Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the first computer i built had an athlon xp 1800+ and a radeon 9700 pro. it ran wow very good :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

heck yeah, my second at one point had a 9500 pro with support to clock to the 9700 range. those cards were beasts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i had an athlon gently caress yeah

but this new ryzen looks like it owns. when i get home i’m gonna visit cpubenchmark.com or whatever and see how it will dominate my current processor

i5.4690@3.5mhz is what I have :smugmrgw:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the new ryzen looks good but the problem with amd has always been the motherboards are trash. idk what the sitch is these days

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i had an athlon gently caress yeah

but this new ryzen looks like it owns. when i get home i’m gonna visit cpubenchmark.com or whatever and see how it will dominate my current processor

i5.4690@3.5mhz is what I have :smugmrgw:

3.5 millihertz probably doesn't get much done op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

heck yeah, my second at one point had a 9500 pro with support to clock to the 9700 range. those cards were beasts

:same:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
my last and computer was an original sledgehammer opteron, lol.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

the new ryzen looks good but the problem with amd has always been the motherboards are trash. idk what the sitch is these days

That was mostly a consequence of amd farming out their chipsets and having tons of problems as a result. With everything being embedded in the cpu now and the motherboard mostly just being traces with uefi strapped on its a lot harder to gently caress up like in the old days

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
yeah, things like ULi chipsets and chaintech motherboards just simply don’t exist anymore.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i went from an athlon x4 or whatever to haswell. i can’t imagine needing to do anything where my i5 haswell cpu isn’t good enough for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my compy is dying, folks. its got an old as gently caress i5 and my gtx 1070 is dying also. i have already had to turn off multi core in the gpu kuz one of them is dying or somrhing and some poo poo on stack overflow said to do it and it worked. now its occasionally crashing costing my precious starcraft 2 points that i frankly cant afford to lose. its amd season boys. more power!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
got both my past 2 gfx cards used and i think they got abused by some drat 'coiners... my compy is a battered cards shelter

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its a pretty good time to buy a computer probably since memory and ssds arent at full gouge pricing anymore

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i went from an athlon x4 or whatever to haswell. i can’t imagine needing to do anything where my i5 haswell cpu isn’t good enough for me
I’m stuck in a special hell where my E3 Haswell is still practically a lateral move to Zen 2 other than core count and I got an itch to build something, but I can’t justify spending just so i can run more operating systems simultaneously for no productive purpose other than because i could.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
coffee lake looks like poo poo op and intel can't make a 10nm part that's more than 25 watts or less than 50% disableable gpu lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel just announced that ice lake is coming to mobile by the end of the year. I guess no new iMac Pro update this year, unless they go amd (they won’t)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
*adds more beef to rig*

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

But I just built my 8086 like a year ago time to throw it away and go red again

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ive never owned an amd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no longer a point of pride but more one of bigotry akin to saying you’ve never hosed a black person

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

no longer a point of pride but more one of bigotry akin to saying you’ve never hosed a black person

hmm

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Smythe posted:

got both my past 2 gfx cards used and i think they got abused by some drat 'coiners... my compy is a battered cards shelter

you’re doing gods work homing and rehabilitating those cards

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

But I just built my 8086 like a year ago time to throw it away and go red again
an 8086k? if so that’s a unicorn like the 5775C. ebay that poo poo to some fool then.

if not, then lol. nasa might need it for spare parts.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

m8

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pram posted:

the first computer i built had an athlon xp 1800+ and a radeon 9700 pro. it ran wow very good :hmmyes:

hell yeah athlon buddy. that was also my first built-myself PC. infact it was also an Athlon XP 1800+ but i think i had a visiontek xtasy Geforce TI 4200. some extremely good bang for the buck those days. that was also the last time I had an AMD

was gunna upgrade my computer sometime this year since i have a 6700k and cpu is more limiting on games these days compared to my gpu. i'm actually considering the new ryzens/amd for the first time in like 17 years. i haven't followed hardware for many yearas, anyone whose followed cpus n poo poo, is it worth risking an AMD or should i play it safe with an intel 8700k or 9700k? or is it still too early to tell?

what about mobos, whose making the best mobo these days? i have some issues with my giga-byte z### something that idk if i'd get a gigabyte again

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the problem with ryzen 3000’s is that the vrm quality actually might matter at least a little bit due to precision boost overdrive, which is like a speedstep/turbocore auto oc thingy and i still haven’t sussed out what’s what on that front, so good luck, really.

you can save money going with x470/b450 so long as the bios has been updated for the new parts. but again, that’s also hard to know for sure.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
also, skylake i7 to zen 2 is a lateral move at best when it comes to games. if you’re really limited by that 6700k, i don’t think a zen 2 is gonna help much. you might need to be looking at those 5GHz 9900k’s if you’re certain.

also alternatively, stop playing battlefield 5 if that’s what’s screwing everything up, it performs like dog poo poo on any reasonable hardware and that’s the one I hear everyone complain about.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm probably going to be going with an RX 590 rather than a GTX 1660Ti so: maybe AMD is good again?

:shrug:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Laslow posted:

an 8086k? if so that’s a unicorn like the 5775C. ebay that poo poo to some fool then.

if not, then lol. nasa might need it for spare parts.

lol i just checked, used 8086ks going for 600 usd.

hmmm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I like the chip pinch logo

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I got a 9700k because I paid 0 dollars over the 9600 for it due to an error, and got a 2070 for 200 dollars off too.

Both of these parts make no sense and are extremely illogical but I lucked out and own them anyway. Don't buy intel atm.
Goddamn a 5ghz 8 core blows my mind tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Laslow posted:

also, skylake i7 to zen 2 is a lateral move at best when it comes to games. if you’re really limited by that 6700k, i don’t think a zen 2 is gonna help much. you might need to be looking at those 5GHz 9900k’s if you’re certain.

also alternatively, stop playing battlefield 5 if that’s what’s screwing everything up, it performs like dog poo poo on any reasonable hardware and that’s the one I hear everyone complain about.

yeah BF5 was actually what i was thinking of but it does seem like my gpu is sometimes not fully utilized and i'm trying to eek out 120-144FPS and hitting lower than i should for some reason.

but ok, good to know it's not really an improvement.