Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
B.

Revision: Cold-proofing the Bellringers, to reduce jam likelihood,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Scuttlebunker + broadhead missile system = R.apid O.rdinance A.ssault R.obot

For when one rocket tube per soldier just isn't enough!

Also voting C: Artillery Base

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
Poor Belon :tif:

quote:

Bellringer Assault Rifle: Issue with lubrication+feed mechanism causes jolts (from landing) and temperature (from environment) to increase jam likelihood.

Revision Proposal

It would seem that our primary weapon needs some TLC in the lubcrication+feed mechanism department.

NEXT STEPS

We've taken out a good chunk of the their air support.
We've captured a cache of decent anti-personell mines.

I wonder if we could get some intel from our orbital platform or drones to determine how favorable the terrain is for C: Take and Hold: The Artillery Base

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C, we've definitely got to deal with the artillery. The main problem I see with an assault, however, is getting bogged down in a minefield. The minefield here very nearly ended us, and we were only saved by the fact that we managed to keep the artillery spotters off of us while we worked our way through it. Assaulting the artillery base, there's no need for spotters and the guns can happily tear us apart while we try and blaze a path through the minefield.

So, how do we defeat a minefield? We could try and modify the APC's to tank a mine or two and keep going, but I'm honestly not very confident in our ability to come up with a hasty field mod that can tank an anti-tank mine. AT mines are usually, uh, hard to tank, it's right in the name. Something that can eat multiple heavy armor-piercing mines and keep rolling sounds like a custom-designed platform, not something we can slap together as a modification. But what we can do I bet is come up with a minesweeping sensor suite for the drones, whether it's ultrasound or ground-penetrating radar or a magnetometer or whatever the modern minesweeping technology is. Have the drones at least roughly chart the minefield so we can drive through the safe(ish) paths and mostly avoid hitting mines in the first place rather than trying to tank them. Alternatively, maybe a flail attachment to put on the front of some snowtreads? That would only work if they're pressure-sensitive mines, though, any deeply buried magnetic mines or whatever would still own us.

So for now I'll propose the:
Revision: Minesweeping Suite
Outfit some of the drones with whatever minesweeping sensors we can make work, rip out the recon sensors and create dedicated pioneer drones if we have to

I'm not married to it or anything, maybe a better idea will come along, but for now I think it's our best bet at getting through the minefield. It would be nice to fix our rifles, that's the obvious revision, but I don't think having 15% less jammy rifles matters very much if we never get to use them in the first place because everybody died getting stuck in a minefield.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 1, 2019

Khamsin
Jul 23, 2019
:siren: EMERGENCY UPDATE :siren:

Intel Report: Artillery Base
The artillery base is, from what Orbital recon tells us, an encampment built around the main rail line. It features multiple batteries of some kind of artillery and a few multiple rocket launchers. This is a military complex, so four blockhouses, two for each entrance, guard it. The sides without track entrances are artificially built up to make access difficult. You're unsure if they have more kit inside the numerous hardened military structures. Forces are a mix of security (Good guns, but more akin to police) and paramilitary (hardy militias who blew you up with mines and torched you with flame throwers.)

Intel Report: Train Lines
The railway lines are heavy-duty things that pass through the snowy mountains as level as they can get it, but approaches to the nodes of each line are usually uphill. Long, level stretches of line would make for fast moving trains and perhaps some difficulty recovering cargo, but the slower uphill segments are close to bases. In addition, along the lines are some small machine shops and stations, in case of breakdowns. These would almost certainly fold without a fight due to their small size and lack of people, but the trains almost certainly can just fuel and repair at major bases.

Intel Report: Staying Put
The tempo is in your hands right now, but ceding it to the enemy has benefits of its own. For one instead of coordinating the front, you can work on some new designs. Two, you could reinforce your current position against counterattack. Three, no matter your course of action, patrols and drone recon will give you much better, eyes-on intelligence, rather than sattelite pictures. Four, oppourtunities may present themselves from enemy action. However, be careful letting it slip too far, commander, as the enemy almost certainly has some tricks up their sleeve.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We don't happen to have any locomotives nearby we can requisition, do we? Locking the throttle to full open, filling it with mining explosives, and letting it just slam into the gates would be a hilarious way to crack their defenses at the artillery base.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

F
jameson sure was a soldier, yep

now, the next course of action absolutely has to be >C<
it may be the most difficult course of action and will probably cause the highest friendly casualties than any other mission available to us right now
however if we don't do it we're gonna lose a lot more troops over the course of the entire operation - getting yote by shells the entire time we're in-theater sounds like a
r e a l
b a d
i d e a

i am not committed to any specific tactic here, though, but we gotta get that fuckin' arty

noting that we have a drone swarm, no matter how garbo, means we have better intel than similar forces, so sitting on the ol' meat butts doesn't seem like a good idea

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

Khamsin posted:

Intel Report: Artillery Base
The artillery base is, from what Orbital recon tells us, an encampment built around the main rail line. It features multiple batteries of some kind of artillery and a few multiple rocket launchers. This is a military complex, so four blockhouses, two for each entrance, guard it. The sides without track entrances are artificially built up to make access difficult. You're unsure if they have more kit inside the numerous hardened military structures. Forces are a mix of security (Good guns, but more akin to police) and paramilitary (hardy militias who blew you up with mines and torched you with flame throwers.)

