Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I actually had this conversation with my mom recently. There's this really good candy/bakeless cookie(?) recipe in an old church cookbook and I told her we're probably the only people who have any knowledge it exists anymore. All the submitters are probably dead or close to it, most cookbooks just sit on shelves and truthfully a good chunk have them have probably all been tossed by relatives cleaning their effects after they died for what was a very limited production anyway. Just kinda neat to think about

And that right there is why I collect church lady cookbooks. All those recipes that would otherwise be lost (and it's also fun to see people's different variations on the same type of food). I love how woefully incomplete some of them are, too, as if the people who submitted them just take it for granted that you'll know what size pan to use, or how long to bake something. Like, those are the recipes that were handed down through someone's family and whoever submitted them can do them from memory, so of course they don't need to give full instructions for someone preparing the dish for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arrhythmia posted:

Uptown Funk

Nah, it wasn't quite so hamfisted. It also looked like it was shot with like a super 8 or something or had some effect added to make it seem that way. The singer is a short dude, curly black hair. The song might not be in English. Spanish or Portuguese maybe?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

And that right there is why I collect church lady cookbooks. All those recipes that would otherwise be lost (and it's also fun to see people's different variations on the same type of food). I love how woefully incomplete some of them are, too, as if the people who submitted them just take it for granted that you'll know what size pan to use, or how long to bake something. Like, those are the recipes that were handed down through someone's family and whoever submitted them can do them from memory, so of course they don't need to give full instructions for someone preparing the dish for the first time.

I wonder if Project Gutenberg might be interested in this kind of thing. I know that my local state library is super keen to add obscure/small press local publications to their collection, even going as far as to collect protest signs from certain significant protests

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This was most of my grandmas recipes. I also had to translate them from german to english and wonder why she used dekagrams through out. Is that common in the metric world? I thought most just used grams or kilograms. She also contributed to a small local cookbook Womans Club of the Danube Swabian Society of Chicago. Recipes in there range from "combine these ten cans and bake" to excellent christmas cookies and meals. There is also the occassional list of ingredients and no instructions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

my family cookbook has recipes from my great grandmother with stuff like "a pinch of sugar" annotated by my mother with notes like "to test whether the pie is ready, insert small knife one eighth of an inch from the crust to a depth of half an inch and..." and it is really just adorable how they clash :allears:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ZombieCrew posted:

This was most of my grandmas recipes. I also had to translate them from german to english and wonder why she used dekagrams through out. Is that common in the metric world? I thought most just used grams or kilograms. She also contributed to a small local cookbook Womans Club of the Danube Swabian Society of Chicago. Recipes in there range from "combine these ten cans and bake" to excellent christmas cookies and meals. There is also the occassional list of ingredients and no instructions.

I think dekagrams were commonly used in Austria (and possibly parts of southern Germany). I've never seen them in my mother’s various cookbooks (some of which I inherited).

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Zopotantor posted:

I think dekagrams were commonly used in Austria (and possibly parts of southern Germany). I've never seen them in my mother’s various cookbooks (some of which I inherited).

Well that would make sense. She lived in Austria and Romania among other places in that region before immigrating to the US. Thanks!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

deca and deci get short shrift

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ZombieCrew posted:

Using weights for recipes makes such good sense

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ZombieCrew posted:

In Scandinavia, the units hekto (hektogram=100g) and deciliter (100 ml) are common.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
there's either a movie, show, or a dream i had:

it's set during the dust bowl, and the parents (or just the mom) of two kids just straight up peace and never come back. the kids are left to fend for themselves.

i have a super clear memory of a shot from the back of a covered wagon looking out at the house as the parents are leaving. there's a weird twist at the end where it turns out the kids were an old married couple all along or some poo poo?? i do not remember a single thing that happens between the beginning and end.

i log every movie i watch on letterboxd and it's not there afaik. so i'm starting to think it was either an episode of some anthology show or i've just made it up

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

R.L. Stine posted:

there's either a movie, show, or a dream i had:

it's set during the dust bowl, and the parents (or just the mom) of two kids just straight up peace and never come back. the kids are left to fend for themselves.

i log every movie i watch on letterboxd and it's not there afaik. so i'm starting to think it was either an episode of some anthology show or i've just made it up

Not a lot of match, but there's not a lot of beautifully shot dustbowl in modern media: Episode 1 of Carnivale has a mother peacing out and a son being left in a dustbowl shack, then being picked up by wagon and bonding with youngsters.

Also a solid show (Clancy Brown having a great old time!).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can confirm Carnivàle is a great show. I'm ready to watch it again. Clancy motherfucking Brown!

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

I'm trying to find an old site from ~2013 or so (if it still exists) that was basically a full-screen 90s weather channel simulator, stylistically similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXGYf3uTrw

I vaguely remember the URL referencing "current conditions" in its domain. Does anyone remember this?

[edit] vvv thank you!

ardiem fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sounds a lot like a website version of WeatherStar 4000 (see https://www.taiganet.com/).

A quick search based on that led me to this old reddit thread asking the same question, and confirms it's been offline for a while, but also points to a few alternatives still up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat I loved CurrentConditions, I bet if I had been a more faithful fan it would still be up today :ohdear:

I remember Macintosh Librarian running a Twitch stream of weather channel/vibes music at some point a few years ago but I think that was a test run and not a permanent thing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The actual origin of this quote:
https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1779940612411990151

Googling it just turns up a bunch of pinterest/tumblr reposts of it. I don't know if it was ever actually said by a human being (obviously it's like #relatable #content enough that maybe someone made it up ten years ago)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The actual origin of this quote:
https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1779940612411990151

Googling it just turns up a bunch of pinterest/tumblr reposts of it. I don't know if it was ever actually said by a human being (obviously it's like #relatable #content enough that maybe someone made it up ten years ago)
the source is a deleted Tumblr. https://www.tumblr.com/bread-goddess/100549298305/when-people-say-this-is-my-baby-they-dont the "via" link is the op which is deleted. i don't think there was ever a source besides that deleted Tumblr, as their original post wasn't made with any context.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I remember a children's illustrated book with, I'm assuming, medieval marginalia come to life. This would be in the eighties. There were headless men with a face on their torso. Possibly also monks. I would have read this in dutch, but it seems such a british sort of topic that this might be findable anyway.

