harrowing, but you've condemned every helot here to death."

"We're not going to die, Father." You try to keep your voice calm and assured. "We know these woods and hills better than any Theurge—we can stay out of their reach. And now we've done what every helot in the world talks about doing. As we spread the word, the others will start to join us."

Your father snorts with reverberant scorn. "How did I raise such a madwoman? Child, the helots of the Hegemony aren't going to rise up and join you. Even the helots of Shayard aren't going to join you. If they should hear about our little revolt, they'll tell stories about it to make them feel a little better—someone, somewhere is standing up to the Theurges. But they won't take up their scythes and axes and come looking for us. They won't trade the chance of being bled in a Harrowing for the certainty of being killed as rebels."

"Our neighbors and cousins here did," you insist. "This is the chance to show how weak the Thaumatarchy really is. We're strong enough to build a new, just order."

quote:

"Order? Is that what you call what happened just now? 'Cause to me, it looked a lot like a mob doing as it pleased." Your father sighs raspily. "Madness. Thank the Angels that your mother isn't here to see her own child lead us all to our deaths."

"Don't bring Mother into this." You keep your voice offhand. "There was an apothecary in town when she fell ill. His tinctures could have cured her, if you'd brought him."

"What?" The old man halts, too shocked to cuff your ears for insolence. "You…that apothecary was visiting to serve our Keriatou masters, you damned imp. What do you think would have happened if I had knocked on the aristarchs' door and pleaded for their charity?"

"They probably would have had you beaten half to death for insolence. Or…they might have had one of their fits of mercy and sent the herbalist." You turn and lock eyes with your father. "So did she die because helots can't afford an apothecary, or because you were too afraid to ask the aristarchs for one? Either way, it's a damned shame."

The jagged silence hangs between you for a long time. "Ten years you've been waiting to say that to me?"

"I've been waiting to say a lot of things. Not just to you." You stalk off toward the rest of the group. "From now on I won't be holding them back."

quote:

"Captain Gytha?" Zvad's voice is barely audible over the patter of raindrops on the sodden tent canvas.

You hug your damp woolen cloak around you, hacking phlegm from your throat and thinking forlornly of past winters when you could light a proper fire. "What news, Zvad?"

The Whendish outlaw lowers his hood and scratches his gloomy, mud-streaked face. "The watch says a Theurge just flew by, heading southeast toward the Rim. Probably didn't see us—even if it weren't raining, the tree canopy here is solid and the cooks aren't making smoke. Most folk are well settled in for the evening. Including the sick. Did you want us to strike camp?"

You know that Zvad respects your rules—and one of those rules is to move on immediately if there's any chance that a Theurge or any other enemy might have identified your bandits' location. Still, his reluctance to strike camp in the cold, drizzly twilight is clear. Others (not least your father) will be much more noisily discontented. You wonder how many unpopular decisions you can take before someone challenges your authority.

You don't want the band to get complacent, but you also recognize that Zvad is right: it's unlikely that this particular Theurge will have seen you, even if she or he was looking for you. Surveying the sodden camp, you decide it can wait until dawn.

quote:

Yes—it's important to have clear rules, but it's equally important to know when an exception is justified. You don't want to be like an Alastor, sticking to the letter of the rules even when it hurts your people more than it protects them.

Zvad visibly relaxes and runs his hand through his matted black hair. "Wise choice, Captain."

"It's bloody cold, and we're all soaked through." You try to remind yourself again of how many wintry hours you and your fellow helots have spent in no less sodden rags, rousted out before dawn to plow or weed or haul timber in the rain. There's nothing new about what you're feeling now. But at least back then there was always a fire to come back to.

quote:

A grand bonfire, the one thing no aristo in the Rim would begrudge their helotry. With roasted gourds and yams, a scrap of pigeon, a cup of hot water…things to balance out the cold humors, get your thickened blood flowing properly again. Still, you force out the words, "We've lived through worse winters than this."

As Zvad turns to leave, you add, "Have you got the archers standing ready, in case that Theurge comes back for another look?"

"They're ready, don't worry. And I'll make sure they stay ready till it's too dark to shoot." Zvad ducks low enough for the battle-scarred maul strapped to his back to clear the tent doorflap. Not for the first time, you're hit by the incongruity of the craggy Whend accepting your leadership—he's twice your age, incomparably more experienced, and could probably snap you in half.

quote:

In general, it's strange to have so quickly become the captain of a gang of bandits. When you encountered the Whendward outlaws deep in the wilderness a week after your revolt, you were sure that they would try to take over your group, not vice versa. But they turned out to be a demoralized and dwindling band; their previous leader had died of an ague four months before you arrived. The story of your rebellion against the Thaumatarch immediately seized their imaginations.

