Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Falukorv posted:

Yeah Walton Goggins is a real scene-stealer. First thing i saw him in was Justified a decade ago and already then one of the most watchable characters among a very colourful cast.

I'm assuming you've seen The Shield, but if you haven't, do so. He, along with literally everyone else, is fantastic on it, absolutely bringing their best.

Every time I read some bullshit article about "best TV series finales/endings", and The Shield isn't mentioned, my opinion of whatever website I'm reading it on tanks. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n5OD1Vwd8A

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming you've seen The Shield, but if you haven't, do so. He, along with literally everyone else, is fantastic on it, absolutely bringing their best.

Every time I read some bullshit article about "best TV series finales/endings", and The Shield isn't mentioned, my opinion of whatever website I'm reading it on tanks. :colbert:

Its one of the best shows of all time and Goggins is so good in it. Just a piece of garbage who life falls apart the whole time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gurragadon posted:

Its one of the best shows of all time and Goggins is so good in it. Just a piece of garbage who life falls apart the whole time.

He aimed for the Vic Mackey life, but unfortunately he wasn't Vic Mackey.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's where I saw him first and he's amazing. Family meeting still gives me chills whenever I think about it, which is like once a week. The show owns too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

That's where I saw him first and he's amazing. Family meeting still gives me chills whenever I think about it, which is like once a week. The show owns too.

Even though it may not be how things would go down realistically, Vic Mackey and that tape recorder scene... The pause before he starts talking is just incredible.

And if anyone just looks it up without having seen the previous 6 (at that point, mostly 7) wonderful seasons of The Shield, the sheer impact is almost completely lost. You won't hear him say a lot of stuff, but in between scenes, those who have watched know what he said, and how he didn't leave anything out. For me, that's peak Shield.

Everyone go watch The Shield. It's a cop show, but it's certainly not painting anyone in a good light. gently caress, not even Dani.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
That actually reminds me (this should probably go in a new PYF thread if there isn't one already): I absolutely love lines from movies/shows/games that, out of context, are just some mundane-rear end sentence, but in context, fill you with some much dread. And boy, does "family meeting" absolutely fit that! :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

That actually reminds me (this should probably go in a new PYF thread if there isn't one already): I absolutely love lines from movies/shows/games that, out of context, are just some mundane-rear end sentence, but in context, fill you with some much dread. And boy, does "family meeting" absolutely fit that! :stare:

I'd subscribe to that thread.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
This year I got about six episodes into The Shield before I quit, it was just a little too much "toxic 00's male" energy after finishing Deadwood. Ever since watching Bojack Horseman satirize shows with a Toxic Leading Male my tolerance has really dropped. Maybe I need to try again after something more wholesome.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Toxic leading males own

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tequila25 posted:

This year I got about six episodes into The Shield before I quit, it was just a little too much "toxic 00's male" energy after finishing Deadwood. Ever since watching Bojack Horseman satirize shows with a Toxic Leading Male my tolerance has really dropped. Maybe I need to try again after something more wholesome.

As with so many shows, the first season is arguably the weakest, and yeah, it's got a lot of that kind of thing. The first episode has a drug bust put to that kid rock song. That poo poo gets way better. Good use of Disarm (Smashing Pumpkins) and I Am Overcome (Live).

Seasons 4 and 5 (jfc, season 5 :stare:) are just incredible tv, so I highly recommend sticking with it.

Consider season 1 like a character primer for everyone. Just getting to know them and their deal, generally. Pretty much everyone flourishes in one way or another as it goes on (and I'm referring to the actors, not necessarily the characters).

I think The Shield deals with consequences better than Breaking Bad did, it's just a bit rougher around the edges.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/crouton_futon/status/1708893325120479510?t=OZQiF6VUL2f2PITUTM0aog&s=19

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter is definitely the rock and roll president

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Jimmy Carter is definitely the rock and roll president

With your username, you could take over the ill-fated gameshow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know that most of not all of us ITT are familiar with real life televangelism and mega churches, but even so, this video is a great look at the empire and seedy poo poo of the living skeleton-lich hybrid that is Kenneth Copeland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoEJoKggPd4

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The thing I never got about him is that if anybody could be said to look demonic, he's got to be near the top of the list with his creepy smile and dead eyes, so it's crazy to me that a bunch of religious people said yep that's our guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The thing I never got about him is that if anybody could be said to look demonic, he's got to be near the top of the list with his creepy smile and dead eyes, so it's crazy to me that a bunch of religious people said yep that's our guy.

It's incredibly disturbing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The first 15 seconds of the linked clip alone are unnerving.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had a Gemstone dream that young Jesse exposed an affair within the community with the help of his breakdancing crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1744332147840983063?t=D3ezUEizOnSSRHyQl9S74g&s=19