Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Plus, I've seen more more crossover fanart of Kikuri and Suika than I've seen people treating Bocchi as a competitor.

god is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i have a friend who cosplays Suika and god willing i'll be doing Kikuri sometime with em this year

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Some of those don't seem like they are especially similar or like a threat to Touhou's popularity at all.

Who's looking at Spy X Family and thinking "Man, how are all the touhou fans going to resist jumping ship to a het family sitcom!"

I think it's probably just based on some surge in doujins or whatever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Touhou is a shootem up series which is probably why none of those things killed it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

suppatenko

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Touhou is a shootem up series which is probably why none of those things killed it

:hmmyes:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
touhou is dead and anya has killed it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

theshim posted:

touhou is dead and anya has killed it

No they're friends

https://twitter.com/syoboikarasu/status/1590484058513215488

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Zun & Toby Fox's mashup will be revealed on a livestream starting in about an hour and a half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QgGk60TOQY

And here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3Xg_sKq0w

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 12, 2024

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Battle with a true hero is a touhouish song so it meshes pretty well!

Though that was less UN Owen than it was the main touhou theme

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Though that was less UN Owen than it was the main touhou theme

That’s the right move imo.

Anyway, cool arrange but they should do a collab album

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Danmaku Kagura, featuring the Zun/Toby Fox collab as free DLC, is now out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2190220/Touhou_Danmaku_Kagura_Phantasia_Lost/

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Game's out, I'm a idiot so I got it day one.

The actual 'rythym gaming' works...adequately enough. Aquastyle is still behind the market on several areas (like really poor settings, no early/late indicators, and questionable charting difficulty) but it works, it's adequate (there's probably other stuff im missing but im a very casual music game fan). And if you don't want to deal with anything but songs, you can access them all via free play.

Be warned the difficulty is poorly balanced at the lower end and if you're not good at rythym games you might wind up hard stuck at parts for the main story, for one example Bamboo Forest of the Lost has a song that's easiest difficulty is around the upper echelons of difficulty for normal songs and some songs demand six lane difficulties (hard/lunatic)

Customization is somewhat minimal. You can't customize the lanes or beat markers, and there's only one type of note hit sound. The lack of beat marker options is particularly baffling as there's a story card that turns them into dream drops and a gimmick rule that turns them into yukkuris, why aren't those two at least a option in free play?

The collection elements are kind of bad. You can only get most heroines or mitama cards from exactly one stage/mission, but the game does not give you any way to see which stage they might be from. Heroines, you can guess based on area, but mitama cards seem to have considerably less rhyme or reason to their distribution.

Optional missions are poorly balanced. They don't scale with difficulty so some missions are absurdly easy on lower difficulty (only X misses, chains) are easy and score and boss kills are way too hard without high levels. Half the gimmicks are a joke, sand and poison are kind of a pain, and then shake is just Very Bad and shouldn't have been a thing. It's really intense screen shake.

The danmaku stages in general are really, really badly balanced. Their HP pools are balanced like this is still a gacha game and you're supposed to work on clearing them over time, not a single player, offline game. The four lane ones are also absolute hell, asking you to keep track of charts on both sides of the screen, using four fingers on one hand, whilst also dodging danmaku and blasting enemies is Too Much.

The story is remarkably bad but in a unexpected way. About 30% of it is cute cut-scenes with Marisa and other touhous doing inane conversations in her search for Marisa. They have remarkably shallow and boring characterizations, but they're not offensively terrible or anything. It's about what you'd expect, and they are not the problem.

The problem comes into play where the other roughly 70% is a visual novel style setup where Reimu goes from ruined town to town talking to featureless 'Ephemerals' and helping them through problems and learning aesops in a way that'd feel at home in a boring but inoffensive children's book or TV show. It takes the series greatest strength, the cast of characters, and completely throws it into the trash can in favor of a story that's rather terrible. It's especially baffling because everything in the Touhou Genso Wanderer series shows they can write mountains of banal dialogue of touhous bouncing off eachother, which would be low quality junk food but at least...touhou? You don't need to slavishly adhere to only the canon characters of course, new characters and ideas are fun and exciting, but this both goes way too far and is not even worth your time.

