Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hello fellow wh2000k posters, with the launch of AEW and the news/mainstream attention its bringing I've been thinking about how people perceive this the perfect sport. In the past in threads people have commented on how they would be mortified to wear a wrestlers t-shirt in public or converse about a sick piledriver they saw, Understandable its a fake sport after all. I'm mostly bringing this up as a.) I'm bored at work (please talk to me im so bored), b.) i only wear wresting shirts to work at my retail job so i talk about wrestling to strangers a lot, and c.) past discussions of this always interested me.

Twenty minutes ago one of the baristas at my local coffee place was asking about my njpw shirt and seemed very into what I was saying about it. Maybe they will tell me about a sick poison rana they saw soon...

Also post the good merch i need new clothes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I wear a lot of SPLX and other wrestling shirts that aren’t super obvious that they are wrestling shirts

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Stone Cold shirts were back in vogue in the Calgary hipster scene

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Also the best wrestling shirts are found here: https://www.threadless.com/discover/s/Mabson

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

Also the best wrestling shirts are found here: https://www.threadless.com/discover/s/Mabson

Oh hell yah

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
i went to a night club in a daniel bryan t shirt once and people were very complimentary so I say go for it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I mostly wear wrestling shirts at wrestling events, but I do occasionally put them on.

I keep it to myself at work, though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally, I only wear New Japan Pro Wrestling shirts, so that when people inevitably ask me about Japanese wrestling, I can do all of my favorite gestures and catchphrases, like telling them to "suck it" as I violently gesture towards my phallus zone.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think online wrestling merch stores should design and sell an entire section of intentionally very subtle merch, and that it would be worth the cost and time, in terms of opening up an extra bit of the market. not many millions, but possibly 1 million. buyers. or more. this is not just because some people are embarrassed about wearing wrestling shirts because it's wrestling, but because it looks bad, artistically. i believe a side-effect of this section of merchandise would be that it would often look less bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cavauro posted:

i think online wrestling merch stores should design and sell an entire section of intentionally very subtle merch, and that it would be worth the cost and time, in terms of opening up an extra bit of the market. not many millions, but possibly 1 million. buyers. or more. this is not just because some people are embarrassed about wearing wrestling shirts because it's wrestling, but because it looks bad, artistically. i believe a side-effect of this section of merchandise would be that it would often look less bad.

Like a t-shirt that says "I'm not a wrestling fan, honest"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I've been a wrestling fan for 28 years but only ever worn wrestling t-shirts as a kid or when I used to Backyard Wrestle.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Oh right I cut up the Naito "Cabron" shirt and use it as a back patch.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I've got some shirts that only see the gym, but I do have some signed event posters/ wrestler shots on my cubicle walls at work

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I don't see this fandom as something shameful, and I'd happily wear, like, a lion mark NJPW shirt or AEW logo shirt or Bullet Club in public

But a wide, wide majority of merch for individual wrestlers is just absolutely tacky as gently caress and I'd never wear it unless I was going to a wrestling show and specifically wanting to show my support for that person

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I used to be the only person at my job that was a fan (or at least an open fan). I was able to convert two of my co-workers, now the 3 of us go to our local indy every month. I wish I could get them into NJPW but they seem pretty content with WWE / NXT right now.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The only wrestling shirts I own are an OSW What Bar? t-shirt and an NWO Wolfpack t-shirt. I wear them whenever because the What Bar? shirt can pass as a non-wrestling shirt and only the nerdiest of fellow wrestling geeks get it. As for the Wolfpack shirt, I get a lot of "Too Sweet"s from strangers but now I'm worried that non-wrestling fans will think it is Q-Anon related or some poo poo.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

My Speedball Mike Bailey has Korean writing on it not Japanese like I assumed. Thank you stranger for talking shop with too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i only own one t-shirt it is the stone cold steve austin one where his arms are rattle snake heads and i wear it any day i am not working.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've got the Daniel Bryan "Respect the Beard" "I Said Yes" and the "Yes Movement" shirts. I've got 2 LIJ shirts, Kenny Omegas 8 bit bullet club shirt and a Bullet Club tanktop. I did have to explain to my parents that Los Ingobernables de Japon was not a gang thing.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i have an F4W/WON shirt, an Okada, Best Friends, Bruiser Brody, Bret Hart, and LIJ. I wear them around because I dont give a poo poo and they're all cool designs

Just don't buy hideous, gaudy wrestling shirts that are embarrassing to wear. This goes for every WWE shirt and most shirts on PWT

there is nothing wrong with pro wrestling, but being embarrassed by it makes non-fans think there is, because it must really be poo poo if even the fans are embarrassed by it

This goes for actual professional wrestling, not sports entertainment. Basically dont be ashamed of liking something if that thing is actually good

