Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
let's get these out of the way:

cwtch – welsh word for hug that also means "tiny cupboard". it's a hug that's like a home. (people say it rhymes with "butch" but I think they just want to avoid drawing attention to its similarity to "cooch" (which is slang for, a lady's pudenda))

hiraeth – welsh word similar to saudade or sehnsucht, referring to a profound sense of longing for a place and time that will never be again

kintsukuroi – japanese word generally translated as referring to something that's more beautiful for having been broken

wabi-sabi – japanese word for beauty in imperfection

callipygian – arguably an english word but derived from the ancient greek kallípugos; means having an exquisite butt

mamihlapinatapei – a famously difficult to translate word romanized from the yaghan language of tierra del fuego, which refers to an expressive but meaningful silence shared between two people who each understands and knows the other understands what is not being expressed vocally but neither is willing to go beyond the shared moment of mutual silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I learned wabi-sabi from King of the Hill.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

kecske posted:

perkele, the ultimate all-purpose utility swear

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Shpilkes. I have shpilkes all the loving time, and there's no better word for it.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Cubone posted:

kintsukuroi – japanese word generally translated as referring to something that's more beautiful for having been broken

wabi-sabi – japanese word for beauty in imperfection

kintsugi is great cause the method for repairing broken vessels/bowls was to use lacquer impregnated with gold/silver. it gives the object a history to discuss during a tea ceremony, which relates to Wabi Sabi since the 'broken' object, typically a tea bowl, would be contrasted with a newly acquired cup or work of art.

it's also the best way to understand the concept of treating precious objects as already broken or destroyed, thus allowing for a greater appreciation of them in their present state.

this has been a presentation in how much Japan thinks about pottery

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think its NEIN

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 31, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'll always be fond of ausfahrt.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Xaintrailles posted:

I have been hoping for years for a chance to use saudade in conversation.

a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.

So...WoW Classic?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
kalsarikänni is the finnish term for getting drunk alone, in your underwear

it roughly translates to "pantsdrunk"

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

iSimian posted:

So...WoW Classic?

Ichhabenochniewarcraftweltgespielt.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
sacowea

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
"Not my problem"
http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/not%20responsible-1.html

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Högertrafikomläggningen

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cubone posted:

let's get these out of the way:

cwtch – welsh word for hug that also means "tiny cupboard". it's a hug that's like a home. (people say it rhymes with "butch" but I think they just want to avoid drawing attention to its similarity to "cooch" (which is slang for, a lady's pudenda))

hiraeth – welsh word similar to saudade or sehnsucht, referring to a profound sense of longing for a place and time that will never be again

Can't cover Welsh without the "slang word that's most likely never actually used" of 'popty ping' (the oven which goes ping - a microwave).

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can't cover Welsh without the "slang word that's most likely never actually used" of 'popty ping' (the oven which goes ping - a microwave).

The Welsh for ironing is smwddio. Pronounced smoothio.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
farfignugen

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Galado, which one could translate to "Cum-faced". Usually refers to a dishonest person, used endearingly between friends.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

To whomever is issuing these probes (because it doesn't say on the app), please be aware that the c-word is also very commonly used as a (crude) slang term for "vagina" in the same way "cock" is almost always used as a slang term for "penis", and in this instance is obviously being used without misogynistic inference.

At any rate, my favorite non-english word based entirely on phonetics is "blitzkrieg" (lightning war or lightning battle) because ever since hearing it on the History Channel in the '90s I just thought it sounded rad. For actual meaning, l'esprit de l'escalier (staircase wit) refers to the great comeback or insult you come up with too late after you've already left a negative situation.

pelea conmigo

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
verschlimmbesserung is good because it sounds funny and also has a meaning that would commonly be useful in modern life (an attempt at improvement that instead makes things worse, ie. every software update for anything ever is verschlimmbesserung).

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
dummkopf is a fun one to call people at work.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Labes for days posted:

Schadenfreude

There’s a lot of really good German words tbh, German’s a language that manages to sound both jolly and scary, often simultaneously.

My favourite one too, both for phonetics and for meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Benny Harvey posted:

Ja is pretty formal. Informal there's jo, tja, ge, nöa (sp? It's the weird Saxon one borrowed from Czech). Plus I'm guessing lots more regional ones.

My favourite German word is probably vertrinken which means to spend your money on alcohol. Honourable mention goes to backpfeifengesicht which means a face you want to slap.

People have suggested kurwa, cyka and blyad so far but I think the best Slavic swear is chuj. It means cock but there's just something so forceful about it.

i have a german friend who shook their head at me when i said jaja as a response to something, apparently it's very dismissive?

oval office is still a good word so I don't mind being probed for it - it's all about context!