Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
big news!
This poll is closed.
spams racist emotes 78 15.92%
what the gently caress are you talking OP?eat poo poo 163 33.27%
spams racist emotes 88 17.96%
goku 161 32.86%
Total: 296 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Honky Dong Country posted:

Lol if you think I'm putting even the slightest amount of thought into this poo poo. (Other than "yeah that sounds pretty stupid")

Also I think somebody earlier in the thread said this little wiener already makes more than Tom Brady.

The thing is, the times we live in now it could just as easily be true (though the amount is a bit high) as a marketing campaign for a new platform. I dont think MS actually has a billion readily available to deploy on one dude though, and plus it's just a poor investment, he's not even old enough to run for president yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

:shrug: It really wouldn't surprise me to see a company be that loving stupid. Paying people to play video games in general is pretty drat stupid imo.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The thing is, the times we live in now it could just as easily be true (though the amount is a bit high) as a marketing campaign for a new platform. I dont think MS actually has a billion readily available to deploy on one dude though, and plus it's just a poor investment, he's not even old enough to run for president yet.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Okay?

I wasn't making some galaxy brain point. People are dumb and do dumb things with a lot of money. Companies too.

I'm also not arguing that him getting a billion is true. It just wouldn't shock me.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The fact that it's false only makes it more true imo.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Yeah I know I hate that too.

edit: Webcomics, I hate webcomics.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 2, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only thing more useless than Twitter is parody Twitter.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Ninja, please

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

big nipples big life posted:

the only people dumber than the people paying someone else to play video games are people who believe Microsoft paid a streamer a billion dollars.

Pets.com.twitch

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
This Ninja dude proves one thing to an absolute certainty: money can not make you cool no matter how much you have

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

This Ninja dude proves one thing to an absolute certainty: money can not make you cool no matter how much you have

ah yeah i was on the fence before when all we had was bezos and elon musk

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Physical fitness has always been pretty important though. Screeching at a video game not so much.
Brain damage may be an admirable life goal for some but I'm not so sure it's what I want to aspire to.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

Brain damage may be an admirable life goal for some but I'm not so sure it's what I want to aspire to.

You realize that not every sport involves regular head trauma, right?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

With his personality, they do

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/product-alert-ninja-just-launched-170000398.html

Wow is there anything this talented young man CAN'T do??

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sure but with their test scores it seems like a requirement to get involved, heyooooo.

But seriously there's a lot of money in e-sports and even government athletic visa's put them in the same umbrella. I don't know how many more years you can shake your fist at their existence before it has officially become an old man yells at clouds thing but if it helps you can try to consider it the same way you would think of pro chess/go/other more traditional non-athletic games that achieved a following.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't think believing something is dumb really qualifies as old man fist shaking.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I don't think believing something is dumb really qualifies as old man fist shaking.

so what do you like to do for fun

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

so what do you like to do for fun

Read, archery, play pool, I also play games myself.

I also think people getting made obscenely rich for those things is dumb and it's fine if people don't enjoy those activities too.

What's the point you're trying to make?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

It does when it comes from being out of touch. It's like complaining about music or fashion these days, all sorts of flimsy reasons someone sticks to for why they think the current trends are dumb but really at it's core is it's just something that came after them they can't relate to. Whining about e-sports is quintessentially old man yells at clouds. The battle has already been lost, the future is already laid out in our youth's dreams to become youtubers and streamers, there will be new trends after but right now we're looking into growth and acknowledgement of those scenes.

Like have you talked to a kid lately? They idolize these guys. I could ask my students this weekend if they have heard about this and I bet every single one will have and have an opinion on it too, it's us olds going "wtf is the OP about".

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So your argument is based on it being a current thing? Like I said, I think making somebody rich for playing any game is dumb. It being a trend has nothing to do with my opinion.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

So your argument is based on it being a current thing? Like I said, I think making somebody rich for playing any game is dumb. It being a trend has nothing to do with my opinion.
I don't think I've seen you in sports related threads getting all huffy about the income of the players. Posters who do that get made fun of for obvious reasons.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I said I think a thing is dumb. I don't think I'm the one getting huffy here, dude.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's okay to laugh at the skinny nerdlinger with baby blue hair who makes money playing video games by getting twelve year olds to hand over their allowances with mom's credit card.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Most major professional sports do:
Soccer, football, hockey, rugby

Honorable mention to the 95mph baseball headshot.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

wide stance posted:

Honorable mention to the 95mph baseball headshot.

God these are always a sight.

Yeah plenty of em are bad for it. But then you've got stuff like basketball, tennis, golf (guess this kinda depends on if you consider this a sport or just a game), cycling, etc. Plenty of em have a pretty major following and players don't usually conclude their careers with severe brain damage.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
One time I was watching a fighting game tournament on Twitch and a guy died of obesity on camera, mid-competition.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

One time I was watching a fighting game tournament on Twitch and a guy died of obesity on camera, mid-competition.

FATality lamo

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

the golden age for streaming is 15-25 then 80+ so you can be a sweet old gaming grandma so youll have to wait awhile

for your age range id suggest ranting about muslims and liberals on you 200 biewer live show

The only streamer I really like is in his mid thirties and so are several of his streamer friends. He's not one of the most popular but regularly has around 1.5-2k viewers. He is a literal Abercrombie model, though, so ymmv.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Renowned news source Twitter.com.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Regrettable posted:

The only streamer I really like is in his mid thirties and so are several of his streamer friends. He's not one of the most popular but regularly has around 1.5-2k viewers. He is a literal Abercrombie model, though, so ymmv.

Who is this handsome fellow?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't think I've seen you in sports related threads getting all huffy about the income of the players. Posters who do that get made fun of for obvious reasons.

lol the unironic gaming is a real sport comment

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Who is this handsome fellow?

Anthony Kongphan. He legit seems like a good dude. Last year he raised $100k for St. Jude's by making all of his streams charity streams for 4 months straight. Also, one of his emotes is a photo of him that was used for the cover of a gay romance novel.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Whoa his name is ninja? But he's not REALLY a ninja, I can't believe you guys think he's a real ninja. Way to read Twitter. That's just his NAME! DUH! I'm way smarter.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Thx for telling me ninjaTM and mixerTM bonded over money

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Whoa his name is ninja? But he's not REALLY a ninja, I can't believe you guys think he's a real ninja. Way to read Twitter. That's just his NAME! DUH! I'm way smarter.

Are you okay my bro?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Hey so it's been two months and everyone guessed correctly, Ninja's (heavily diminished) fanbase just tunes in to Mixer to watch him and then immediately jumps back to Twitch so overall Mixer has actually reduced its hold. Much like with Epic Games Store, buying exclusives to try and force people to use your competing platform doesn't really seem to work.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/04/ninja-isnt-growing-mixer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Hes a ninja u cant even tell he's there