With your charisma and eloquence, you quickly won their loyalty. The fact that you're not much of a fighter was, surprisingly, not a major obstacle; the bandits were hungry for leadership that went beyond mere combat advice.

You'd expected them to be anarchic, domineering, and bloodthirsty. After all, you were raised on cautionary tales of Xaos-loving brigands and their atrocities. You'd even wondered if (like some of the barbarians outside the Hegemonic borders) they would refuse to accept your leadership simply because you're a woman.

But these men and women aren't villains—just desperate former helots fleeing death sentences or starvation. Nor are they yet rebels, save by the authorities' condemnation. They're only inspired to escape the Hegemony, not bring it down.

A - I've shared with them what drives me—the things I truly loathe about the Thaumatarchy.
B - I've thought it wise to feign a different motivation.
C - I've tried to keep my motives a mystery.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C seems good to me but I helped wreck a great friendship with my last vote so now I'm second-guessing everything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FoxTerrier posted:

See, this guy gets it.

Also, you are of course my bud in every game Outrail, it's just that our goal of washing the old world away in the blood of tyrants is uniquely mutual this time.

PS In honor of our nascent destruction of the aristocracy, I made baguettes. They are delicious.

Well thank God it wasn't a cake :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
A fuk the thaums

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A - might as well tell the truth

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A

Why would you keep it a secret. Sharing your grievances can only help stoke the flames of rebellion.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

LLSix posted:

A

Why would you keep it a secret. Sharing your grievances can only help stoke the flames of rebellion.
I think the option's mostly for a noble character that's secretly in it for money and power, or maybe a character who goes all-in on atheism and maybe doesn't want to be known as the atheist rebel in a society that's still heavily religious, etc.

quote:

I've shared with them what drives me—the things I truly loathe about the Thaumatarchy.

quote:

They know you, and the world will know you, for who you truly are: Shayard-loving, and utterly determined to break the power of the Hegemony.

And thus you find yourself the captain of a band of outlaws. Knowing that you would have to rely heavily on your second-in-command, you chose:

A - Zvad, because of his long experience of battle and banditry.
B - Zvad—because I suspect Breden betrayed us.
C - Zvad—because whether or not Breden betrayed us, I don't trust her judgment.
D - Breden, because of her charisma, quick wits, and natural leadership skills.
E - Breden—because even though she likely betrayed us, I prefer to keep my enemies close.

Sorry for the scare updates recently, I was away from the computer with this save on it for a few days.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
D

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A We've got charisma covered so we need someone who can fight as our second. Even if Breden isn't a traitor and hadn't decided to be an rear end, she doesn't add anything useful.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

LLSix posted:

A We've got charisma covered so we need someone who can fight as our second. Even if Breden isn't a traitor and hadn't decided to be an rear end, she doesn't add anything useful.

This checks out.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B- we need to keep the outlaws we've joined up with onside. Having one of their own as 2IC will help with that. Also he's got strategic experience that compliments our leadership talents. Having two talky types who can't fight leading the pack while the rest toil at our feet screams of the sort of system were trying to wash away (with a river of nobby blood).

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

LLSix posted:

Even if Breden isn't a traitor and hadn't decided to be an rear end

To be fair, I am pretty sure we were the rear end with that choice. Even if Breden is a traitor that was the worse possible thing to say

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pretty sure we turned one traitor into two with that foot in mouth comment.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

quote:

A - Zvad, because of his long experience of battle and banditry.

quote:

Zvad knows more than you ever will about surviving as a bandit, and he was a famous weapon-for-hire for years before he turned outlaw. Everyone in the band respects the big, quiet Whend; if he had the ambition or charisma to put himself forward as a leader, you're sure you'd be advising him. You want everyone to know that all your decisions are made with the counsel of the most competent outlaw in Whendward.

Breden accepted your decision—in light of her failure to stand up to Chirex in Rim Square, she could hardly do otherwise—but you could tell it stung her to be sidelined in the rebellion she'd started to build. She's remained surly since you told her you consider her a suspect. You've watched her closely for any sign of insubordination, but although some of her friends are cool to you, she doesn't seem to have been actively undermining you among the former helots.

In any case, it's a good thing you have a reliable deputy—because you're having to face some choices that you had never imagined in your daydreams of rebellion.

quote:

You leave the sleeping area and walk up to the Ablers' camp. The sound of coughing is muffled but still audible from yards away. Inside the tents, at least twenty children are huddled around the small tea-brewing fires, with a handful of parents tending the most frail. Two elders lie curled under thin cloths, alongside several other grown outlaws. Those known to have consumption have their own tent, but the quarantine is partial at best.

Everything is damp—if not sodden—and despite the best efforts of the healers to keep it free of foul humors, the area has a pervasive smell of mildew, threaded faintly with blood and vomit.

