Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
low yield tac-nukes are comin back baby!!

AWWUUOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Can’t they just rebrand nuclear power? Maybe people will stop freaking out and protesting if the power plants are called like “green rainbow stations”

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

Can’t they just rebrand nuclear power? Maybe people will stop freaking out and protesting if the power plants are called like “green rainbow stations”

We could have had extremely efficient and safe molten salt reactors in the 60s but you can't easily make nuclear bombs using that technology so no one's ever gonna pay for the final developments as everything nuclear is taboo. Even though they could potentially reuse and eat up the current much more dangerous waste so it won't have to be stored in a mountain for thousands of years.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Rad-daddio posted:

Was their PR person at least an engineer? That must've been a bloodbath.

I think they had an MS in Chemistry, but with some exceptions if you get an MS in chemistry these days it generally means you failed your PhD exams and the masters was a consolation prize.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Irradiation posted:

I think they had an MS in Chemistry, but with some exceptions if you get an MS in chemistry these days it generally means you failed your PhD exams and the masters was a consolation prize.

You don't fail your phd defense, you just drop out before you do it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
You can fail qualifying exams at most programs but it's pretty hard to do

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
is there any way to generate clean energy by tweeting a bunch, or by making an instagram post with a lot of likes?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

CharlestonJew posted:

is there any way to generate clean energy by tweeting a bunch, or by making an instagram post with a lot of likes?

Have you ever heard of a buttcoin my goon sire

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Dyatlov probably did more harm to the climate than any other single person in history

e: probably tied with ghouls like the Koch brothers though

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bad Purchase posted:

probably because you can’t sell the waste to the government as a component for high yield explosives, won’t somebody think of the national security??

Power plant waste isn’t really used to make weapons. We have DOE facilities staffed by the Army that run reactors that specifically breed plutonium for that purpose. The cost and time it takes to reprocess spent reactor fuel into weapons material just isn’t worth it.

It sucks that even with the amazing combined knowledge of nuclear operators, engineers, and mechanics we have on this forum that people still believe poo poo like this. I’m not like mad, calling you out or something. But it’s that exact type of thinking (POWER PLANTS ARE OR WILL BECOME NUCLEAR BOMBS!!!) that basically killed the nuclear industry in the first place and forced us to go back to coal (mostly)

People talk a lot of poo poo on Jane Fonda for the ‘nam thing but using the fear of the TMI incident to hawk her stupid bullshit movie is like, beyond the loving pale

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Just gonna repost this in case anyone missed it, wherein a working reactor is deliberately subjected to the same accidents that happened at both TMI and Fukishima, and you won't believe what happens next!! Greens and oilers hate it!!!!

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's awful man

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Creamed Cormp posted:

that's awful man

huh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'll say it. Put it in my back yard. Weirdo prisoners, crazy radioactive power schemes, France, whatever. I'll take it. Let my backyard be the backyard that has everything others are too afraid to put in their own back yards.

Docteur
Jan 4, 2019
People being so pro-nuclear on this forum is making me extremely happy.
I'm French, so my taxes went to this disaster, and I can tell you that the vast majority of my countrymen will still think it's a "better alternative to nuclear". A lot of them think Chernobyl killed/impacted french people, too.

:smith:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I have a bunch of german family and they're always shocked to learn they have twice the emission footprint per capita as french citizens and suck putin's natgas dick

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Pvt.Scott posted:

Also, the Davy Crockett nuclear bazooka was pretty nuts.

Wait, that was REAL? :aaaaa:

I thought that was just something Hideo Kojima made up for MGS3 lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So ok, I get it, solar roads are out. But what about solar rails?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why don't we put solar panels on solar panels, kill two birds with one stone

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
haha loving solar what a goddamn joke *descends into the ocean and loving dies

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
At least you French and Germans can get wind turbines. Here people have kept them away in many places because it gives them headaches or something. Meanwhile they get their power from coal plants which are in a poor neighborhood so all the poor people get sick instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mr. Bones posted:

Wait, that was REAL? :aaaaa:

I thought that was just something Hideo Kojima made up for MGS3 lol

It was indeed a thing. I think they built a few test models before canning the idea. It was supposed to be used as an area-denial weapon, sorta like a minefield, but with radiation.