E: Probably this then

quote:

In William Mayne's 1987 children's book The Blemyah Stories, a family of Blemyahs spend a year in a medieval priory, carving stories from wood.

Still as confused now as then reading the summaries of it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 18, 2024

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flipperwaldt posted:

I remember a children's illustrated book with, I'm assuming, medieval marginalia come to life. This would be in the eighties. There were headless men with a face on their torso. Possibly also monks. I would have read this in dutch, but it seems such a british sort of topic that this might be findable anyway.

E: Probably this then

Still as confused now as then reading the summaries of it.

that's tough as the headless men (they have lots of different names) are a trope going back to Herodotus, and tons of later authors have connected them to Prester John myths, i.e. monks. There are tons of versions of them. If you said "my book had a cyclops" in it, that's about as specific.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Looking up the book and seeing examples of some of the pages, there are bits of marginalia going on around the story.
https://www.abebooks.com/first-edition/Blemyah-Stories-William-Mayne-Walker-Books/2103325687/bd

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, in this thread I probably shouldn't say it's probably this when I know positively that it is this book. It is that book.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I have a "help me identify an album" that I have been trying to figure out for years.

In 2004-2005 my wife and I had just started dating. One of our firstish dates was to a tiny independent theater called The Palm in San Luis Obispo CA. Before the movie, they raffled off a CD (I believe it was a new release).That album became part of our early relationship soundtrack for road trips, sitting at the beach at 3am, and making up after nasty fights. I lost the album sometime and I would love to get it back.

Acoustic singer songwriter, male, kind of a faster paced style on some songs, lilting on ballads? The album art was black linework on a white background. I believe like a detailed city skyline kind of, lots of intricacies.

I associate like, the end of the world or the apocalypse to one of his love songs, maybe a whale on another one?

He was probably a local guy that never did anything again but this has plagued me for like 15 years.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Target Practice posted:

I have a "help me identify an album" that I have been trying to figure out for years.

In 2004-2005 my wife and I had just started dating. One of our firstish dates was to a tiny independent theater called The Palm in San Luis Obispo CA. Before the movie, they raffled off a CD (I believe it was a new release).That album became part of our early relationship soundtrack for road trips, sitting at the beach at 3am, and making up after nasty fights. I lost the album sometime and I would love to get it back.

Acoustic singer songwriter, male, kind of a faster paced style on some songs, lilting on ballads? The album art was black linework on a white background. I believe like a detailed city skyline kind of, lots of intricacies.

I associate like, the end of the world or the apocalypse to one of his love songs, maybe a whale on another one?

He was probably a local guy that never did anything again but this has plagued me for like 15 years.

Have you tried humming a song into Google’s hum to search?

EDIT: SLB acoustic-ish album from 2004 with a song about a whale

https://youtu.be/Ls6bdjVxLqc?si=9uBZss-nB0up-AC6

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 19, 2024

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Have you tried humming a song into Google’s hum to search?

EDIT: SLB acoustic-ish album from 2004 with a song about a whale

https://youtu.be/Ls6bdjVxLqc?si=9uBZss-nB0up-AC6

Nah, that's not it. Honestly it's been so long neither my wife and I can remember a drat tune. I think we were just so fuckin' despressed in our 20s that we blocked out almost everything.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Target Practice posted:

Nah, that's not it. Honestly it's been so long neither my wife and I can remember a drat tune. I think we were just so fuckin' despressed in our 20s that we blocked out almost everything.

I’ll throw out Damien Rice’s 9 because it’s from 2006, very depressing at times and has a lineworky album cover. Probably not it, but I got to rediscover a great album today!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm1rF55IvA&pp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

please help me

its a very short video from more than 10 years ago, the soundtrack is Dreams by Gabrielle (the 1993 song), it shows a ken burns zoom/pan of a photo of a some kid jumping like a frog to bite into one of many burgers hanging from strings. sort of like bobbing for apples but the opposite. he looks really happy to soon be biting into a burg. hes wearing blue jeans and i think a green t-shirt. brown hair in a kind of mid 90s bowl cut ish? hes in a driveway, and you can see grass next to it.

i dont think its in portrait format so i assume it predates vine

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Target Practice posted:

I'm from that area and was in the music scene around then, let me rattle off some names of local and local-ish folks

Sparrows Gate
Jake Brebes or Threes and Nines (it would be wild if it was Jake because he was in my wedding, but the line-art sounds like Jake's drawings)
Briertone
Watashi-wa
Ethan Burnes
Casey Meikle
Neon Joseph
Adam Pasion
Chandler

I can think of more if it's none of them

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 19, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

This sounds a little ridiculous but could it be The City Skyscape?

It's an album that was a white whale for a friend of mine that we recently got a copy of. He had the first track saved for years and the big Myspace crash erased the rest of the album from the internet. Neither of us are sure what year it's from. I have the digital tracks on my USB drive at home, and even if it isn't this I should probably get to uploading it.

The timeframe may not match up though, because "Myspace" makes me think 2008 but you mentioned a monochrome cityscape, and it's a one-man singer-songwriter album, so...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Could it be The Decemberists - Picaresque?