Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im so confused

oh why is he an only child in this perfect world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Your questions will be answered.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ep 11 :( feel slike this is the reality elliot deserves but feels too weird

oh ok that ending what the fuuuck

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ep 12, lol that intro, was wodnering if mr roboto would ever be played, and yeah this is the perfect time

at no time did i ever think the show would head this way lol, and im loving every minute of it

queeb fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 26, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the gently caress is going on

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what the gently caress

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i cant handle this episode, ive been what the loving for like 40 minutes

jesus christ elliot

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how is there only 1 ep left what the gently caress

i need to sleep, will finish and post thoughts tomorrow.

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

there's only 50 pages in this thread i think im gonna have to go back and read all the reactions to season 4 after i finish tomorrow lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:sickos:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

queeb posted:

The Finer Arts > TV IV > Mr. Robot - what the gently caress

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
i like the ending but I get the feeling I'm in the minority there

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cranappleberry posted:

i like the ending but I get the feeling I'm in the minority there
I think a lot of us feel like it's an excellent ending from an artistic standpoint, but it needed more set-up and also it's sort of an unfair rug pull when the show goes really hard at trying to convince the audience that there are genuine sci-fi goings-on occurring, only to sort of shame us for wanting to believe it because it's such a cool thing to happen.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Strange Matter posted:

I think a lot of us feel like it's an excellent ending from an artistic standpoint, but it needed more set-up and also it's sort of an unfair rug pull when the show goes really hard at trying to convince the audience that there are genuine sci-fi goings-on occurring, only to sort of shame us for wanting to believe it because it's such a cool thing to happen.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Strange Matter posted:

I would largely agree with this, but would add: It felt like a good conclusion for Eliot the character but unsatisfactory for Mr Robot the story. If the story wasn’t really going to engage with whatever white roses thing was why spend so much time on it?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

everydayfalls posted:

I would largely agree with this, but would add: It felt like a good conclusion for Eliot the character but unsatisfactory for Mr Robot the story. If the story wasn’t really going to engage with whatever white roses thing was why spend so much time on it?
Back when we first watched it I drew a lot of comparisons to The Ending to Battlestar Galactica, which was always a show with two parallel components that only occasionally intersected: the science fiction angle of fleet fighting the Cylons while trying to find their home, and the spiritual angle of the seemingly supernatural things occurring through the series without adequate explanation. As fans we sort of expected a reconciliation between these two halves, but instead the supernatural side just sort of eats the sci-fi side altogether, making that part of the story seem unimportant.

Mr. Robot does sort of a similar thing where the the psychodrama angle of Elliot and his psychological conditions and trauma and his very identity is one narrative, and the story of taking down E-Corp and eventually stopping Whiterose is a different narrative, and the two don't have much to do with one another. For a split second the final 3 episodes make us think that maybe they are compatible, that Elliot would come face to face with a very real, tangible reality where his problems don't exist and have to make hard choices about what to do, but instead it's just more psychodrama, and the show seems like it wants us to feel stupid for believing it in the first place, which I think I speak for a lot of people here in saying it left a sour taste from a narrative standpoint.

Maybe it comes together more cohesively when you binge it, but watching it week to week almost nobody was happy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

everydayfalls posted:

(full series spoilers)

I think it's a natural extension of the series' interest in doubles and paths not chosen; Eliot's got a fantasy life that he uses to cope with personal tragedies, the pressure of the world, etc. and White Rose has something similar.

I mean, I think I get it. This idea that she sells her followers on, that she's sold herself on, is fairly seductive, and that so many other people believe it and that smart people are pushing it, that must mean it's true, yeah? So showing the extend of the belief helps the viewer understand why people get peer pressured into this way of thinking, or just become too committed to change course.

So yeah, I think the time was used to engage with White Rose's plans. It just was looking at a different SFal idea; a sociological look at mass delusion rather than some sort of "actual" time travel story.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

finished it, overall just 4 amazing seasons of TV i cant wait to watch again, doing some boxing day stuff so I'll post more thoughts in a bit but

I do think the series is way better when you binge. I didnt have time to look for clues in every episode or speculate, I just took what was in front of me and moved right to the next one. i do feel slightly rugpulled about the sci-fi potential but also enjoyed the ending

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Keeping this in spoilers just to be safe.

The alternate reality idea completely blew this thread up when it first happened. The biggest detail was the F-Corp logo, which lead to the idea that maybe this wasn't the first time this had all happened, and that maybe E-Corp was preceded by D-Corp, C-Corp, etc, and that it was a continual attempt by Whiterose to rewrite reality to her liking. We also all thought that Tyrell had fallen into the alternate reality through whatever experience he had just before dying. All such crazy stuff and were losing our minds.

Part of what made it kind of disappointing was not only that we got rug pulled, but that the show sort of made it seem like all that excitement and speculation was a waste of time; moreover, it robbed Tyrell's death of any real closure and it's just left as a weird, open ended mystery as to what exactly he experienced out in the woods.

