Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
The volume of unsolicited email I receive shot up about an order of magnitude after I started giving donations through ActBlue, most of it from Democratic candidates and PACs. I don't think I'm ever donating to a candidate through ActBlue ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thanatosian posted:

The volume of unsolicited email I receive shot up about an order of magnitude after I started giving donations through ActBlue, most of it from Democratic candidates and PACs. I don't think I'm ever donating to a candidate through ActBlue ever again.

Yeah, let’s put a pin in that thought for future plans

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Is that where it all came from? I did a couple donations through ActBlue, and my spam box had ~200 political emails asking for money in the weeks leading up to the election.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

devicenull posted:

Is that where it all came from? I did a couple donations through ActBlue, and my spam box had ~200 political emails asking for money in the weeks leading up to the election.

Yup. I was easily getting 20-30 per day from races I did not care about at all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's how the game works, guys. Surely you are savvy enough to hit the tiny unsubscribed button at the bottom of the emails.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How are u posted:

That's how the game works, guys. Surely you are savvy enough to hit the tiny unsubscribed button at the bottom of the emails.

No I open and reply to each and every unsolicited email I get and 1st politely request they do not send me another and if they do then I start to point out the various positions of authority that family and friends work in and ratchet up the subtle threats from there, I am 90 years old.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
ActBlue or not, once you make a political contribution, it is public knowledge. They scan those donor lists and match the names with contact info from other databases to start sending the emails/calls/texts. I'm not saying they aren't adding to the emails. When you donate to ActBlue I'm pretty sure it will update your email in the Democratic party DB (NGPVAN) as well, but it is not the only thing getting you on those lists.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

I just mark as spam - It seems pointless to unsubscribe from a million different PACs, just for a new one to start up tomorrow and keep harassing me.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

devicenull posted:

I just mark as spam - It seems pointless to unsubscribe from a million different PACs, just for a new one to start up tomorrow and keep harassing me.

Keep up the good work, most donation begging emails seem to autosort into my spam bin lately so the algorithms must be learning!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
As long as I was giving to Bernie and AOC and Mikayla or Cori Bush I was ok. The second I sent donation that included an organization when I had to split a donation it just blew up and I got a billion emails every day.

Then I also got snail mail and so did my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think this is worth considering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KBRDK7xD0E