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I have 2 El Generico shirts and a Prince Devitt shirt that I will wear regularly. I hate having to hear the same arguments about "You Know It's Fake, right?" whenever I watch Wrestling in a public place.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Anyone use wrestling terms in casual conversation? Can't count the number of times I've said "heel turn" "bunch of marks" and "keeping kayfabe" especially when talking politics.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've used the terms 'sold' and 'no-sold' in casual conversation before.
Also if I were the sort to wear slogan T's I would absolutely rock the A Boy and His Dinosaur T-Shirt because I am gigantic loving nerd and I'd rather have people unfamiliar with the brand think that it's a Dinosaur Jr concert T or something rather than being a part of 'Tapout badass' culture which seems cover like 90% of wrestling Ts out there.

Well that and the "Tapout Badass' aesthetic is exactly who I am not.

As far as whether I'm ashamed or not, well I have invasive thoughts telling me to be ashamed of everything I do and everything I am but they're just that, invasive. gently caress them.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 28, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bartok posted:

Anyone use wrestling terms in casual conversation? Can't count the number of times I've said "heel turn" "bunch of marks" and "keeping kayfabe" especially when talking politics.

I refer to bad guys in films as "heels", it drives my wife mad.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Been enrapturing my co-workers with the life and times of Orange Cassidy. If that doesn't work I show them highlights of that Shingo/Osperay match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Love your newsletter, Mr. Meltzer :)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dell_Zincht posted:

Stan Lee did this in 1960s comics. Daredevil would be thinking to himself "I'm a real heel for doing this to poor Foggy but nobody can know that mild mannered blind lawyer Matt Murdoch is really Daredevil". It's weird.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The term predates its use in wrestling from memory, I'm pretty sure if was the "nice" way of calling somebody (or yourself) a shitheel, which effectively meant you were an rear end in a top hat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

'baby face' and heel are both slang words from before organized wrestling took them on, that stopped being used for anything else because that happened a ton in the 1800s to early 1900s

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I haven’t worn or owned a wrestling shirt since I was 14 and wore my APA shirt (“Breaking Necks, Cashing Checks,” not “Always Pounding rear end,” thank Christ) to a SmackDown taping and a couple dudes where were probably in their late-20s started giving me poo poo for liking the Acolytes in the concourse. My little brother’s Hardy Boyz shirt went unremarked upon.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

bartok posted:

Not so much in 'casual conversation', but I've found that a lot of wrestling terms are useful for discussing fiction and storytelling.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

bartok posted:

"mark" is an infinitely useful word that applies in all walks of life. There will always be chumps, so there are always marks

i say "for a shoot" a lot too

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I bought a ryback rules shirt from rugged wearhouse, and hell, he does rule

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I local froyo chain still has access to Ryback froyo cakes, so my wife gets me one every year. Everyone loves the big cake

[NN]Darel
Jul 10, 2003
I OWE OZZ-FACTOR MY LIFE (read:account lol)
I did the crate from Pro Wrestling Tees for a while and got a couple of shirts that I'll wear regularly. People seem to like the "wear this shirt in the worst town you've ever been in" SCU shirt whether they know about it or not. For every one good shirt I got, there were two or three absolutely awful ones that may as well go in the trash, however.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'll frequently wear my Tanahashi Iron Will tank top in public, but the Sanada one I have is too small for me.

I kinda want the Breathe with the Switchblade shirt as well, even if gently caress YOU SWITCHBLADE.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my old boss used to wear wrestling shirts almost exclusively. it was kind of embarrassing to me that i worked for a man who, in his mid 30s, wore jorts and nxt schwag, but he owned the place so if he wanted to wear a booty-o's tshirt to interview the governor, that was his prerogative. tbf, politicians should have to contemplate the meaning of "booty" while being interviewed

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Guy in our training dept. at work wears basically only WWE shirts. And like, relatively current ones. He's currently got a lovely Orton one and the Ronda 'Piper' style one in heavy rotation. Otherwise a few guys in the office wear Bullet Club or Elite shirts sometimes.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

my old boss used to wear wrestling shirts almost exclusively. it was kind of embarrassing to me that i worked for a man who, in his mid 30s, wore jorts and nxt schwag, but he owned the place so if he wanted to wear a booty-o's tshirt to interview the governor, that was his prerogative. tbf, politicians should have to contemplate the meaning of "booty" while being interviewed

destroy the hierarchy of clothes and liberate yourself from this thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Cavauro posted:

'baby face' and heel are both slang words from before organized wrestling took them on, that stopped being used for anything else because that happened a ton in the 1800s to early 1900s

much like the "inside" term for "person of colour" that persisted to a regrettably late date