A lot of the discussion at the time revolved around whether it was justified to feel kind of cheated by the ending. I always felt like, and still do feel, like the reveal of the Mastermind should probably have occurred before the final episode, that way more of the psychodrama could revolve around who the real Elliot actually is. Some folks felt that the show was always about Elliot's identity and mental struggles, and the cyberthriller portion wasn't really important, but a lot of people I think see the show as always being about Both, and the arc of the final season doesn't really do enough to merge the narratives in a meaningful way.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Strange Matter posted:

Keeping this in spoilers just to be safe.

The alternate reality idea completely blew this thread up when it first happened. The biggest detail was the F-Corp logo, which lead to the idea that maybe this wasn't the first time this had all happened, and that maybe E-Corp was preceded by D-Corp, C-Corp, etc, and that it was a continual attempt by Whiterose to rewrite reality to her liking. We also all thought that Tyrell had fallen into the alternate reality through whatever experience he had just before dying. All such crazy stuff and were losing our minds.

Part of what made it kind of disappointing was not only that we got rug pulled, but that the show sort of made it seem like all that excitement and speculation was a waste of time; moreover, it robbed Tyrell's death of any real closure and it's just left as a weird, open ended mystery as to what exactly he experienced out in the woods.

Finale Spoilers

Honestly, as someone who was really into theorizing about the out there sci fi aspects of this show as it aired, I never felt like I had the rug pulled out from under me with the finale. Yeah, the show got me to buy into wild theories about alternate realities, but getting me to the point where I'm occupying the same mindspace as Angela slamming the rewind button or Whiterose fervently dreaming of an impossibly better world is a triumph all on its own, and I always thought it tied together extremely well with Elliot's own relatively grounded issues with rejecting reality. There is a gotcha, I guess, but it's a gotcha rooted in getting you to empathize so totally with these characters that you buy into their delusions right along with them. I could never feel let down by that.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Also finale spoilers

The only thing I dislike about the Mastermind reveal is that it seemed to shift the dynamics between "Elliot" and "Mr Robot", since the latter seemed to be the one who wanted to bring down E-Corp for all of seasons 1-3 by any means necessary.
Yes Mr Robot was also the protector, but he was moreso the Mastermind than the actual Mastermind.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
always gotta have a wow ending

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the reveal about identities starts in season 1. It's not easy to piece together but the clues are there. Also, all of the identities want to bring down E-corp or whatever, it's a struggle between different values within the same person. Doing whatever is necessary, working with who you have to vs working with a small group of people you know and can verify. Staying within a certain moral code. Same with completing that one particular goal and moving on versus trying to solve every conceivable problem, eventually in a desperate bid to hang on. The cognitive dissonance experienced by elliot just happens to be so extreme.

The fact that the division of emotional labor was different between them with the pov and audience not knowing the truth, created a power imbalance and also a way for the writers to hide things and slowly pull back the view.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Sio posted:

Finale Spoilers

Honestly, as someone who was really into theorizing about the out there sci fi aspects of this show as it aired, I never felt like I had the rug pulled out from under me with the finale. Yeah, the show got me to buy into wild theories about alternate realities, but getting me to the point where I'm occupying the same mindspace as Angela slamming the rewind button or Whiterose fervently dreaming of an impossibly better world is a triumph all on its own, and I always thought it tied together extremely well with Elliot's own relatively grounded issues with rejecting reality. There is a gotcha, I guess, but it's a gotcha rooted in getting you to empathize so totally with these characters that you buy into their delusions right along with them. I could never feel let down by that.
I think that was definitely the intention here, but it does seem massively unfair to the audience because the audience has different expectations than the characters who are subject to Whiterose's shenanigans. We don't really see very deeply into anyone other than Whiterose and Angela but they both are trying to escape trauma and a reality into which they don't fit, and are willing to do anything to achieve that goal because their delusion tells them that none of it will matter in the end because everything bad that happened can be undone. For them, Whiterose's Machine is dream promising the repair of their broken lives.

For the audience the machine has always been an enigma, and up until the moment it finally seems to go off nobody in this thread even had any thought that it would work or that if it did we could see it. Our widespread assumption was that the machine either could never work or that if it did it wouldn't matter because Elliot wouldn't accept its false hope, were it to come down to him. But then it does go off and suddenly we're shown that, bah gawd, it does work and now the dilemma has shifted from choosing whether or not to accept a comforting delusion or work through your pain into an ethical quandary of what if there was an escape hatch from your reality, is it worth the cost to take it? It tied up the loose string of Tyrell's death and added a new layer to the show's world even, that such a thing could be possible. Most importantly, we've seen it, and we finally understand what would make a rational person like Angela go off the deep end like she does.

The reason why a lot of people feel like it was a rug pull is that when the reveal happens it goes from "something extremely cool and unexpected happened" into "all this is a very conveniently convincing continuation of what's been happening to Elliot all along" and I know I picked up on an element of "don't you feel silly for falling for it." I guess you can read that as putting us in the same emotional headspace as Angela, but that doesn't really do anything for me, because i'm watching the show to see something cool and interesting and suspenseful, and so the feeling it leaves me with isn't revelation, it's disappointment because the cool and interesting and suspenseful thing wasn't real.

EDIT: Are we comfortable leaving the black box dimension now that everyone is up to speed?

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
oh and the actor that played ollie did a great job with that character, too. Hit the lines and timing perfectly.