Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There'd be a nest inside the raptor pen, though, and we know the raptors don't clean that up, because fossil record. And the baby raptors would have to slip out while they were small enough to get through the bars, but we also know that the raptors took good care of the babies.

You know, I'm beginning to think that Michael Crichton didn't think this through all the way. The movie is way better than the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gennaro randomly dying of dysentery right after the book is kind of funny seeing how Malcolm gets brought back from the dead.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Requesting name change to solid snake boat raptors

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

ante posted:

There'd be a nest inside the raptor pen, though, and we know the raptors don't clean that up, because fossil record. And the baby raptors would have to slip out while they were small enough to get through the bars, but we also know that the raptors took good care of the babies.

You know, I'm beginning to think that Michael Crichton didn't think this through all the way. The movie is way better than the book.

They specifically mention that nobody is going into the raptor pen anymore because it's too dangerous (so the nest presumably wouldn't be noticed) and isn't there something about how even though the raptors are nocturnal, nobody was monitoring the cameras at night or something like that?

Edit: not quite how I remember it, but still lol:

quote:

"That's right," Grant said. "Except that the raptors and the compys that are loose in the park
are probably eating the eggs of the bigger animals and perhaps eating the newly hatched young,
as well."
"But we've never seen that," Arnold said, over the radio.
"Raptors are nocturnal," he said. "Is anyone watching the park at night?"
There was a long silence.
"I didn't think so," Grant said.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 21, 2019

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

"Raptors are nocturnal," he said. "Is anyone watching the park at night?"

"How do you know this just from digging up their bones?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pooch516 posted:

The bones are pale and white.

Duh.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

pooch516 posted:

"The same way we knew T. Rex's vision is based on movement."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Imagined posted:

"The same way we knew T. Rex's vision is based on movement."

He didn’t in the book.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

Only thing I can remember from the books is that Crichton really loves GORE-TEX.

Everyone does now, it has its own fandom. Ahead of the curve as always

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/goretexhoarders/

There's even people who get gore tex sewn into their bodies now

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

plainswalker75 posted:

They specifically mention that nobody is going into the raptor pen anymore because it's too dangerous (so the nest presumably wouldn't be noticed) and isn't there something about how even though the raptors are nocturnal, nobody was monitoring the cameras at night or something like that?

Edit: not quite how I remember it, but still lol:

Do they not have cameras in the raptor pen that would spot the nests? I mean, it isn't as if the nests would move during the day. It seems like a weird oversight to have cameras EVERYWHERE but the one paddock holding the most dangerous creatures on the island.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
That enclosure was probably put together hastily on short notice, and lol at anyone getting in there to install cameras afterwards.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Great thing about the book is you can read these kinds of narrative problems either as Crichton being a dumbass or as InGen being dumbasses and it makes just as much sense either way

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The raptor nest is not physically inside of the Raptor "pen."

There is an exchange in the book where they discuss how naturally big cats do not attack humans, but once they learn that humans are quite easy to kill, they will then hunt humans. This is to set up the difference between the animals. The captive raptors have hurt humans before and learned how easy they are to hunt (the opening scene where Ed Regis flies the workman into the village doctor). The wild raptors have never seen or interacted with a human.

The escaped raptors are loose, the fences being off helps them move around in theory but they can move around anyway, they have not (to anyone's knowledge) ever hurt a large animal or human.

I still think the most reasonable explanation for the Raptor Nest Excursion is that: Grant was full of absolute poo poo and his loving life's dream was to see an actual raptor nest. He would have said that the raptor nest was full of hot strippers if it got them to go down and look at it. It makes a lot more sense if you imagine a guy who just went through all that poo poo and decides he's seeing these loving raptors before he leaves this hellhole, no matter how much of a prick he has to be.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Amazing new pin and you know Ya Boi sweetThurs is going to bring the wizard skills on the 1s and 2s

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Stern is poo, give me the Data East.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Stern is poo, give me the Data East.

All good pinball tables and companies are good and fun

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really think there's a lot of basis for this idea that the wild raptors are that different from the caged ones, they all had to be bred from caged raptors in the first place. it's established that the raptors have a lot of social structure for raising their young and birds today have demonstrated knowledge being passed from generation to generation.

Besides that I don't see why an offhand comparison to a completely unrelated animal is supposed to be taken as scientific fact anyway and not just a scary thing to build suspense in the story

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

sweet thursday posted:

All good pinball tables and companies are good and fun
Yes, both can have all of my quarters.

Or all of the money on the swipe card. W/e

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The price of pinball has vastly exceeded inflation, it was 3 plays for a dollar like 25 years ago now its triple that!

I like pinball but gently caress it's expensive now (also, I suck.)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

purple death ray posted:

I don't really think there's a lot of basis for this idea that the wild raptors are that different from the caged ones, they all had to be bred from caged raptors in the first place. it's established that the raptors have a lot of social structure for raising their young and birds today have demonstrated knowledge being passed from generation to generation.

Besides that I don't see why an offhand comparison to a completely unrelated animal is supposed to be taken as scientific fact anyway and not just a scary thing to build suspense in the story

It's not but within the story that's obviously what Crichton meant and why he added that setup. I mean as usual how i feel is the entire thing is fictional counterfactuals stacked on fictional counterfactuals.

Like the whole "these are really utahraptors thing," within the sci fi setting of JP that's definitely the author's intention between the different raptor groups, it's not a weird headcanon brain twist to make it all fit. Again raptors have been loose in the park for months/a year or so and not a single person was hurt.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

charity rereg posted:

It's not but within the story that's obviously what Crichton meant and why he added that setup. I mean as usual how i feel is the entire thing is fictional counterfactuals stacked on fictional counterfactuals.

Like the whole "these are really utahraptors thing," within the sci fi setting of JP that's definitely the author's intention between the different raptor groups, it's not a weird headcanon brain twist to make it all fit. Again raptors have been loose in the park for months/a year or so and not a single person was hurt.
They also say nobody's watching the park at night, putting aside how completely insane that is, if raptors are nocturnal hunters that could also be a reason nobody's been hurt yet. Or you could say the raptors are picking off the local labor they hired and none of the rich assholes running the place really notice or care when one doesn't show up to shovel triceratops poop the next day.
Really you can come up with a lot of explanations but personally I'd rather chalk that up to Crichton not thinking about it that much than do the work for him by coming up with in universe explanations for that kind of thing

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Plus again, the wild raptors on the boat dont kill anyone. They make the big old sea voyage to the mainland undetected until the last possible moment and would have peacefully disembarked if Grant wasn't an rear end in a top hat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grant can’t help being an rear end in a top hat, he’s a scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
*Raptor shaking front paw in anger*

"And we would have made it if it wasn't for that meddling paleontologist!"