You pass two invalids conversing quietly in the language you've encouraged the camp to use:
A - Shayarin—the Old Tongue that survived the Karagond conquest.
B - Koine—the Hegemonic common tongue. Not all of your outlaws are Shayardene, after all.
C - Whatever they're most comfortable with. I've not tried to steer them either way.

Yes, we're back! I've been traveling/working a lot and living in either a tent or a hostel for the past few months so I had to let this go, but now I'm home for a while and feel like picking it up again. Until I run out of time/motivation again, anyways.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Congrats on surviving tentland and slaying the dread scourge of the curse.

B, encourage rushing the new language that will allow us to talk to other parties but dont be a dick about it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Outrail posted:

Congrats on surviving tentland and slaying the dread scourge of the curse.

B, encourage rushing the new language that will allow us to talk to other parties but dont be a dick about it.

Agreed with all of this.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

A deny the oppressor the chance to strip our people of their native tongue

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B. We need to put pride aside and focus on what is advantageous. The more people who know the language of the enemy, the more likely our guys can pick up a little Intel as we roam about.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

quote:

Koine—the Hegemonic common tongue. Not all of your outlaws are Shayardene, after all.

quote:

Only the most rural of your bandits struggle with Koine. Everyone from Rim Square grew up speaking it in the market, the temple, and to the authorities. There's no other language that would allow your Whendish followers like Zvad to be on the same footing as everyone else.

You feel a moment's satisfaction when you realize that the invalids you're overhearing are a sick Whend swapping jokes with a helot elder from the Rim. We're one band. But the gladness is fleeting.

Two more sick since yesterday, you note bleakly. One is Poric Weller, who has yet to recover from the Pelematou's torture and has been in and out of the sick tents for weeks. Radmar sits beside him as usual, but today he's coughing nearly as much as anyone else in the tent, even while cradling Alless Stonehewer and whispering some song to her in a husky voice. Both the sleeping Poric and the girl are turning the color of old ash, with their bones plainly visible.

Hiding your shock at their deterioration, you wave to Alless, who squeezes Radmar's arm and breathes, "It's Captain Gytha."

Radmar waves glumly to you; his voice shakes and cracks as he struggles to keep from coughing. "Captain. Come up with a plan yet that gets us eating again?"

"The orders will go out today," you say with forced confidence, and lean down to speak to Alless. "I was hoping to see you recovered by now, little sister. We didn't rescue you from the Harrower just to lose you to an ague."

"I'm not going to die," Alless says softly, her eyes aglow with fever. "I told my father yesterday. Never break a promise."

quote:

Old Joana Orchard is less gaunt than the others, but she still struggles to sit up as you approach. "Gytha," she says, her usual asperity half-lost in a wheeze, "what have I told you about coming down here? What will the band do if you take ill?"

You shrug, crouching at her side. She used to greet your mother in the same tone, and you long ago learned to hear the affection in it. "Follow Zvad until I'm better again. I could use a rest."

"Always such damned cheek from you," Joana growls, dissolving into coughs as she waves you away. "Come pester me when I'm well, Captain."

You cross the tent to join your friend Terret Abler, whose healing skills have been stretched to their limits in the last few weeks. He acknowledges you with a nod, his usual good cheer entirely gone. "Where do we stand?" you ask tersely.

quote:

"With everyone on reduced rations, the rains and cold are pushing them over the edge," Terret replies, scratching at his untrimmed beard. "Some of the elders were consumptive already, and it's spreading. We still can't make a real fire for them, Captain?"

"A fire might be death for all of us, with the Theurges hunting." Despite the vastness of the Whendward wilderness, it's no easy task to keep what amounts to a small village hidden from Hegemonic eyes. "We just had one fly over."

Terret glances up at you sharply, but relaxes when you shake your head: you won't be moving again tonight. "Still, we're in bad shape, Captain. When we do need to move fast, we'll need more mules than we have now. At least seven of them. More and more of my charges are too weak to climb unaided. If the enemy does come after us, we'll hold back the rest of the band."

He has a point. But the band only has eleven mules in all. You've assigned four to Terret; and if you keep rations as they are, another seven or eight mules will likely be needed for the weekly barley run. Depending on your raiding intentions, you might need more to carry the loot your raiding parties recover.

A - We can't spare any more mules, Terret. I'm sorry."
B - I increase the number of mules assigned to the sick.
C - Actually, I want to decrease the number of mules to Terret.

Alright, now we're actually starting to hit the meat of the game. The first major story arc is trying to survive the winter, and it involves juggling lots of numbers that all boil down to "we don't have enough of anything and we're all cold and starving and half the band has pneumonia and nobo- oh Angels is that a Theurge recon flight run run RUN!" I'll give a quick rundown of what the key resources are and let us set some initial priorities now, although as the situation changes we'll obviously adjust.