Spoilers: Frustratingly, it shows flashes of a story about 'oh no Gensokyo breaking' which would be at least a Actual Story but they're so intermittent, scattershot, and brief that they don't do more but frustrate you and it goes to a pretty non-satisfying ending.

i guess worth a look if you're a touhou AND rythym game fan and don't mind some jank, otherwise 50% off is probably the sweet spot. there's a lot of negative words here but it is enjoyable in the end.

also they call the netherworld "hades" which is a boon or a sin depending on how you see things.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
If you're an idiot for getting it Day One, I must be an absolute buffoon for backing it.

Speaking as a rhythm game vet, I'm plenty satisfied. Once you play the tutorial song, you can immediately jump into Free Play mode and skip everything else. Better off-set timing options would be nice, but the songlist is very solid and runs the gamut from well worn classics (lots of Yuuhei Satellite as expected but only one song is the original Senya version????????) to hidden gems.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

leather fedora posted:

If you're an idiot for getting it Day One, I must be an absolute buffoon for backing it.

Speaking as a rhythm game vet, I'm plenty satisfied. Once you play the tutorial song, you can immediately jump into Free Play mode and skip everything else. Better off-set timing options would be nice, but the songlist is very solid and runs the gamut from well worn classics (lots of Yuuhei Satellite as expected but only one song is the original Senya version????????) to hidden gems.

Entirely fair, also they've been real fast at fixing the issues so big kudos to the devs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1847150/Touhou_Genso_Wanderer_FORESIGHT/

New Genso Wanderer has been formally announced after being soft announced on twtiter last year and will release in two months. Big emphasis on meta progression and ease of access this time around, probably as a course correction to the last Genso Wanderer being blasted for being absurdly hard even by 2010s standards, and the general obsession with Maximum Difficulty At All Times in touhou fangames fading as of late. The times, they are a changin'.

Also looks to be the Genso Wanderer with the most day 1 content by far, with at least two main big dungeons confirmed, a third soft confirmed by Reisen's presence, and side dungeons. Combine that with the graphics overhaul and they've put a lot of care into this one, looks like. They did, however, also nerf Reimu's ribbon.

The plot of this one, in short:

but add in perfect cherry blossom and imperishable night too.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/1769540905818562752
Happy Birthday to The Head Priest

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Happy birthday :toot:

40s running out…

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

El Burbo posted:

40s running out…

:same:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm going to play Luna Nights, again, and it's going to be one of the best platformers I've ever played, again

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LazyMaybe posted:

I'm going to play Luna Nights, again, and it's going to be one of the best platformers I've ever played, again

correct

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Gensou Mahjong is getting a big update soon along with its Steam release and soundtrack details just dropped today.

Nostalgic Blood of the East by Tatsuya Uemura of Toaplan (Tiger-Heli, Out Zone, Zero Wing)
Little Princess by Takeaki Kunimoto of Hudson Soft (Star Soldier, Milon's Secret Castle, RoboWarrior)
Gensokyo the Gods Loved by Hiroyuki Kawada of Namco (Legend of Valkyrie, Time Crisis, etc.)
Grimoire of Alice by Hiroaki Sano (Lyrical Nanoha series, Sekirei, various galge)
Missing Power by Junya Nakano of Konami/Square-Enix (X-Men, Threads of Fate, FFX)
Septet for the Dead Princess by Takeshi Abo of Mages (Steins Gate, Ever17, Memories Off)
DREAM BATTLE BY MOTOI SAKURABA

https://twitter.com/EtlanZ/status/1776912812419530977

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That and Yuka Kitamura, head composer of Elden Ring's first non FromSoftware job being that Touhou Empires game is a wild world we live in.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
New music CD coming:

https://x.com/korindo/status/1777565824485921162?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

RIP Maribel, died and became a Yukari.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It’s a great day for these kinds of drawings

https://twitter.com/wagocolo/status/1777714867962835069?s=46&t=RfhlX-UN9YMscISDFJ-6Yw

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

did he finally confirm it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Well no but her hat has a ribbon on it now. Big development