I'm wondering if we might be able to make of "The sides without track entrances are artificially built up to make access difficult." Depending on what this means, I wonder if we might be able to fit a cadre or a few squads with the decent mortars we captured. If we tried a surprise night attack, we should have information superiority with our drones to lay down some hopefully effective mortar fire.

• With some good target calling, I can't imagine the more "akin to police" security are going to be motivated to put up much resistance against an enemy they can't see.
  • Manning batteries and rocket launchers while mortar rounds are dropping isn't the easiest thing in the world.

And then there's the landmine problem.

I like cyro's idea for a minesweeper revision to our drone kit - as long as we can retain some recon/target calling capablity. Maybe something like what these lads came up with: https://www.inverse.com/article/53087-drones-landmine-detector

quote:

The secret to the new method was the discovery that, since mines heat up faster than the surrounding nature, they may be more easily detectable using thermal cameras. Mounting these sensors on drones also gives them a better point of view, and keeps sweepers from having to enter an unmapped minefield. But there’s still work to be done.

Khamsin
Jul 23, 2019
To clarify: imagine a square. Top and bottom are where the entrances are: railway track and roads. The sides are essentially rammed-earth and concrete artificial cliffs. Old timey castle poo poo.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

Khamsin posted:

To clarify: imagine a square. Top and bottom are where the entrances are: railway track and roads. The sides are essentially rammed-earth and concrete artificial cliffs. Old timey castle poo poo.

can you tell us more about the mortars we captured?

Khamsin
Jul 23, 2019

ShuckyDucky posted:

can you tell us more about the mortars we captured?

Sure.
There are two kinds: light tubes which are essentially just a baseplate, tube, and a ruler painted on the side. These will only fire HE. One man operable, but probably needing another man to carry ammo.

Then there are bigger tubes which have full sights, a bipod and baseplate, and have wider varieties of shell. HE, flares, smoke, but also White Phosphorous, Napalm-X, and a laser guided shell clearly meant to be paired with the Super Lark light helicopters they were using as spotters. These are a three man deal.

You have small quantities, enough to arm a small weapons group with but not enough to spread around. Maybe around Company level?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Do we have smoke rounds for the mortars? obscuring vision-based detection further works in our favor as our armor is far better vs. alternative detection than theirs is

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Revision Proposal: Upgrade the Drone Network for the purposes of mapping out minefields, giving them the capability to perform ground- and snow-penetrating scans that detect metals and/or explosives.

We attack C: the Artillery Base

Tactics Proposal: Scan the areas around the Artillery Base for buried mines capable of destroying our A3Ts (using our upgraded drone network, if possible), then sabotage the railway(s) leading from the Artillery Base to Mine #3 where enemy reinforcements can arrive quickest. Before the enemy can repair their broken rails, send out a train from the Paramilitary Base loaded with explosive charges and ram it into the Artillery Base at full speed just as our troops are mounting their assault.

Someone please suggest what we do with the Scuttlebunkers we have to either help us clear the mines or to help us get inside (or over) the walls of this place and I will support their ideas.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

Lux Animus posted:

Someone please suggest what we do with the Scuttlebunkers we have to either help us clear the mines or to help us get inside (or over) the walls of this place and I will support their ideas.

Perhaps we use the skuttle bunkers as firing position for the bigger tubes with 3-man (company level) teams)

Khamsin posted:

Then there are bigger tubes which have full sights, a bipod and baseplate, and have wider varieties of shell. HE, flares, smoke, but also White Phosphorous, Napalm-X, and a laser guided shell clearly meant to be paired with the Super Lark light helicopters they were using as spotters. These are a three man deal.

Captain Foo posted:

Do we have smoke rounds for the mortars? obscuring vision-based detection further works in our favor as our armor is far better vs. alternative detection than theirs is

With three man mortar teams we have a variety of ammo types available to us

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Could we adapt the droneswarms to act as spotters for the three-man-mortars?

Khamsin
Jul 23, 2019
No adaptation necessary EXCEPT for those guided shells. No lasers mounted on the drones. Mortars on scuttlebunkers is more of an adaptation, however.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
The 3 man mortar sounds similar to the M252 Mortar. That mammer jammer has an effective range of 5,935 meters - a tad over 3.5 miles - and HE rounds have a kill radius of 35 meters.

Adapting our drones to laser spot would let us rain down a lot of hurt accurately, quickly, and from a safe distance.

Edited to add:

Some drone footge from an Armenian mortar attack on an Azerbaijan entrenched military position

Just to illustrate the mayhem that can result from accurate mortar fire.

ShuckyDucky fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Whats our enemy most likely to do after a devastating surprise attack?- I imagine these guys will now be reinforcing their poo poo as fast as they can and whats the fastest way of them doing that?

D: CB - Heist a supply train, infiltrate the artillery base

Cadre 1 (and our assassin ofc) infiltrates, mines or otherwise disables the artillery, shakes out and kicks it off, opening the gates in the chaos. Cadre 2 charges, behind now-minesweeper drones through the gates. Or tactics to that effect

Khamsim said its old timey castle poo poo, so I'm taking that as a cue to get medieval up in here

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 21, 2019