Food: People need to eat. Thankfully, we managed not to piss off the merchants too much and there are enough of them willing to smuggle us grain (for an exorbitant price) that we can reliably buy food every week if we have the cash. However, regularly sending supply runs into town increases the risk of the authorities catching on and ambushing that week's food run, or even worse following them back to camp. Our other main option is raiding, which we'll go into more detail on later. The food budget will almost always be pretty tight unless we do extremely well, and feeding everyone three full meals a day will be very tough. Healthy bandits on less than full rations will run the risk of becoming sick (higher risk the lower we go), and sick bandits on less than full rations will run the risk of dying (higher risk the lower we go). So, the important thing to decide right now is -
2. How do we ration our food?
D. Full rations for all
E. Full rations for the sick, subsistence rations for the healthy
F. Subsistence rations for all
G.Subsistence rations for the sick, three quarters rations for the healthy
H. Three-quarters rations for all

It's possible to step down below even three-quarters rations if we get REALLY desperate, but those settings are for when you're really truly desperate and pretty much lead to mass starvation. Hopefully we're never forced into them.

3. How will we personally be eating?
I. Full rations, it's important that the leader is always operating at full capacity
J. Same as everyone else
K. As little as possible, it's important to conserve food and set an example

Mules: The second-most important resource after food, you need mules to move things. We'll need mules allocated to the sick so we can break camp and GTFO when we're inevitably spotted, mules allocated to the food run to carry back any grain we're buying from the merchant smugglers, mules allocated to the raiding parties so they can carry back food and loot, and we'll probably even end up fencing mules for money when we need to. Mules are critically important and we'll never have enough of them no matter how many we beg/borrow/steal (although it never hurts to try), so it becomes a game of what to prioritize. Do we want to keep the sick under-muled (or even take all their mules away?) and gamble that we won't be spotted early so our limited starting mules are all available for food/raiding? Do we want to play it safe and sacrifice food/raiding to make sure that we can always break camp ASAP? Some unhappy balance? We can adjust our mule allocation every week, so it's possible to gamble just for a week or two that we won't need to move to free up mules, don't worry about setting camp mules to zero one week meaning we'll be stuck immobile the entire winter. We currently have 11 mules.

Bandits: Manpower. They keep eating all our food, the ungrateful fuckers, but they're also the main tool for getting more food. Healthy adult bandits can be sent on all manner of missions throughout the winter, although the most immediately relevant is sending them out on raiding parties to steal expropriate grain and cash and mules, or recruiting missions to spread the word and bring back volunteers. Recruiting more manpower means we can get more done, but also obviously means more mouths to feed. We currently have 144 adult bandits.

Arms: Actual military/Alastor grade forged steel weaponry. We're making due mainly with wooden staffs/clubs and a few bows, good enough for intimidating isolated farmers into giving us their poo poo but not much else. If we want to go toe to toe with the Alastors or noble-grade garrisons without taking heavy losses, we'll need real metal weaponry. We don't have any hookups for buying smuggled arms (yet), so if we want more our main source is gonna have to be raiding garrisons and stealing their poo poo. We currently have enough weaponry to properly arm 10 bandits.

Children: These little shits are even worse than bandits, they keep eating our food but can't even contribute in return. They're good for morale or something, I guess, also if we feel like it we can probably have them do things like play with spikes and snares and deadfalls to go set traps through the woods in case anyone comes in after us. More seriously, yeah kids are a definite hassle to take care of but them dying is REALLY bad for morale and they can pitch in as a force multiplier on certain activities we send adults on. We can try to dump some kids on sympathetic helot camps to get them out of our hair, although their parents probably won't be too happy about being not only separated from their kids but sending their kids back into the very slavery we're all out here trying to escape. We currently have 178 children to care for in the band.

Morale: What is says on the tin. Bad morale will make people less likely to go along with our plans, and if it gets bad enough we'll see deserters or maybe even traitors (well, more than we already have at least). Good morale will make people more likely to go along with the things we want, and make our bandits fight better. Morale can be improved by putting everyone on full rations, certain story events, and successfully striking back against the Hegemony to prove that you're a real rebellion and not just a bunch of starving peasants slowly freezing to death in the woods. Morale is currently poor.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 3, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So we have too many sick people and kids and not enough food. What's the go on a very modest proposal?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Unthinkable. Of course, what's unthinkable now and what's unthinkable after you haven't eaten in two weeks are very different things....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

Unthinkable. Of course, what's unthinkable now and what's unthinkable after you haven't eaten in two weeks are very different things....

Patience is a virtue, I guess.

A
E
J

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
AHJ resort to modest proposal as soon as it os is possible.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A
E
J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We could always compromise and eat the merchants gouging us on food prices. It's important to get your money's worth.