Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Number?
This poll is closed.
420 29 47.54%
69 32 52.46%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Put out all your fingers in front of you. Number them from 1 to 10 going left to right. Put down the finger you are multiplying 9 by. E.g if you want to do 9 x 6 you put down your right thumb, as it is sixth from the left. The number of fingers to the left of the number you put down is the tens place, and the number of fingers to the right is the ones place. In the example, you have 5 fingers to the left of your thumb and 4 fingers to the right, so the answer is 54.

Hey, awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If I have to add like 53 and 89 I will make one of them a round number and add.

89 becomes 90
53 becomes 52

Probably takes a bit to train your brain to do this but it’s instant for me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

My 4th grade teacher “taught” us multiplication by giving us ancient mimeographed sheets of problems that she’d had forever (we had to copy the problems on notebook paper and give her back the worksheets so she could torture the following year’s class with them). These weren’t like the standard times tables things you think of either, it was just day after day of 57 x 33 and 82 x 46 and on and on, no calculators, show your work, and every sheet had like 60 problems. It wasn’t math, it was loving busy work.

Then one day in 5th grade the teacher handed out a math worksheet and one of my classmates from 4th grade asked did we have to copy the problems over and the teacher looked at her like she was insane. But there were several of us refugees from that wretched 4th grade teacher’s class who all thought it was a legitimate question.

Man, gently caress that 4th grade teacher. I haven’t thought about her in years. She was one of those teachers who would take a child’s natural curiosity about the world and eagerness to learn and just crush it under the heel of her sensible teacher shoe.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

colachute posted:

If I have to add like 53 and 89 I will make one of them a round number and add.

89 becomes 90
53 becomes 52

Probably takes a bit to train your brain to do this but it’s instant for me.

I do the same but for multiplication too. Being able to even approximately guess the product of three digit numbers was real useful when I worked at grocery store and I essentially was a magical wizard to my coworkers.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I.C. posted:

Hey, awesome!

:tipshat: