Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Creamed Cormp posted:

cool classism, bougie scum

Private property is cool and good. It's why I own three motor vehicles :smug: two Japanese cars from the '90s and a $1000 Ninja 250

On a similar topic, I also removed the wheel locks off of my car because I lost the key (and had to borrow one from my neighbor's car with the same pattern). However, there's a similar "might as well not bother" mentality among some people that say thieves will just jam a smaller socket on the locks and twist them off that way so it's not worth the hassle of keeping track of a key. I guess I probably would use them if I had really nice wheels, but my understanding is that wheel smaller than 19" isn't really targeted these days anyway (outside of recognizably expensive models).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

JK Fresco posted:

Wow it's almost like they're bad people and not perfectly rational actors

I'll agree they're not rational actors, but bad people? Junkies can be a major headache but they're guided by addiction, not maliciousness.

Now, people who blare lovely music from their sound systems just to get everyone's attention, those are bad people.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Kazak posted:

I'll agree they're not rational actors, but bad people? Junkies can be a major headache but they're guided by addiction, not maliciousness.

Now, people who blare lovely music from their sound systems just to get everyone's attention, those are bad people.

I'm engaged to a recovering addict. They're not a pad person, at all. Addictions are a hell of a thing.

That said both of us also have Those Car Stereos. It's a public service really, everyone wants 80s/90s hip hop at 350 watts. Don't even want the attention, but to sow confusion as to where exactly wu-tang is coming from

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Always. Yes they could break a window but why would they do the extra work and increased chance of getting caught when the idiot who parked next to mine left his car unlocked? Most thieves are lazy as hell.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
The city I live in has a lot of addicts, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have stuff taken from your car if you don't lock it, so I make sure to lock mine, and will go out and check on it when I make up in the middle of the night and can't remember if I did or not. For reference, we had 12 reported overdoses in 24 hr this weekend https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-overdoses-12-in-24-hours-1.5235842

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
When I lived in Richmond I had a house on Riverside drive just across a bridge from downtown on the back side of Bell Island, so I was in the middle of the city but in a secluded woodsy spot with a hidden alley that gave easy access to the back yard where the parking spot was. I found out real quick that the homeless folks liked to cross the bridge and bust into cars there because there was plenty of cover and ample escape routes if they got noticed. I'd leave the car unlocked end empty except for a few dollars in change in the ashtray, because if they didn't find anything worth taking they'd gently caress with your car or pee in it. Whoever had dibs on my alley would come through every Tuesday and clean out the ashtray change. I guess we reached a comfortable detente because there were a few times when I'd left my camera or a guitar in the car, and they'd just get the change and not take my stuff. Thinking back I kinda wish I'd thought to leave a little bagged lunch for them on Tuesdays as a "Thanks for not loving with my poo poo as much as you could" gift.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
i dont lock them in the garage but yes otherwise always

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I had my skateboard stolen out of my trunk and to this day I have no idea how they did it since my car was locked but nothing was broken.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I had my skateboard stolen out of my trunk and to this day I have no idea how they did it since my car was locked but nothing was broken.

I've figured out the mystery: your trunk was unlocked.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
up until this year, i've only owned vehicles so horrendously lovely that i've been able to leave doors unlocked and windows down. going to have to get used to that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arrhythmia posted:

I've figured out the mystery: your trunk was unlocked.

How would the trunk be unlocked if the car was locked? Think before you post you fool; YOU FOOL!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gaunab posted:

How would the trunk be unlocked if the car was locked? Think before you post you fool; YOU FOOL!

Correct answer: the thief had respec’d into wizardry.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

1redflag posted:

Correct answer: the thief had respec’d into wizardry.

I have another possibility. For the '79 malibu wagon I drove while younger, it was 100% possible to leave the trunk unlocked with the doors locked. Lotta old cars like that.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Space Race Riot posted:

I lived in a terrible area for a couple years long ago and the kids from the projects nearby would routinely break car windows out of spite. They wouldn't even try to steal anything, just huck a piece of pavement through your poo poo to make your life that much more miserable. Every car on the street was a shitheap cause everyone was barely scraping by. My car might've been the shittiest but it still got the treatment once. It really sucks to have to replace a window when you have no money whatsoever to spare. Also during this period a homemade bomb was placed under my neighbor's beat up K car. It was loud as hell but didn't do any real damage, though not for lack of trying. The fire Marshall said it was a mix of tinfoil and kerosene shaken up in a 2 liter pineapple soda bottle. Good times. Anyway I lock my doors. Well, the 3 of them that work. Passenger front door can't be opened since I got side-swiped awhile back. My car is slightly less lovely these days but I live in a better area and there's nothing in there anyone would possibly want to steal.

Wait but I was told that criminals are just rational actors in a pinch trying to get by...

Clearly you're lying.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Kazak posted:

Nah some junkies are just assholes. Most of them, in fact.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

JK Fresco posted:

Nah some junkies are just assholes. Most of them, in fact.

To understand all is to forgive all 😇

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Kazak posted:

To understand all is to forgive all 😇

Oh I understand them. I know it's fun to make other people miserable but that's not am excuse

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Nah, my car is a soft top with zipper/velcro windows so there's really no point. Someone goes through it every few months but there's nothing worth stealing in there. I also have a kill switch hidden inside so it'd be a little harder to steal the whole thing.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Not only do I not lock my door I always throw my keys to the first homeless vagrant I see and tell them to keep an eye one it till I get back. You gotta show people you trust them OP.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My car is accessible only through a hole in the floor. There's a sewer manhole on my street and I always park on it. Every morning I flush myself down the toilet and pop in my car like Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

JK Fresco posted:

Oh I understand them. I know it's fun to make other people miserable but that's not am excuse

I don't think that's why junkies act the way they do